How to find out encoding of a file

Hendrik Maryns
Hi,

I have some problems with the encoding of the file
toolkit/installer/[windows|linux]/install.it.  Patches tend to replace
special symbols such as ë into boxes.  What encoding is it in, and how
can I find this out myself in the future?

TIA, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: How to find out encoding of a file

erkan kaplan
Hendrik Maryns yazmış:
> Hi,
>
> I have some problems with the encoding of the file
> toolkit/installer/[windows|linux]/install.it.  Patches tend to replace
> special symbols such as ë into boxes.  What encoding is it in, and how
> can I find this out myself in the future?
>
> TIA, H.

On a Linux maschine you can determine it with "file" command:

$ file windows/install.it
windows/install.it: ISO-8859 text
$ file windows/charset.mk
windows/charset.mk: ASCII text

$ file unix/install.it
unix/install.it: UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines

erkaN

Re: How to find out encoding of a file

Hendrik Maryns
erkan kaplan uitte de volgende tekst op 26/11/2005 18:48:

> Hendrik Maryns yazmış:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some problems with the encoding of the file
>> toolkit/installer/[windows|linux]/install.it.  Patches tend to replace
>> special symbols such as ë into boxes.  What encoding is it in, and how
>> can I find this out myself in the future?
>>
>> TIA, H.
>

> On a Linux maschine you can determine it with "file" command:

Thanks, but I want to know the encoding of the remote file on cvs, I
know the encoding of my local files, but this sometimes gives trouble
when patching if they differ.  Isn’t there a more complete list then
what I can distill from
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_what2.html?  I.e. for files
with other endings.

H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: How to find out encoding of a file

Rod Whiteley
Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> I have some problems with the encoding of the file
> toolkit/installer/[windows|linux]/install.it...

I looked at a few examples.  For Windows the charset seems to be set by
the CHARSET entry in the file itself, in conjunction with the charset.mk
file.  There is no encoding.  For Unix, the charset seems to be Unicode
and the encoding UTF-8.

--
Rod Whiteley