How to figure out what caused thunderbird segfault

How to figure out what caused thunderbird segfault

Anton Pleskanovskyy
I've successfully built Thunderbird 60.2.1 from original source archive both using clang and gcc. But when I try to run fresh compiled thunderbird binary executing ./mach run command,  Thunderbird crashes with segfault error.
strace log for that binary you can see at http://batman.gyptis.org/zerobin/?d7ed39c98bca7cee#2fDx+dyUG0afYNqObC/vZFlorzWWLwhAhh86YqF3Z3A=

So, how can I "defeat" the segfault of my app and get thunderbird up and running for my testing needs?

Re: How to figure out what caused thunderbird segfault

Jörg Knobloch
On 25/10/2018 17:57, Anton Pleskanovskyy wrote:
> So, how can I "defeat" the segfault of my app and get thunderbird up and running for my testing needs?

We really don't know. Maybe try attaching a debugger and see where it
crashes.

Jörg.

четверг, 25 октября 2018 г., 20:54:31 UTC+3 пользователь Jörg Knobloch написал:
> On 25/10/2018 17:57, Anton Pleskanovskyy wrote:
> > So, how can I "defeat" the segfault of my app and get thunderbird up and running for my testing needs?
>
> We really don't know. Maybe try attaching a debugger and see where it
> crashes.
>
> Jörg.

Where can I find some of developer docs how to debug Thunerbird the correct way?

On 25/10/2018 20:01, Anton Pleskanovskyy wrote:
> Where can I find some of developer docs how to debug Thunerbird the correct way?

There are no documents. You're basically asking how to become a
developer in one day ;-) And also ...

No one of the developers builds TB 60.2.1 from source since it would
require "old" compiler and rust versions. We have the binaries built on
automation.

That said, the Linux packaging people must build it somehow, CC'ing two
here now.

Jörg.

Re: How to figure out what caused thunderbird segfault

Wayne Mery
On 10/25/2018 4:54 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:

> On 25/10/2018 20:01, Anton Pleskanovskyy wrote:
>> Where can I find some of developer docs how to debug Thunerbird the
>> correct way?
>
> There are no documents. You're basically asking how to become a
> developer in one day ;-) And also ...
>
> No one of the developers builds TB 60.2.1 from source since it would
> require "old" compiler and rust versions. We have the binaries built on
> automation.
>
> That said, the Linux packaging people must build it somehow, CC'ing two
> here now.
>
> Jörg.

IF you a) get a reliable stack signature, and b) IF that signature has a
reproducible bug report (or you have reproducible steps that a developer
can reproduce) then you have a chance of getting it fixed.

But you need both (unless perhaps its a distro issue). And to get a) you
need a stack with Thunderbird symbols
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/How_to_get_a_stacktrace_for_a_bug_report
which is far from impossible.

четверг, 25 октября 2018 г., 23:54:37 UTC+3 пользователь Jörg Knobloch написал:

> On 25/10/2018 20:01, Anton Pleskanovskyy wrote:
> > Where can I find some of developer docs how to debug Thunerbird the correct way?
>
> There are no documents. You're basically asking how to become a
> developer in one day ;-) And also ...
>
> No one of the developers builds TB 60.2.1 from source since it would
> require "old" compiler and rust versions. We have the binaries built on
> automation.
>
> That said, the Linux packaging people must build it somehow, CC'ing two
> here now.
>
> Jörg.

ok, thanks for your reply. Perhaps I'll try sources (as well as original distro toolchain) from Debian src repository next time.