How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

I run SM SMPmW118 in mail-only mode and FF 10.0.5 as my browser as the
browser function in SM doesn't function properly on some sites I often
visit. But I need some help from this group how to solve an annoying
problem when I receive mail with certain attachemts, namely files in the
.DOC and .dat format (I got a mail from Mensys with an attached file
that had the name of winmail.dat). Problem is that SM won't display
these file formats for me. When I go into the Helper section of the
SM->Navigator the .dat file format is listed as of type
'application/ms-tnf' and the .doc file format is listed as of type
'application/msword'.

I'm very frustrated not beeing able to read these attachemts, so does
there exist some program that can help me display these attachment file
types, i.e. .doc and .dat? Best would be if the program could be used as
a plugin rather than a helper application because a helper application
would eat much more memory than a plugin would and my system have only
640Mib RAM in it. Obviously, OpenOffice should be able to read at least
attached documents with the .doc extension, but OO 3.1 is a real memory
hog: it won't start when I have SM and FF running. So can any component
in OO 3.1 be used as a plugin in SM, so I can read these pesky documents
by just clicking on them in the Attachment box in the email? If OO 3.1
can't display these documnt types, does some other program (preferably
small) exist that can cut the mustard for me?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 16th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> I run SM SMPmW118 in mail-only mode and FF 10.0.5 as my browser as the
> browser function in SM doesn't function properly on some sites I often
> visit. But I need some help from this group how to solve an annoying
> problem when I receive mail with certain attachemts, namely files in the
> .DOC and .dat format (I got a mail from Mensys with an attached file
> that had the name of winmail.dat). Problem is that SM won't display
> these file formats for me. When I go into the Helper section of the
> SM->Navigator the .dat file format is listed as of type
> 'application/ms-tnf' and the .doc file format is listed as of type
> 'application/msword'.
>
> I'm very frustrated not beeing able to read these attachemts, so does
> there exist some program that can help me display these attachment file
> types, i.e. .doc and .dat? Best would be if the program could be used as
> a plugin rather than a helper application because a helper application
> would eat much more memory than a plugin would and my system have only
> 640Mib RAM in it. Obviously, OpenOffice should be able to read at least
> attached documents with the .doc extension, but OO 3.1 is a real memory
> hog: it won't start when I have SM and FF running. So can any component
> in OO 3.1 be used as a plugin in SM, so I can read these pesky documents
> by just clicking on them in the Attachment box in the email? If OO 3.1
> can't display these documnt types, does some other program (preferably
> small) exist that can cut the mustard for me?

Are they actually MS DOC and MS TNF? Often people just save text as doc
or dat in which case they should read fine in any text editor. Try
saving the files to disk and look at them.
If you need to convert a MS DOC to text there is a program called
antiword on Hobbes that will convert it to text though you will lose all
formatting. StarOffice will also display a lot of DOC files but for
newer ones probably OpenOffice is your only choice.
Depending on who is sending them you can always complain to them and get
them to send you them in a better format
Dave

Re: How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

James Moe-3
On 07/26/2012 04:22 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> I need some help from this group how to solve an annoying
> problem when I receive mail with certain attachemts, namely files in the
> .DOC and .dat format (I got a mail from Mensys with an attached file
> that had the name of winmail.dat).

  You require a program that can display Microsoft Word documents. As
mentioned, antiword extracts the text content of a DOC. Staroffice or
Openoffice likely can display as intended.
  TNEF on hobbes can extract various bits from a <winmail.dat> file.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

Bob-351
winmail.dat is a result of a setting in Outlook used by the sender. This
can be a problem even for Windows users. See this MS note.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053
Here is an online converter
http://www.winmaildat.com/
Depending on the word version being used you can see the text using e.exe.

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> I run SM SMPmW118 in mail-only mode and FF 10.0.5 as my browser as the
> browser function in SM doesn't function properly on some sites I often
> visit. But I need some help from this group how to solve an annoying
> problem when I receive mail with certain attachemts, namely files in the
> .DOC and .dat format (I got a mail from Mensys with an attached file
> that had the name of winmail.dat). Problem is that SM won't display
> these file formats for me. When I go into the Helper section of the
> SM->Navigator the .dat file format is listed as of type
> 'application/ms-tnf' and the .doc file format is listed as of type
> 'application/msword'.
>
> I'm very frustrated not beeing able to read these attachemts, so does
> there exist some program that can help me display these attachment file
> types, i.e. .doc and .dat? Best would be if the program could be used as
> a plugin rather than a helper application because a helper application
> would eat much more memory than a plugin would and my system have only
> 640Mib RAM in it. Obviously, OpenOffice should be able to read at least
> attached documents with the .doc extension, but OO 3.1 is a real memory
> hog: it won't start when I have SM and FF running. So can any component
> in OO 3.1 be used as a plugin in SM, so I can read these pesky documents
> by just clicking on them in the Attachment box in the email? If OO 3.1
> can't display these documnt types, does some other program (preferably
> small) exist that can cut the mustard for me?
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
> --
> /GAIA (Insulin User - 16th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
>        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
>        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
>        Team DRW     - Dare Refuse Windows
>        Chunkawakan

Re: How to display email attachments that are in the .doc or .dat file format?

Lewis Rosenthal-2
On 07/28/12 06:12 pm, Bob thus wrote :

> winmail.dat is a result of a setting in Outlook used by the sender. This
> can be a problem even for Windows users. See this MS note.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053
> Here is an online converter
> http://www.winmaildat.com/
> Depending on the word version being used you can see the text using e.exe.
>
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> I run SM SMPmW118 in mail-only mode and FF 10.0.5 as my browser as the
>> browser function in SM doesn't function properly on some sites I often
>> visit. But I need some help from this group how to solve an annoying
>> problem when I receive mail with certain attachemts, namely files in the
>> .DOC and .dat format (I got a mail from Mensys with an attached file
>> that had the name of winmail.dat). Problem is that SM won't display
>> these file formats for me. When I go into the Helper section of the
>> SM->Navigator the .dat file format is listed as of type
>> 'application/ms-tnf' and the .doc file format is listed as of type
>> 'application/msword'.

Make life easy on yourself with these blasted TNEF (Transport Neutral
Encapsulation) things:

http://lookout.mozdev.org/

Cheers/2

PS - The words "neutral" and "Microsoft" can hardly fit into the same
sentence unless they are shown in opposition to one another. It's an
oxymoron, sort of like (here, in the US, the Alternative Minimum Tax,
which is neither an "alternative" nor a "minimum" - one has *no*
alternative, and as it *adds* to one's income tax, it's surely *not* a
"minimum!").

--
Lewis