How shall I do to correctly migrate SMPmW118 to SM 2.7.2?

How shall I do to correctly migrate SMPmW118 to SM 2.7.2?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

Can you out there give me a detailed list of the steps that I must take
to migrate from SPMwM118 to SM 2.7.2 via SM 2.1?

Should I begin by deinstalling SM 2.7.2, after I have used Profile
Manager to kill the current profiles associated with 2.7.2. Does it
suffice if I first kills the profiles and then deletes all files in the
SM 2.7.2 dir tree but leaving the .cmd files as they are now?

Somebody said that for a migration from SMPmW118 to 2.7.2 one must first
use SM 2.1 to correctly migrate over bookmarks, history, forms,
passwords etcetra to the new 2.1 format and THEN migrate to 2.7.2 from
there. But I need the exact details for how I should do such a
migration. Suggestions and advice, please?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 17th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: How shall I do to correctly migrate SMPmW118 to SM 2.7.2?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Can you out there give me a detailed list of the steps that I must take
> to migrate from SPMwM118 to SM 2.7.2 via SM 2.1?

Start out by backing up your entire profiles tree. That way you can
start over if something goes wrong.

> Should I begin by deinstalling SM 2.7.2, after I have used Profile
> Manager to kill the current profiles associated with 2.7.2. Does it
> suffice if I first kills the profiles and then deletes all files in the
> SM 2.7.2 dir tree but leaving the .cmd files as they are now?

I'd guess that that would be the way to go. Perhaps move the cmd files
out of the way, then restore after reinstalling.

> Somebody said that for a migration from SMPmW118 to 2.7.2 one must first
> use SM 2.1 to correctly migrate over bookmarks, history, forms,
> passwords etcetra to the new 2.1 format and THEN migrate to 2.7.2 from
> there. But I need the exact details for how I should do such a
> migration. Suggestions and advice, please?

Clean up your profile directory so that Mozilla\SeaMonkey is gone then
install and run SM 2.1. This should migrate your 1.18 profile.
Then install 2.7.2 and use.
I haven't actually tested this procedure but it should work. If not
restore from your backup and we'll try something else.
Dave

Re: How shall I do to correctly migrate SMPmW118 to SM 2.7.2?

Ray Davison
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Can you out there give me a detailed list of the steps that I must take
> to migrate from SPMwM118 to SM 2.7.2 via SM 2.1?

Did you try the way I told you on Oct 5?  I don't recall you saying it
did not work.

Ray

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:36:09 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> > As Salaam Aleikum!
> >
> > Can you out there give me a detailed list of the steps that I must take
> > to migrate from SPMwM118 to SM 2.7.2 via SM 2.1?
>
> Start out by backing up your entire profiles tree. That way you can
> start over if something goes wrong.

I have *all* profiles backed up now on my Ba2pro backup media (it did
it's FULL backup this morning, i.e. backing up *everything* from all my
partitions (except for a few files that are greater than 2Gib).

> > Should I begin by deinstalling SM 2.7.2, after I have used Profile
> > Manager to kill the current profiles associated with 2.7.2. Does it
> > suffice if I first kills the profiles and then deletes all files in the
> > SM 2.7.2 dir tree but leaving the .cmd files as they are now?
>
> I'd guess that that would be the way to go. Perhaps move the cmd files
> out of the way, then restore after reinstalling.

So I should first fire up 2.7.2 with the Profile Manager and just kill
the current profiles and THEN execute the deinstall.exe in the 2.7.2
dir? Btw, could I protect my *.cmd files from being deleted by adding
the +r attribute to them?

> > Somebody said that for a migration from SMPmW118 to 2.7.2 one must first
> > use SM 2.1 to correctly migrate over bookmarks, history, forms,
> > passwords etcetra to the new 2.1 format and THEN migrate to 2.7.2 from
> > there. But I need the exact details for how I should do such a
> > migration. Suggestions and advice, please?
>
> Clean up your profile directory so that Mozilla\SeaMonkey is gone then

This 'Mozilla\SeaMonkey' now exist in the cat/file structure:

y:\mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla\seamonkey\Profiles\<profile name>

and it's used by SM 2.7.2 because the classic 'bookmarks.html' file now
is called 'places.sqlite". So if I fire up 2.7.2 and deletes this
profile, and THEN deinstall 2.7.2, making sure the *.cmd files are
preserved? And when this is done, I simply start SM 2.1 and let it
migrate the SMPmW118 default profile which is shared by my old mozilla
1.7.13 which identifies itself as:

Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060425

What do you and others in this ng think of this migration scheme?
I will use my 2.7.2 and the latest FF as little as possible before doing
the migration itself.

Btw, after a successful migration to 2.7.2 via SMPmW118 and SM2.1, could
I kill the profiles for my FF, then run it in migration mode so it will
pick up the now (hopefully) correct and function SM2.7.2 profile data?

Another question: In the later SM and FF version there exist a 'Sync'
function which claims that you could store for examples bookmrks,
passwords, form data etcetera on a sync server so you can access for
example a new bookmark created in SM 2.7.2 in the current stable version
of FF? Have any of you got the Sync function to work as it should?

> install and run SM 2.1. This should migrate your 1.18 profile.
> Then install 2.7.2 and use.
> I haven't actually tested this procedure but it should work. If not
> restore from your backup and we'll try something else.
> Dave

By the way, does some tool exist that one can run against a profile to
see that it is correct
and don't contains any inconstent and/or conflicting settings?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan