How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

/#!/JoePea
I'm curious to know how many pure ES% environments (with or without non-standard features like __proto__, and without any ES6 features) are still being used in the wild.

Would this come down to a browser statistics lookup? I believe there are other projects that use ES, like Rhino, Espruino, etc. Do you know of some place to get such statistics besides for browsers?

/#!/JoePea

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

Andrea Giammarchi-2
I guess when it comes to other projects Wikipedia Wikipedia should be enough:

FWIW I think only Chakra, SpiderMonkey, JavaScriptCore, Nashorn, QtScript (although, not standard at all), Duktape, Moddable (R.I.P. Kinoma), Espruino, MuJS (new to me!), and JerryScript are the actively used/developed/maintained, and the list misses GJS, but I guess that's because it's based on SpiderMonkey.

Purely ES5 start with IE9 on browser land, but includes IE11 too which is still quite popular.

Not fully ES2015 is Chrome 49 which is the latest Chrome version supported in both Windows XP and Vista and there are still users that won't let that old/cracked OS go, regardless all security issues they have.

Opera 36 is at the same state of Chrome 49, and things are pretty different on mobile too.

All phones from 2015 are stuck behind older Android versions or, even worst, Samsung Internet, like it is for the Galaxy A3 case which is still a pretty good looking phone.

However, Samsung Browser 4.0 is not too bad compared to IE11, as you can see in this gist:

Have I answered your question ?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM, /#!/JoePea <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm curious to know how many pure ES% environments (with or without non-standard features like __proto__, and without any ES6 features) are still being used in the wild.

Would this come down to a browser statistics lookup? I believe there are other projects that use ES, like Rhino, Espruino, etc. Do you know of some place to get such statistics besides for browsers?

/#!/JoePea

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

Isiah Meadows-2
I think you forgot to include Rhino. There's still quite a few who
haven't migrated over to Nashorn, since Rhino has a widely differing
API. It's no longer as actively maintained, but it still has a
substantial user base. (It's ES5 compatible, but has no ES6 features.)

Also, IIRC, Nashorn has made attempts to implement ES6, so I wouldn't
consider it pure ES5 anymore.
-----

Isiah Meadows

www.isiahmeadows.com

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess when it comes to other projects Wikipedia Wikipedia should be
> enough:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ECMAScript_engines
>
> FWIW I think only Chakra, SpiderMonkey, JavaScriptCore, Nashorn, QtScript
> (although, not standard at all), Duktape, Moddable (R.I.P. Kinoma),
> Espruino, MuJS (new to me!), and JerryScript are the actively
> used/developed/maintained, and the list misses GJS, but I guess that's
> because it's based on SpiderMonkey.
>
> Purely ES5 start with IE9 on browser land, but includes IE11 too which is
> still quite popular.
>
> Not fully ES2015 is Chrome 49 which is the latest Chrome version supported
> in both Windows XP and Vista and there are still users that won't let that
> old/cracked OS go, regardless all security issues they have.
>
> Opera 36 is at the same state of Chrome 49, and things are pretty different
> on mobile too.
>
> All phones from 2015 are stuck behind older Android versions or, even worst,
> Samsung Internet, like it is for the Galaxy A3 case which is still a pretty
> good looking phone.
>
> However, Samsung Browser 4.0 is not too bad compared to IE11, as you can see
> in this gist:
> https://gist.github.com/WebReflection/1411b420574c1cc4b4f08fcf9cd960c8#gistcomment-2399378
>
> Have I answered your question ?
>

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM, /#!/JoePea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious to know how many pure ES% environments (with or without
>> non-standard features like __proto__, and without any ES6 features) are
>> still being used in the wild.
>>
>> Would this come down to a browser statistics lookup? I believe there are
>> other projects that use ES, like Rhino, Espruino, etc. Do you know of some
>> place to get such statistics besides for browsers?
>>
>> /#!/JoePea

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

J Decker

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess when it comes to other projects Wikipedia Wikipedia should be enough:

They're missing at least one...
https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/ which looks like it is missing es6 features (as of aug last year anyway... still?)

[...]

Michael J. Ryan
I'd add in Adobe's ExtendScript variant as well, which is stuck at ES3, and in InDesign isn't even completely shimable (my suffering has been in InDesign lately).

Although, most who touch Adobe ExtendScript are well aware of its' limitations.

--
Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

fair enough, I've considered "pure ES%" every engine I've mentioned 'cause in a way ot another they are compatible with ES3, ES5, and "ES6" which is a well known acronym in the industry.

Rhino sounds like legacy these days, and so does anything else stuck at ES3 only.

FWIW I would never support anything stuck at ES3 for the simple reason we're talking 20 years ago specification (it wasn't that bad, it's just outdated now)

joe

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

Michael J. Ryan
LibreJS looks like a browser extension, not a JS engine...

Aside, wow, I'm in favor of open-source, but this one is pretty out there.

--

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:11 AM Joe Eagar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, LibreJS is a browser extension, not a runtime. (There exist
runtimes they support, e.g. SpiderMonkey.)

And I do agree the GNU people can be a bit out there. (I'm not
convinced that's the worst I've seen from them - look at the
Linux-libre stuff and some of the {L,}GPL political drama, especially
with v3.)
-----

Isiah Meadows

www.isiahmeadows.com

joe

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

joe
I remember dealing with this with Blender's scripting system.  Way back in the beginning of the open-source era we had a FAQ item on our website saying users could make commercial plugins for Blender, only to discover that apparently the FSF disagrees.  In the eyes of the FSF, plugins/scripts "form one program."  If we had learned of this earlier on, we might have actually changed Blender's license to something other than GPLv2, but unfortunately it was too late for that.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Isiah Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, LibreJS is a browser extension, not a runtime. (There exist
runtimes they support, e.g. SpiderMonkey.)

And I do agree the GNU people can be a bit out there. (I'm not
convinced that's the worst I've seen from them - look at the
Linux-libre stuff and some of the {L,}GPL political drama, especially
with v3.)
-----

Isiah Meadows

www.isiahmeadows.com

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Michael J. Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> LibreJS looks like a browser extension, not a JS engine...
>
> Aside, wow, I'm in favor of open-source, but this one is pretty out there.
>
> --
> Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info
>

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:11 AM Joe Eagar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> LibreJS? The FSF is seriously escalating the plugin/scripting issue?
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM, J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> They're missing at least one...
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/ which looks like it is missing es6
>>> features (as of aug last year anyway... still?)

Re: How many ES5 environments are still in use today?

Wes Garland
We still use ES5 for development, since our server-side platform (GPSEE) doesn't run on later SpiderMonkey (embedding API made massive changes a couple of years ago and we haven't had resources to update.....massive changes)

I am working closely with another company right now that uses NodeJS.  It's nominally ES6, but ES6 modules are not available in typical deployments, which is a pretty major missing feature.

Wes

On 2 April 2018 at 15:18, /#!/JoePea <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm curious to know how many pure ES% environments (with or without non-standard features like __proto__, and without any ES6 features) are still being used in the wild.

Would this come down to a browser statistics lookup? I believe there are other projects that use ES, like Rhino, Espruino, etc. Do you know of some place to get such statistics besides for browsers?

/#!/JoePea

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.