How line numbers can be off in js debugger.

How line numbers can be off in js debugger.

John J Barton
A user filed issue 246 with Firebug including an example that explains
at least some of the problems I have had with line numbers from JSD.

Script tags like:
  <script language="javascript"
                 type="text/javascript"
                 src="foo.js"></script>
                <script language="javascript"
                 type="text/javascript"
                 src="bar.js"></script>
cause the line numbers from JSD to be off by 4 lines.
I guess (6 - 2) = 4, 6 original lines and 2 compressed lines.
If I use 12 lines in 4 script inclusions I get 8 line offset:
(12-4)= 8.

But I can't figure out the direction: JSD gets larger line numbers, not
smaller as I would guess.  Also a workaround will need some work...

Affects both Venkman and Firebug.

Test case:

http://fireclipse.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/fireclipse/trunk/FireclipseTests/WebContent/issue246badForDebugging.html

John.

Re: How line numbers can be off in js debugger.

Gijs Kruitbosch ("Hannibal")
John J. Barton wrote:

> A user filed issue 246 with Firebug including an example that explains
> at least some of the problems I have had with line numbers from JSD.
>
> Script tags like:
>  <script language="javascript"
>                 type="text/javascript"
>                 src="foo.js"></script>
>         <script language="javascript"
>                 type="text/javascript"
>                 src="bar.js"></script>
> cause the line numbers from JSD to be off by 4 lines.
> I guess (6 - 2) = 4, 6 original lines and 2 compressed lines.
> If I use 12 lines in 4 script inclusions I get 8 line offset:
> (12-4)= 8.
>
> But I can't figure out the direction: JSD gets larger line numbers, not
> smaller as I would guess.  Also a workaround will need some work...
>
> Affects both Venkman and Firebug.
>
> Test case:
>
> http://fireclipse.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/fireclipse/trunk/FireclipseTests/WebContent/issue246badForDebugging.html
>

> John.

Could you file a bug on this on bugzilla.m.o ? It's a bit of a shame
that there's no possibility to distinction engine bugs from venkman
bugs, but it'd still be nice to have this filed. Thanks!

~ Gijs

PS: In a hurry now, so I haven't spent any time looking up
causes/solutions/whatevers - but if we want this fixed in jsd we need to
be pretty quick...

Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> John J. Barton wrote:
>> A user filed issue 246 with Firebug including an example that explains
>> at least some of the problems I have had with line numbers from JSD.
>>
>> Script tags like:
>>  <script language="javascript"
>>                 type="text/javascript"
>>                 src="foo.js"></script>
>>         <script language="javascript"
>>                 type="text/javascript"
>>                 src="bar.js"></script>
>> cause the line numbers from JSD to be off by 4 lines.
>> I guess (6 - 2) = 4, 6 original lines and 2 compressed lines.
>> If I use 12 lines in 4 script inclusions I get 8 line offset:
>> (12-4)= 8.
>>
>> But I can't figure out the direction: JSD gets larger line numbers,
>> not smaller as I would guess.  Also a workaround will need some work...
>>
>> Affects both Venkman and Firebug.
>>
>> Test case:
>>
>> http://fireclipse.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/fireclipse/trunk/FireclipseTests/WebContent/issue246badForDebugging.html
>>

>> John.
>
> Could you file a bug on this on bugzilla.m.o ? It's a bit of a shame
> that there's no possibility to distinction engine bugs from venkman
> bugs, but it'd still be nice to have this filed. Thanks!
>
> ~ Gijs
>
> PS: In a hurry now, so I haven't spent any time looking up
> causes/solutions/whatevers - but if we want this fixed in jsd we need to
> be pretty quick...

Bug 396568.
John.