How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid click
on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>
> Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
> search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
> click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?

The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret, and
AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details you're
asking about.  This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope someone will
come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.

FWIW, MozCorp has contracts with other search providers as well, but
most of the revenue comes from Google, at least until the current
contract with them expires in 2011.  Google's not the default search
engine or the default home page for Firefox in some locales.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 02/03/2010 09:51 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In<news:[hidden email]>,
> "Michael B."<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>>
>> Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
>> search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
>> click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?
>
> The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret, and
> AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details you're
> asking about.  This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope someone will
> come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.
>
> FWIW, MozCorp has contracts with other search providers as well, but
> most of the revenue comes from Google, at least until the current
> contract with them expires in 2011.  Google's not the default search
> engine or the default home page for Firefox in some locales.

Hmm...I had some thoughts on how to increase usage of the Firefox start
page I wanted to share because I know some people who refuse to use it
even though the Google's start page. I guess there's not much point in
saying anything then, lol.

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

Ron Hunter
On 2/3/2010 10:03 PM, Michael B. wrote:

> On 02/03/2010 09:51 PM, »Q« wrote:
>> In<news:[hidden email]>,
>> "Michael B."<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>>>
>>> Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
>>> search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
>>> click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?
>>
>> The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret, and
>> AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details you're
>> asking about. This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope someone will
>> come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.
>>
>> FWIW, MozCorp has contracts with other search providers as well, but
>> most of the revenue comes from Google, at least until the current
>> contract with them expires in 2011. Google's not the default search
>> engine or the default home page for Firefox in some locales.
>>

> Hmm...I had some thoughts on how to increase usage of the Firefox start
> page I wanted to share because I know some people who refuse to use it
> even though the Google's start page. I guess there's not much point in
> saying anything then, lol.

I use the Google page as my start page because it is plain, simple, and
VERY fast.  Adding in the extra stuff with the Firefox Google page just
messes up the display with stuff I don't need.  I also would suspect
another level of tracking to be in the mix, which I don't need.

--
Ron Hunter -- [hidden email]

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

Jay Garcia
On 03.02.2010 21:51, »Q« wrote:

>>  How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>>
>>  Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
>>  search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
>>  click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?
>
> The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret, and
> AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details you're
> asking about.  This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope someone will
> come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.
>
> FWIW, MozCorp has contracts with other search providers as well, but
> most of the revenue comes from Google, at least until the current
> contract with them expires in 2011.  Google's not the default search
> engine or the default home page for Firefox in some locales.

MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has no reason
to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's history.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

On 04.02.2010 08:00, Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>>>
>>> Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
>>> search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
>>> click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the same?
>>
>> The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret, and
>> AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details you're
>> asking about. This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope someone will
>> come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.
>>
>> FWIW, MozCorp has contracts with other search providers as well, but
>> most of the revenue comes from Google, at least until the current
>> contract with them expires in 2011. Google's not the default search
>> engine or the default home page for Firefox in some locales.
>>

> MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has no reason
> to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's history.

There is this nonetheless:

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

Bill Braun-2
Jay Garcia wrote:
> MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore
>  has no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based
> on it's history.

I would agree on technical grounds, though I wonder if the
spirit of their purpose and mission (open source) ought to
inform their transparency policies.

Bill B

On 02/04/2010 08:23 AM, Bill Braun wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore
>> has no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based
>> on it's history.
>
> I would agree on technical grounds, though I wonder if the
> spirit of their purpose and mission (open source) ought to
> inform their transparency policies.
>
> Bill B

Hmm...I don't know. Considering that Mozilla would probably benefit from
it being more open because the more fervent supporters would try to
search in such a way as to maximize their revenue, I think it was
probably Google who wanted it secret. I would suspect that attempts to
"game the system" were on Google's mind at least in part when they drew
up the contract. I don't know the numbers or the or anything or about
search engines usually paying web browsers or anything, but if it's not
something that's normally particularly lucrative, then I'd say open or
not, Mozilla's getting a crazy good deal. If not, then I don't know.

Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04.02.2010 08:00, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> > On 03.02.2010 21:51, »Q« wrote:

> >> The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret,
> >> and AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details
> >> you're asking about. This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope
> >> someone will come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.

> > MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has no
> > reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's history.

Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to publicly
post the contracts they sign with other companies.  IMO, there are
plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do so, though, given their
stated goals of openness regarding the www.

> There is this nonetheless:
>
> http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/

Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know the numbers or the or anything or about search engines
> usually paying web browsers or anything, but if it's not something
> that's normally particularly lucrative, then I'd say open or not,
> Mozilla's getting a crazy good deal. If not, then I don't know.

Mozilla was the first to strike such deals, so there's not much to
compare it to.  The only other browser vendor doing it is Opera, AFAIK,
and they don't release any numbers.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 04.02.2010 12:29, »Q« wrote:

>>  >>  "Michael B."<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >>>  How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  Is it per search using either the Firefox Start page or the google
>>  >>>  search bar? Is it per search on either that then leads to a paid
>>  >>>  click on an advertisement? Are the revenue models for both the
>>  >>>  same?
>>  >>
>>  >>  The contract between the Mozilla Corporation and Google is secret,
>>  >>  and AFAIK no one at Mozilla has publicly spelled out the details
>>  >>  you're asking about. This lack of openness bugs me, and I hope
>>  >>  someone will come along and prove me wrong, so stay tuned.
>
>>  >  MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has no
>>  >  reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's history.
>
> Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to publicly
> post the contracts they sign with other companies.  IMO, there are
> plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do so, though, given their
> stated goals of openness regarding the www.
>
>>  There is this nonetheless:
>>
>>  http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
>
> Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.

I'm not a stockholder so it makes no difference to me a least where
their revenue is generated as long as the product is free. :-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04.02.2010 12:29, »Q« wrote:
>
> > In<news:[hidden email]>,
> > Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>  wrote:

> >>  >  MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has
> >>  > no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's
> >>  > history.
> >
> > Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to
> > publicly post the contracts they sign with other companies.  IMO,
> > there are plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do so, though,
> > given their stated goals of openness regarding the www.
> >
> >>  There is this nonetheless:
> >>
> >>  http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
> >
> > Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.
>
> I'm not a stockholder so it makes no difference to me a least where
> their revenue is generated as long as the product is free. :-)

I'm sure a lot of people only care about getting a free product, but
the need for openness is about the health of the web.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 04.02.2010 22:25, »Q« wrote:

>>  >>   >   MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and therefore has
>>  >>   >  no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess based on it's
>>  >>   >  history.
>>  >
>>  >  Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to
>>  >  publicly post the contracts they sign with other companies.  IMO,
>>  >  there are plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do so, though,
>>  >  given their stated goals of openness regarding the www.
>>  >
>>  >>   There is this nonetheless:
>>  >>
>>  >>   http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
>>  >
>>  >  Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.
>>
>>  I'm not a stockholder so it makes no difference to me a least where
>>  their revenue is generated as long as the product is free. :-)
>
> I'm sure a lot of people only care about getting a free product, but
> the need for openness is about the health of the web.

So you are alluding that by MozCorp not revealing all of their financial
information may cause the web to catch cold? I don't think so!

My UFAQ is free support and it's nobodys business how it's financed or
otherwise presented to "the web". Support, OTOH, is a "service" not a
"product". Does it matter? Too many rocks - too many people trying to
look under 'em. :-D

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04.02.2010 22:25, »Q« wrote:
>
> > In<news:[hidden email]>,
> > Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >
> >>  On 04.02.2010 12:29, »Q« wrote:
> >>
> >>  >  In<news:[hidden email]>,
> >>  >  Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>   wrote:
> >
> >>  >>   >   MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and
> >>  >>   > therefore has no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess
> >>  >>   > based on it's history.
> >>  >
> >>  >  Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to
> >>  >  publicly post the contracts they sign with other companies.
> >>  > IMO, there are plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do
> >>  > so, though, given their stated goals of openness regarding the
> >>  > www.
> >>  >
> >>  >>   There is this nonetheless:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>   http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
> >>  >
> >>  >  Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.
> >>
> >>  I'm not a stockholder so it makes no difference to me a least
> >> where their revenue is generated as long as the product is
> >> free. :-)
> >
> > I'm sure a lot of people only care about getting a free product, but
> > the need for openness is about the health of the web.
>
> So you are alluding that by MozCorp not revealing all of their
> financial information may cause the web to catch cold? I don't think
> so!

No, I didn't say "revealing all their financial information" and I
can't even guess what you mean by catching cold.

> My UFAQ is free support and it's nobodys business how it's financed
> or otherwise presented to "the web". Support, OTOH, is a "service"
> not a "product". Does it matter? Too many rocks - too many people
> trying to look under 'em. :-D

AFAIK, the UFAQ doesn't have a mission statement which holds openness
to be one of three keys to the health of the internet.  Also, the UFAQ
doesn't have nearly as profound an impact on the web as MozCorp.  So I
don't think the analogy with the UFAQ is any good.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 05.02.2010 21:29, »Q« wrote:

>>  >>   >   Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>    wrote:
>>  >
>>  >>   >>    >    MozCorp isn't a publicly traded corporation and
>>  >>   >>    >  therefore has no reason to "open it's books". Just a guess
>>  >>   >>    >  based on it's history.
>>  >>   >
>>  >>   >   Even companies which must open their books aren't compelled to
>>  >>   >   publicly post the contracts they sign with other companies.
>>  >>   >  IMO, there are plenty of reasons for MozCorp to choose to do
>>  >>   >  so, though, given their stated goals of openness regarding the
>>  >>   >  www.
>>  >>   >
>>  >>   >>    There is this nonetheless:
>>  >>   >>
>>  >>   >>    http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
>>  >>   >
>>  >>   >   Yup, all we get to see about the deals are the revenue figures.
>>  >>
>>  >>   I'm not a stockholder so it makes no difference to me a least
>>  >>  where their revenue is generated as long as the product is
>>  >>  free. :-)
>>  >
>>  >  I'm sure a lot of people only care about getting a free product, but
>>  >  the need for openness is about the health of the web.
>>
>>  So you are alluding that by MozCorp not revealing all of their
>>  financial information may cause the web to catch cold? I don't think
>>  so!
>
> No, I didn't say "revealing all their financial information" and I
> can't even guess what you mean by catching cold.

" .... health of the web", " .. catch cold" ... get it?

>>  My UFAQ is free support and it's nobodys business how it's financed
>>  or otherwise presented to "the web". Support, OTOH, is a "service"
>>  not a "product". Does it matter? Too many rocks - too many people
>>  trying to look under 'em. :-D
>
> AFAIK, the UFAQ doesn't have a mission statement which holds openness
> to be one of three keys to the health of the internet.  Also, the UFAQ
> doesn't have nearly as profound an impact on the web as MozCorp.  So I
> don't think the analogy with the UFAQ is any good.

Good one from where I sit. I've been asked many times as to the
financial wherewithall of presenting the UFAQ to the general public. The
basic analogy is it's nobody's business. The general public doesn't have
a right to know as regards the MozCorp's income. You can "ask" of course
but if there isn't an answer forthcoming, so what now?

GEAUX SAINTS!! WhoDat!! :-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05.02.2010 21:29, »Q« wrote:
>
> > In<news:[hidden email]>,
> > Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>  wrote:

> >>  My UFAQ is free support and it's nobodys business how it's
> >> financed or otherwise presented to "the web". Support, OTOH, is a
> >> "service" not a "product". Does it matter? Too many rocks - too
> >> many people trying to look under 'em. :-D
> >
> > AFAIK, the UFAQ doesn't have a mission statement which holds
> > openness to be one of three keys to the health of the internet.
> > Also, the UFAQ doesn't have nearly as profound an impact on the web
> > as MozCorp.  So I don't think the analogy with the UFAQ is any good.
>
> Good one from where I sit. I've been asked many times as to the
> financial wherewithall of presenting the UFAQ to the general public.
> The basic analogy is it's nobody's business.

That doesn't address the differences between the UFAQ and Mozilla I
brought up.

> The general public doesn't have a right to know as regards the
> MozCorp's income.

You seem to be back to the fact that there's no law compelling MozCorp
to release the details of the contract, which is a completely separate
issue from the one about whether it would be a good idea for them to.

> You can "ask" of course but if there isn't an answer forthcoming, so
> what now?

I haven't even asked;  if I were trying to get something done about
this, I wouldn't be here chatting about it instead, heh.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 06.02.2010 12:06, »Q« wrote:

>> > AFAIK, the UFAQ doesn't have a mission statement which holds
>> > openness to be one of three keys to the health of the internet.
>> > Also, the UFAQ doesn't have nearly as profound an impact on the web
>> > as MozCorp.  So I don't think the analogy with the UFAQ is any good.
>>
>> Good one from where I sit. I've been asked many times as to the
>> financial wherewithall of presenting the UFAQ to the general public.
>> The basic analogy is it's nobody's business.
>
> That doesn't address the differences between the UFAQ and Mozilla I
> brought up.
>
>> The general public doesn't have a right to know as regards the
>> MozCorp's income.
>
> You seem to be back to the fact that there's no law compelling MozCorp
> to release the details of the contract, which is a completely separate
> issue from the one about whether it would be a good idea for them to.
>
>> You can "ask" of course but if there isn't an answer forthcoming, so
>> what now?
>
> I haven't even asked;  if I were trying to get something done about
> this, I wouldn't be here chatting about it instead, heh.

Bottom line since the OP was regarding how does Moz make royalties is
that it's nobody's business unless MozCorp opts to reveal the
particulars, etc.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: How exactly does Mozilla make royalties from Google?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06.02.2010 12:06, »Q« wrote:
>
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Good one from where I sit. I've been asked many times as to the
> >> financial wherewithall of presenting the UFAQ to the general
> >> public. The basic analogy is it's nobody's business.
> >
> > That doesn't address the differences between the UFAQ and Mozilla I
> > brought up.
> >
> >> The general public doesn't have a right to know as regards the
> >> MozCorp's income.
> >
> > You seem to be back to the fact that there's no law compelling
> > MozCorp to release the details of the contract, which is a
> > completely separate issue from the one about whether it would be a
> > good idea for them to.
> >
> >> You can "ask" of course but if there isn't an answer forthcoming,
> >> so what now?
> >
> > I haven't even asked;  if I were trying to get something done about
> > this, I wouldn't be here chatting about it instead, heh.
>
> Bottom line since the OP was regarding how does Moz make royalties is
> that it's nobody's business unless MozCorp opts to reveal the
> particulars, etc.

Since Mozilla holds openness as one of its core values, don't you think
that would be a good option for them to take?

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

On 02/06/2010 10:35 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In<news:[hidden email]>,
> Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 06.02.2010 12:06, »Q« wrote:

>>> That doesn't address the differences between the UFAQ and Mozilla I
>>> brought up.

>>> You seem to be back to the fact that there's no law compelling
>>> MozCorp to release the details of the contract, which is a
>>> completely separate issue from the one about whether it would be a
>>> good idea for them to.

>>> I haven't even asked;  if I were trying to get something done about
>>> this, I wouldn't be here chatting about it instead, heh.
>>
>> Bottom line since the OP was regarding how does Moz make royalties is
>> that it's nobody's business unless MozCorp opts to reveal the
>> particulars, etc.
>
> Since Mozilla holds openness as one of its core values, don't you think
> that would be a good option for them to take?

It would ideally, but if their sponsors insisted that the details be
kept secret, then they might not have had a lot of choice.

On 06.02.2010 22:35, »Q« wrote:

>> > That doesn't address the differences between the UFAQ and Mozilla I
>> > brought up.

>> > You seem to be back to the fact that there's no law compelling
>> > MozCorp to release the details of the contract, which is a
>> > completely separate issue from the one about whether it would be a
>> > good idea for them to.

>> > I haven't even asked;  if I were trying to get something done about
>> > this, I wouldn't be here chatting about it instead, heh.
>>
>> Bottom line since the OP was regarding how does Moz make royalties is
>> that it's nobody's business unless MozCorp opts to reveal the
>> particulars, etc.
>
> Since Mozilla holds openness as one of its core values, don't you think
> that would be a good option for them to take?

Sometimes it's wise to leave the door half-open rather than all the way.
Like I said, it's their choice as to how open the door is but at least
it IS open to some degree. You've been in N.O. long enough to know how
politics works a la Ray Ray !! :-)