How do I read this webpage with the command line (curl)?

How do I read this webpage with the command line (curl)?

Hi All,

On the following web page,

https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download/

with Firefox, I can see

"Filename: ees_nt64.msi | File size: 151 MB | Version: 7.1.2053.0"

but I can not figure out how to read the version number
(7.1.2053.0) with curl from the command line.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: How do I read this webpage with the command line (curl)?

Dave Royal
T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On the following web page,
>
> https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download/
>
> with Firefox, I can see
>
> "Filename: ees_nt64.msi | File size: 151 MB | Version: 7.1.2053.0"
>
> but I can not figure out how to read the version number
> (7.1.2053.0) with curl from the command line.
>
> Any words of wisdom?

The version number is not in the page source, so you can't get it with
curl. It will have been obtained by one of the scripts on that page and
inserted into the document displayed.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

On 8/1/19 9:34 AM, Dave Royal wrote:

> T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On the following web page,
>>
>> https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download/
>>
>> with Firefox, I can see
>>
>> "Filename: ees_nt64.msi | File size: 151 MB | Version: 7.1.2053.0"
>>
>> but I can not figure out how to read the version number
>> (7.1.2053.0) with curl from the command line.
>>
>> Any words of wisdom?
>
> The version number is not in the page source, so you can't get it with
> curl. It will have been obtained by one of the scripts on that page and
> inserted into the document displayed.

Poop.  Do you know of any other way to read it from the command line?

T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> On 8/1/19 9:34 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
>> T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> On the following web page,
>>>
>>> https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download/
>>>
>>> with Firefox, I can see
>>>
>>> "Filename: ees_nt64.msi | File size: 151 MB | Version: 7.1.2053.0"
>>>
>>> but I can not figure out how to read the version number
>>> (7.1.2053.0) with curl from the command line.
>>>
>>> Any words of wisdom?
>>
>> The version number is not in the page source, so you can't get it with
>> curl. It will have been obtained by one of the scripts on that page and
>> inserted into the document displayed.
>>

> Poop.  Do you know of any other way to read it from the command line?

You can run Firefox from the command line. It could open that page
 on startup. A userscript could read the version number, report
 it, or compare it with the previous one. But it depends on what
 you want to do as a result: getting the number out of Firefox and
 back to the command script would require some ingenuity.
--
(Remove numerics from my email address)

On 8/1/19 11:29 PM, Dave Royal wrote:

> T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

>>> The version number is not in the page source, so you can't get it with
>>> curl. It will have been obtained by one of the scripts on that page and
>>> inserted into the document displayed.
>>>

>> Poop.  Do you know of any other way to read it from the command line?
>>

> You can run Firefox from the command line. It could open that page
>   on startup. A userscript could read the version number, report
>   it, or compare it with the previous one. But it depends on what
>   you want to do as a result: getting the number out of Firefox and
>   back to the command script would require some ingenuity.

Firefox has a "--headless" mode, but for the life of me, I can't
figure it out.  There is also brow.sh, but I can't figure that
out either.

:'(

Re: How do I read this webpage with the command line (curl)?

WaltS48-9
On 8/2/19 4:55 PM, T wrote:

> On 8/1/19 11:29 PM, Dave Royal wrote:
>> T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

>>> Poop.  Do you know of any other way to read it from the command line?
>>>

>> You can run Firefox from the command line. It could open that page
>>   on startup. A userscript could read the version number, report
>>   it, or compare it with the previous one. But it depends on what
>>   you want to do as a result: getting the number out of Firefox and
>>   back to the command script would require some ingenuity.
>>

> Firefox has a "--headless" mode, but for the life of me, I can't
> figure it out.  There is also brow.sh, but I can't figure that
> out either.
>
> :'(

Only one "-" in "-headless" and requires a new profile.

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Headless_mode>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/

On 8/2/19 2:07 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 8/2/19 4:55 PM, T wrote:

>>> You can run Firefox from the command line. It could open that page
>>>   on startup. A userscript could read the version number, report
>>>   it, or compare it with the previous one. But it depends on what
>>>   you want to do as a result: getting the number out of Firefox and
>>>   back to the command script would require some ingenuity.
>>>

>> Firefox has a "--headless" mode, but for the life of me, I can't
>> figure it out.  There is also brow.sh, but I can't figure that
>> out either.
>>
>> :'(
>
> Only one "-" in "-headless" and requires a new profile.
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Headless_mode>

I was channeling some Linux commands where they use double dashed.

I have that web page.  I created a profile called "headless".
I exited Firefox used

     firefox -P headless -headless
https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download

It just sat there and did nothing.  AHHHHHHHH !!!!! I am starting
to feel stupid.

T <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I exited Firefox used
>
>     firefox -P headless -headless
> https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/windows-security/download
>
> It just sat there and did nothing.  AHHHHHHHH !!!!! I am starting
> to feel stupid.

It does work. If you add --screenshot you can see - though it doesn't
show the data you want because the screenshot occurs before the scripts
have run.

So now you have to write a user/content script to do what you want to
do with the version number (whatever that is), test that (not headless),
copy it (addon or whatever) into the headless profile, run it, get the
answer!

On 8/5/19 9:21 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> So now you have to write a user/content script to do what you want to
> do with the version number (whatever that is), test that (not headless),
> copy it (addon or whatever) into the headless profile, run it, get the
> answer!

No idea what you just said.  Can you throw me
and example?

Re: How do I read this webpage with the command line (curl)?

Dave Royal
T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
> On 8/5/19 9:21 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
>> So now you have to write a user/content script to do what you want to
>> do with the version number (whatever that is), test that (not headless),
>> copy it (addon or whatever) into the headless profile, run it, get the
>> answer!
>
> No idea what you just said.  Can you throw me
> and example?

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
sions/Your_first_WebExtension>
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
sions/Content_scripts>

On 8/6/19 12:04 AM, Dave Royal wrote:

> T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
>> On 8/5/19 9:21 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
>>> So now you have to write a user/content script to do what you want to
>>> do with the version number (whatever that is), test that (not headless),
>>> copy it (addon or whatever) into the headless profile, run it, get the
>>> answer!
>>
>> No idea what you just said.  Can you throw me
>> and example?
>>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
> sions/Your_first_WebExtension>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
> sions/Content_scripts>

I must be missing something terrible.  Neither of those links
even have the word headless in them.  I have no idea what those
two links have to do with headless mode.

Thank you anyway.

T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/6/19 12:04 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
>> T <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
>>>
>>> No idea what you just said.  Can you throw me
>>> and example?
>>>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
>> sions/Your_first_WebExtension>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExten
>> sions/Content_scripts>
>>

> I must be missing something terrible.  Neither of those links
> even have the word headless in them.  I have no idea what those
> two links have to do with headless mode.
>

> Thank you anyway.

Headless if fine - no more to do. The next step is to write a content
script to extract the version number from the page - see my earlier post. Those links
tell you how.

Good luck.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)