How can profile data for SMPmW118 and FF/2 be moved to a FAT32 partition?

How can profile data for SMPmW118 and FF/2 be moved to a FAT32 partition?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

Currently Her profile data are stored on a HPFS386 partition, but She
want to move them to a FAT32 partition instead. Does tools exist that
can be used to easily move profile data from one location to another or
must it be done "by hand", i.e. going into the prefs.js file and edit it
which would be a real pain in the butt as prefs.js contains a LOT of
cat/file strings which must be changed manually?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 20th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: How can profile data for SMPmW118 and FF/2 be moved to a FAT32 partition?

Dave Yeo-3
On 04/04/16 06:03 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Currently Her profile data are stored on a HPFS386 partition, but She
> want to move them to a FAT32 partition instead. Does tools exist that
> can be used to easily move profile data from one location to another or
> must it be done "by hand", i.e. going into the prefs.js file and edit it
> which would be a real pain in the butt as prefs.js contains a LOT of
> cat/file strings which must be changed manually?

If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand, same
with changing the profiles PATH.
You will also get crappier performance on FAT32
Dave

Re: How can profile data for SMPmW118 and FF/2 be moved to a FAT32 partition?

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:

> If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand,
> same with changing the profiles PATH.

All you have to do to move a profile is make a copy of the existing
profile sub-directory where you want it, then tell SM to make a new
profile, and when it asks where to put it, tell it to use the copy.
Then delete the original

> You will also get crappier performance on FAT32

Define performance where SM data is concerned.  I have been trying to
get rid of FAT32 for at least a decade.  But have not found anything
that is shared as well.

Ray

On 04/05/16 08:36 PM, Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand,
>> same with changing the profiles PATH.
>
> All you have to do to move a profile is make a copy of the existing
> profile sub-directory where you want it, then tell SM to make a new
> profile, and when it asks where to put it, tell it to use the copy. Then
> delete the original

Depends on where you want your mail saved. I assumed that Christer would
want to keep it with his profile.

>> You will also get crappier performance on FAT32
>
> Define performance where SM data is concerned.  I have been trying to
> get rid of FAT32 for at least a decade.  But have not found anything
> that is shared as well.

Here I get much faster performance with JFS, though you do have a point
that FAT32 is probably fast enough. For sharing with Windows, FAT32 is
almost the only option though possibly UDF might work fine if it is a
version that OS/2 supports. For Linux I used to use JFS (the Warp
version, not the bootable one) which had the advantage of supporting
symlinks
Dave

Re: How can profile data for SMPmW118 and FF/2 be moved to a FAT32 partition?

Steve Wendt
On 04/05/2016 10:34 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> For Linux I used to use JFS (the Warp version, not the bootable one)
> which had the advantage of supporting symlinks

The HPFS support in Linux is also very good; unfortunately, many distros
don't enable that in their kernels.

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Depends on where you want your mail saved. I assumed that Christer would
> want to keep it with his profile.

Mail location is independent and arbitrary.  I have had the app, the
profile, and mail in three different trees since Netscape.

> Here I get much faster performance with JFS, though you do have a point
> that FAT32 is probably fast enough. For sharing with Windows, FAT32 is
> almost the only option though possibly UDF might work fine if it is a
> version that OS/2 supports.

I don't think I have ever touched a UDF partition.  Where do I start?

Ray

On 04/07/16 08:21 PM, Ray Davison wrote:
>> Here I get much faster performance with JFS, though you do have a point
>> that FAT32 is probably fast enough. For sharing with Windows, FAT32 is
>> almost the only option though possibly UDF might work fine if it is a
>> version that OS/2 supports.
>
> I don't think I have ever touched a UDF partition.  Where do I start?

I've only ever touched it with DVDs, and not recently, so not totally
sure. I'd guess with format x: /fs:udf under OS/2.
Dave

On 04/05/16 11:10 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 04/05/2016 10:34 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> For Linux I used to use JFS (the Warp version, not the bootable one)
>> which had the advantage of supporting symlinks
>
> The HPFS support in Linux is also very good; unfortunately, many distros
> don't enable that in their kernels.

Actually better, when fully enabled, excepting it doesn't understand EAs
besides preserve them when moving a file. Also uses EAs for symlink and
permissions so is actually compatible with OS/2+klibc
Ubuntu here seems to see HPFS fine but has problems writing to it and
always leaves the disk dirty.
I used to have a DOS HPFS driver installed under Win9x, worked fairly
well. Tried pinball.sys under Win2k, which worked well until I fed it a
drive bigger then 4.3GBs, and then it erased the root directory or
something similar. chkdsk /f:3 brought it mostly back.
Dave

[OT] file systems

Steve Wendt
On 04/07/2016 11:06 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> The HPFS support in Linux is also very good
>
> Also uses EAs for symlink and permissions so is actually compatible
> with OS/2+klibc

Using EAs for symlinks predates klibc by years; klibc initially did
something incompatible, and I was at least one of the people that
requested it be changed to match.

> Ubuntu here seems to see HPFS fine but has problems writing to it and
> always leaves the disk dirty.

Never had that problem, but I don't use Ubuntu, nor have I accessed HPFS
under Linux in recent years.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's a
Ubuntu-created problem (they tend to do their own thing).

Conversely, the ext2 IFS for OS/2 worked really well for read/write once
upon a time, but it's incompatible with the ext3/ext4 journaling and
only works in read-only mode.  Apparently it also has some problems with
LVM, and some have suggested even read-only doesn't work with partitions
created with newer tools.

Partition Magic was a really nice tool upon a time; it's too bad they
dumped HPFS before they added any Linux file system support.  Of course,
it's all ancient history now, thanks to the devouring beast known as
Symantec.

> I used to have a DOS HPFS driver

Never had much luck with those.

> Tried pinball.sys under Win2k, which worked well until I fed it a
> drive bigger then 4.3GBs, and then it erased the root directory

Oops.  :(

[OT] UDF filesystem

Steve Wendt
On 04/07/2016 11:02 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> I don't think I have ever touched a UDF partition.
>
> I've only ever touched it with DVDs

That is the intended purpose; has anyone ever tried using it as a
"normal" partition on disk?  I imagine it wouldn't be very optimal.

Re: [OT] file systems

Steve Wendt
On 04/08/2016 12:39 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:

>> Ubuntu here seems to see HPFS fine but has problems writing to it and
>> always leaves the disk dirty.
>
> Never had that problem, but I don't use Ubuntu, nor have I accessed HPFS
> under Linux in recent years.

Of course, I could be mis-remembering at this point; it's possible that
it intentionally flags it dirty to force a chkdsk on the next boot of
OS/2.  If that's the case, it never caused me any headaches (other than
OS/2 bootup taking a little longer, of course).

Re: [OT] file systems

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 04/07/2016 11:06 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> The HPFS support in Linux is also very good
>>
>> Also uses EAs for symlink and permissions so is actually compatible
>> with OS/2+klibc
>
> Using EAs for symlinks predates klibc by years; klibc initially did
> something incompatible, and I was at least one of the people that
> requested it be changed to match.

Yes, so was I.
Wish that IBM had exposed permissions and symlinks in the OS/2 JFS.
Especially having real symlinks would be nice.

>> Ubuntu here seems to see HPFS fine but has problems writing to it and
>> always leaves the disk dirty.
>
> Never had that problem, but I don't use Ubuntu, nor have I accessed HPFS
> under Linux in recent years.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's a
> Ubuntu-created problem (they tend to do their own thing).

I wouldn't be surprised either as back when I used to spin my own
kernels, I never had a problem with the new (and old readonly) HPFS support.

> Conversely, the ext2 IFS for OS/2 worked really well for read/write once
> upon a time, but it's incompatible with the ext3/ext4 journaling and
> only works in read-only mode.  Apparently it also has some problems with
> LVM, and some have suggested even read-only doesn't work with partitions
> created with newer tools.

The ext2 IFS was forked form Linux 1.3 or 2.0 and even by 2.1, which was
before journaling support was added, was incompatible with the IFS,
though Linux was fine using it.
My understanding was that it never did work with LVM. It's been a long
time since I tested it even though it is still installed here on my Warp
v4 partition.
[...]
Dave

Re: [OT] UDF filesystem

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 04/07/2016 11:02 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> I don't think I have ever touched a UDF partition.
>>
>> I've only ever touched it with DVDs
>
> That is the intended purpose; has anyone ever tried using it as a
> "normal" partition on disk?  I imagine it wouldn't be very optimal.

I seem to have heard of it being used on a HD. The question is whether
it would be better then FAT32.
Dave

Re: [OT] file systems

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 04/08/2016 12:39 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
>
>>> Ubuntu here seems to see HPFS fine but has problems writing to it and
>>> always leaves the disk dirty.
>>
>> Never had that problem, but I don't use Ubuntu, nor have I accessed HPFS
>> under Linux in recent years.
>
> Of course, I could be mis-remembering at this point; it's possible that
> it intentionally flags it dirty to force a chkdsk on the next boot of
> OS/2.  If that's the case, it never caused me any headaches (other than
> OS/2 bootup taking a little longer, of course).

It seems to flag it dirty when first mounted, and then refuses to write
to it as far as I remember. Currently don't have any working Linux
partitions on this box and the old Toshiba laptop that does have Ubuntu
installed has never had OS/2 installed on it.
Linux started to need too much bandwidth to maintain and PPP support
became broken, at least on Ubuntu, so with no dial-up support...
Volunteers only maintain what interests them.
Dave
Dave
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> I used to have a DOS HPFS driver installed under Win9x, worked fairly
> well.

I have been using DOS HPFS under FreeDOS for a long time.

> Tried pinball.sys under Win2k, which worked well until I fed it a
> drive bigger then 4.3GBs, and then it erased the root directory or
> something similar. chkdsk /f:3 brought it mostly back.

I have not had an issue with Pinball under WXP, which I still use.  I
seem to remember installing Pinball in W7, but don't quote me.

Ray

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 04/04/16 06:03 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> Currently Her profile data are stored on a HPFS386 partition, but She
>> want to move them to a FAT32 partition instead. Does tools exist that
>> can be used to easily move profile data from one location to another or
>> must it be done "by hand", i.e. going into the prefs.js file and edit it
>> which would be a real pain in the butt as prefs.js contains a LOT of
>> cat/file strings which must be changed manually?
>>

> If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand, same
> with changing the profiles PATH.
> You will also get crappier performance on FAT32
> Dave

Is it possible to create a "stub" profile on the FAT32 partition called
for example Seamonkey and then use the Migrate function in SMPmW118 to
migrate the profile data including the mail to the R:\SeaMonkey location?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand,
>> same with changing the profiles PATH.
>
> All you have to do to move a profile is make a copy of the existing
> profile sub-directory where you want it, then tell SM to make a new
> profile, and when it asks where to put it, tell it to use the copy. Then
> delete the original

Can the mail subfolder also be stored on the FAT32 partition?

A tip for getting better performance on FAT32 partition: Turn the
Lazywriting OFF, it also have the benefit that if the system crashes or
must be brutal-booted via the ctrl-alt-numlockx2, the chance are good
that the FAT32 CHKDSK in OS/2 will work, thus avoiding to go into WinXP
Safe Mode w/Command prompt and doing the CHKDSK from there, then booting
back to WSeB again.

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Ray Davison wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>>
>>> If you change drive letters, you have to change the paths by hand,
>>> same with changing the profiles PATH.
>>
>> All you have to do to move a profile is make a copy of the existing
>> profile sub-directory where you want it, then tell SM to make a new
>> profile, and when it asks where to put it, tell it to use the copy.
>> Then delete the original
>>

> Can the mail subfolder also be stored on the FAT32 partition?

Sure
Dave

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>> All you have to do to move a profile is make a copy of the existing
>> profile sub-directory where you want it, then tell SM to make a new
>> profile, and when it asks where to put it, tell it to use the copy.
>> Then delete the original
>
> Can the mail subfolder also be stored on the FAT32 partition?

Starting with Netscape, I have had each app in it's tree on an app
partition, and profiles in a profiles tree on a data partition, and mail
trees in a mail tree on the data partition, but separate from the
profiles.  And that has all been on FAT32.

My current mail files began life in NS, and I have never had to say "I
cannot find my mail", a cry that is heard frequently on the Win SM group.

Ray