How can I backup my mails?

GS-2
How can I backup my mails?. I need to change from windows to diff
system, How can I copy all mails. Thanks in adv.

Re: How can I backup my mails?

Adam-43
I did it by going into Documents and Settings\<username>\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random>.default\Mail\ and then selecting the
server for my mail and copying the folders (ending in .sbd), the
respective non-extension files and the respective .msf files.

For example, if i wanted to copy all of the email from Inbox, I would copy:

Inbox.sbd
Inbox
Inbox.msf

and then paste that into the newly created folder on the new computer or
wherever. Obviously if you already have email in the new folder, you'll
need to rename the folder or something, so you don't overwrite them all.
One other solution would be to move all the email from your new inbox to
some temporary folder (in Thunderbird) while you then import the old
stuff, then just drag it all back in through Thunderbird.

-Adam

GS wrote:
> How can I backup my mails?. I need to change from windows to diff
> system, How can I copy all mails. Thanks in adv.

Re: How can I backup my mails?

Ralph Fox-2
On 8 Jan 2006 12:13:38 -0800, in message
 <[hidden email]>, GS wrote:

> How can I backup my mails?. I need to change from windows to diff
> system, How can I copy all mails. Thanks in adv.

You have not said whether you are asking about Mozilla Suite, Thunderbird,
or another mail client, so I will assume Thunderbird.

1.  For each mail account, go to
    Tools -> Account Settings -> (select account) -> Server Settings
    and note down the location of the "Local directory".
    This is where the mails for that account are stored.

2.  Each mail folder in that account corresponds to two files.
    E.g.  the "Inbox" folder corresponds to the two files

        Inbox                 (no extension)
        Inbox.msf             (.msf extension)

    The files with no extension contain your mails; the files with
    a .msf extension ("mail summary file") are just an index and
    Thunderbird will automatically rebuild them if they are missing.

    The files which you need to back up and copy are the
    files with no extension.   Delete the .msf files on the new
    system; they will be re-built from the files with no extension.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before