How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

JustBoo
I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
those who employ this disgusting habit.

Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's not  just
for pleasure, that's for sure.

I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.

I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more images, but
I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always have Java turned off,
but JavaScript turned on.

Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a feature.

PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's garbage, okay.
I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.

TIA.

"Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out. "
-Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Jay Garcia
On 02.01.2006 12:40, JustBoo wrote:

> I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
> crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
> those who employ this disgusting habit.
>
> Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's not  just
> for pleasure, that's for sure.
>
> I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
> have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
> margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.
>
> I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more images, but
> I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always have Java turned off,
> but JavaScript turned on.
>
> Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a feature.
>
> PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's garbage, okay.
> I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.
>
> TIA.
>
> "Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out. "
> -Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

Install Flashblock

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

JustBoo
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:59:01 -0600, Jay Garcia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 02.01.2006 12:40, JustBoo wrote:
>> I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
>> have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
>> margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.

>Install Flashblock
>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433

Sweet Mother of Pearl I am saved. I THANK YOU! My brain thanks you.

What a difference an extension can make. Long Live FireFox.

"Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights
doesn't kill me. Therefore not lifting weights makes me stronger."
- Jack Handey

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Marc Wilson-2
In netscape.public.mozilla.general,  (JustBoo) wrote in
<[hidden email]>::

>I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
>crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
>those who employ this disgusting habit.
>
>Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's not  just
>for pleasure, that's for sure.
>
>I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
>have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
>margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.
>
>I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more images, but
>I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always have Java turned off,
>but JavaScript turned on.
>
>Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a feature.
>
>PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's garbage, okay.
>I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.
>
>TIA.
>
>"Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out. "
>-Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

Get something like Proxomitron, and just suppress any .SWF files?
--
Marc

 Pot. Kettle. COLOR="#000000".

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

William-19

"JustBoo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:59:01 -0600, Jay Garcia
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On 02.01.2006 12:40, JustBoo wrote:
>>> I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
>>> have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
>>> margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.
>
>>Install Flashblock
>>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433
>
> Sweet Mother of Pearl I am saved. I THANK YOU! My brain thanks you.
>
> What a difference an extension can make. Long Live FireFox.
>
> "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights
> doesn't kill me. Therefore not lifting weights makes me stronger."
> - Jack Handey

I am going to try that extension, but was going to post that Opera doesnt
seem to have that problem with their pop up blocker...I get almost zero with
Opera.

But thanks to the poster for the extension will try it

My problem with FF 1.5 for now is it freezes after the screen saver is
active. Have no idea why
Bill

On 02.01.2006 15:18, Marc Wilson wrote:

> In netscape.public.mozilla.general,  (JustBoo) wrote in
> <[hidden email]>::
>
>>I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
>>crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
>>those who employ this disgusting habit.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's not  just
>>for pleasure, that's for sure.
>>
>>I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
>>have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
>>margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.
>>
>>I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more images, but
>>I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always have Java turned off,
>>but JavaScript turned on.
>>
>>Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a feature.
>>
>>PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's garbage, okay.
>>I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>"Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out. "
>>-Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
>
> Get something like Proxomitron, and just suppress any .SWF files?

The Flashblock extension displays an icon in place of the flash
animation. Right-click on the icon for options. Also, you can play the
flash on a one-time-only basis as well. Much better than just outright
suppression IMHO.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

CBFalconer
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 02.01.2006 12:40, JustBoo wrote:
>
>> I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia
>> piece of crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to
>> Macromedia and all those who employ this disgusting habit.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's
>> not  just for pleasure, that's for sure.
>>
>> I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my
>> job  and have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk
>> flying all about the margins. I have looked and looked for a
>> way to kill this disease.
>>
>> I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more
>> images, but I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always
>> have Java turned off, but JavaScript turned on.
>>
>> Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a
>> feature.
>>
>> PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's
>> garbage, okay. I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.
>
> Install Flashblock
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=433

I don't know if this is related, but with FFox 1.5rc2 I attempted
to access jeopardy.com yesterday.  The only thing that appears is a
  link to download Macromedia (which I didn't).  AFAIK the only
extensions I have installed is the djvu viewer.  The result was
that I couldn't access the URL in any way.

I especially distrust Sony after their (reported) sneaky attempts
to invade systems with spyware on their DVDs.

  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Ron Hunter
JustBoo wrote:

> I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
> crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
> those who employ this disgusting habit.
>
> Unfortunately, I have to use the web as part of my job, it's not  just
> for pleasure, that's for sure.
>
> I find it very difficult to read a technical article for my job  and
> have swirling, rotating, jumping, jittering junk flying all about the
> margins. I have looked and looked for a way to kill this disease.
>
> I turned off "Load Images," and yes, I do not get any more images, but
> I DO get the stinking MacroHell crap. I always have Java turned off,
> but JavaScript turned on.
>
> Is there any way to disable this BUG? I do not consider it a feature.
>
> PS: I know FF is in no way responsible for Macromedia's garbage, okay.
> I just want the pain to stop. :-) I like FF.
>
> TIA.
>
> "Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out. "
> -Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

Flashblock

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 02.01.2006 15:18, Marc Wilson wrote:

I agree.  Many sites are ALL Flash animations.  I try to avoid these
sites, but it is sometimes necessary to go to them.  Flashblock retains
what vestiges of sanity I have remaining.

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Philip Chee
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:15:49 -0600, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 02.01.2006 15:18, Marc Wilson wrote:

> The Flashblock extension displays an icon in place of the flash
> animation. Right-click on the icon for options. Also, you can play the
> flash on a one-time-only basis as well. Much better than just outright
> suppression IMHO.

Gee, Jay. Thanks a million for plugging our extension!

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Tom  J

"JustBoo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
> crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
> those who employ this disgusting habit.

I use Flash switch:
http://www.flashswitch.com/
It uses little resources, resides on the toolbar, and a single click
switches on or off, then a screen refresh starts/stops the action.

The Mozilla toolbar also has a flash switch that I use.

Tom J

On 03.01.2006 09:11, Tom J wrote:

> "JustBoo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>>I am tired of clicking on each and every Satanic Macromedia piece of
>> crap ad and unchecking Loop and Play. Death to Macromedia and all
>> those who employ this disgusting habit.
>
> I use Flash switch:
> http://www.flashswitch.com/
> It uses little resources, resides on the toolbar, and a single click
> switches on or off, then a screen refresh starts/stops the action.
>
> The Mozilla toolbar also has a flash switch that I use.
>
> Tom J

You retain flash/no-flash on a site by site basis as in "flashblock"?

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

JustBoo
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:39:42 -0500, "Chuck F. " <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>I especially distrust Sony after their (reported) sneaky attempts
>to invade systems with spyware on their DVDs.

They are called "rootkits." They hide directories (folders), Registry
entries, executables and so forth while letting pretty much any code
run that the "author" wants. Very evil stuff. Search Google with
rootkit and Sony.

Anyway, I'm in Borders bookstore recently and there in the computer
section sits front and center a book with big red letters"ROOTKITS:
How to build them and deploy them." Or some such sub-title. I was so
stunned I just moved on. Didn't want to get upset during the holidays.

What's next; a free menu-driven virus maker with every purchase of a
PlayStation3?

Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars
I asked myself, 'Where the hell is my roof?'

Re: How To Disable Macromedia "Animations"

Tom  J

"Jay Garcia" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dpec2a$[hidden email]...

> On 03.01.2006 09:11, Tom J wrote:

It stays turned off all the time unless I know a site and need
information that can only be had with it turned on. In the past couple
of months, a major national company reworked their site after being
convinced they were losing business because you could only get into
their site if Flash was on. It took the president of the company to
get the change because the programmer didn't want to disturb his toys!
Tom J

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.01.2006 09:11, Tom J wrote:

Except that Flashblock has the additional choice of doing one flash
file, but not another on a site.  Some are useful, others aren't.  I
prefer having that choice.

On 03.01.2006 14:44, JustBoo wrote:

> Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars

> I asked myself, 'Where the hell is my roof?'

So, that's YOUR roof in my front yard ... 8-)

"Katrina Survivor"