How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Roy Smith-6

Daniel wrote:
| Alex K. wrote:
|> Daniel wrote:

|>> Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the
|>> one's and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as
|>> the one's and zero's from linux/unix kernels.
|>
|> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
|> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
|> embedded systems.)
|>
|> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
|> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
|> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
|> all the same.
|>

| That's what I was trying to think of ... machine code!! Somewhere here,
| I've got a couple of the pocket sized cards with all the machine
| code/assembler language stuff for the 8086 and Z80's LDA, STB, NOP, ah,
| memories!
|
|> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
|> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
|> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
|> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
|> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
|> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.
|>

| Did it used to be, back in the 5.25" disk days, that IBM format disk had
| the directory on tracks eight whilst Apple disks had it on track one, or
| vice versa, so even documents could not be transfered from one system to
| the other, via disk!

Something like that, though I do know that a C-64 disk had the directory
on track 18.  Back in those days you just could not take a disk and be
able to put it in any computer and be able to read it.  That is using
the computers native OS, though later on the use of an emulator made it
possible to read disks for an alien OS.

I remember getting my first modem, was totally amazed at it's ability to
communicate with other computers.  It had the blazing speed of 300 bps
(not a typo) and it didn't do the dialing.  You had to manually dial the
number yourself, then when you got a carrier signal disconnect the
handset cord and plug it into the modem.  It didn't take long for me to
upgrade to a model that had auto-dial and answer.  Ahh the days....

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Alex K.-4
Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 07-04-2008 15:53 CET, Alex K. composed this enchanting statement:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the one's
>>> and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as the one's
>>> and zero's from linux/unix kernels.
>> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
>> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
>> embedded systems.)
>>
>> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
>> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
>> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
>> all the same.
>>
>> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
>> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
>> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
>> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
>> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
>> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.
>>
> The operating system architects and developers have invented layers to
> cope with that.
>
> Yes, you can have more than one operating system on the same hardware,
> even from one manufacturer.
>>> What you are suggesting then, Q, is that CP/M is not this basic
>>> one's/zero's level, right?
>> The basic "one's/zero's level" is the machine code, representing the
>> processor's instruction set, directly readable and executable by the
>> processor, without any further compiling or interpreting.
>>
>> A starting point for further reading:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code
>>

> That's systems architecture stripped to the bone. :-)

Yabut, thats what it all comes down to, in the end.  ;-)

As I mentioned in my disclaimer, above, at one point in my career, I
worked in R&D for a small company developing a specialized embedded data
collection system.

It was interesting to watch the programmer connect an emulator in place
of the processor, and be able to peek/poke at the various registers,
etc., while trying to figure out where we went wrong.

It was quite helpful in resolving those inevitable hardware vs. software
disputes.  ;-)

--
Alex K.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

PhillipJones
Daniel wrote:

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:11:40 +1000,
>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>> *-* Daniel wrote
>> *-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

>>           [ ... ]

>>> Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???
>>
>>> <side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
>>> <end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>
>>
>>> (Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
>>> "snide" when you typed "side"!!!)
>>
>>      As well as those that can't identify you meant to type "remark"
>> when you typed "remake". ;-)
>>
>>                                         Ken Whiton
>>
>>     FIDO: 1:132/152
>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>
> Can anybody recommend a good spell checker ...... one that will know
> that I meant remark not remake??
>
> Don't you just hate that??
>
> Daniel
Its not a spell check we need. Its a Thesaurus. ;-)

Glad you no more perfect than I am.

Roy Smith wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
> | Alex K. wrote:

> |> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
> |> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
> |> embedded systems.)
> |>
> |> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
> |> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
> |> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
> |> all the same.
> |>

> | That's what I was trying to think of ... machine code!! Somewhere here,
> | I've got a couple of the pocket sized cards with all the machine
> | code/assembler language stuff for the 8086 and Z80's LDA, STB, NOP, ah,
> | memories!
> |
> |> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
> |> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
> |> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
> |> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
> |> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
> |> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.
> |>

> | Did it used to be, back in the 5.25" disk days, that IBM format disk had
> | the directory on tracks eight whilst Apple disks had it on track one, or
> | vice versa, so even documents could not be transfered from one system to
> | the other, via disk!
>
> Something like that, though I do know that a C-64 disk had the directory
> on track 18.  Back in those days you just could not take a disk and be
> able to put it in any computer and be able to read it.  That is using
> the computers native OS, though later on the use of an emulator made it
> possible to read disks for an alien OS.
>
> I remember getting my first modem, was totally amazed at it's ability to
> communicate with other computers.  It had the blazing speed of 300 bps
> (not a typo) and it didn't do the dialing.  You had to manually dial the
> number yourself, then when you got a carrier signal disconnect the
> handset cord and plug it into the modem.  It didn't take long for me to
> upgrade to a model that had auto-dial and answer.  Ahh the days....
you mean it wasn't one of those units you placed the headset in special
cradle.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Ken Whiton wrote:
>>> *-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:11:40 +1000,
>>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>>> *-* Daniel wrote
>>> *-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

>>>           [ ... ]

>>>      As well as those that can't identify you meant to type "remark"
>>> when you typed "remake". ;-)
>>>
>>>                                         Ken Whiton
>>>
>>>     FIDO: 1:132/152
>>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>> Can anybody recommend a good spell checker ...... one that will know
>> that I meant remark not remake??
>>
>> Don't you just hate that??
>>
>> Daniel
> Its not a spell check we need. Its a Thesaurus. ;-)
>
> Glad you no more perfect than I am.

its neather.  We need a grammar-checker

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Can anybody recommend a good spell checker ...... one that will know
>>> that I meant remark not remake??
>>>
>>> Don't you just hate that??
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> Its not a spell check we need. Its a Thesaurus. ;-)
>>
>> Glad you no more perfect than I am.
>>

> its neither.  We need a grammar-checker

How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the Grammar
checker component.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>>> Its not a spell check we need. Its a Thesaurus. ;-)
>>>
>>> Glad you no more perfect than I am.
>>>
>> its neither.  We need a grammar-checker
>>
> How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
> Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the Grammar
> checker component.

then go fer it!

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
| Roy Smith wrote:
| Daniel wrote:
| | Alex K. wrote:

| CP/M, not
| libraries
| |>
| |> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
| |> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
| |> embedded systems.)
| |>
| |> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
| |> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that
| they
| |> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they
| are
| |> all the same.

| |
| | That's what I was trying to think of ... machine code!! Somewhere here,
| | I've got a couple of the pocket sized cards with all the machine
| | code/assembler language stuff for the 8086 and Z80's LDA, STB, NOP, ah,
| | memories!
| |
| |> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
| |> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
| |> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
| |> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In
| *that*
| |> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
| |> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.

| |
| | Did it used to be, back in the 5.25" disk days, that IBM format disk
| had
| | the directory on tracks eight whilst Apple disks had it on track
| one, or
| | vice versa, so even documents could not be transfered from one
| system to
| | the other, via disk!
|
| Something like that, though I do know that a C-64 disk had the directory
| on track 18.  Back in those days you just could not take a disk and be
| able to put it in any computer and be able to read it.  That is using
| the computers native OS, though later on the use of an emulator made it
| possible to read disks for an alien OS.
|
| I remember getting my first modem, was totally amazed at it's ability to
| communicate with other computers.  It had the blazing speed of 300 bps
| (not a typo) and it didn't do the dialing.  You had to manually dial the
| number yourself, then when you got a carrier signal disconnect the
| handset cord and plug it into the modem.  It didn't take long for me to
| upgrade to a model that had auto-dial and answer.  Ahh the days....

| you mean it wasn't one of those units you placed the headset in special
| cradle.

Nope, you had to have a phone with a handset cord with modular plugs on
each end.  This was like Commodore's first modem, or at least it was
their cheapest one available.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Daniel-257
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> Its not a spell check we need. Its a Thesaurus. ;-)
>>>
>>> Glad you no more perfect than I am.
>>>

>> its neither.  We need a grammar-checker
>>
> How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
> Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the Grammar
> checker component.

Why would I want more MS stuff on my system??  Does Open Office have a
Grammar Checker??

Daniel

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Leonidas Jones-2
Daniel wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> its neither.  We need a grammar-checker
>>>
>> How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
>> Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the
>> Grammar checker component.
>>

> Why would I want more MS stuff on my system??  Does Open Office have a
> Grammar Checker??
>
> Daniel

I don't think so.  Word's grammar checker is a classic example of
something that does not work.

Lee

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
>>> Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the
>>> Grammar checker component.
>>>
>> Why would I want more MS stuff on my system??  Does Open Office have a
>> Grammar Checker??
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I don't think so.  Word's grammar checker is a classic example of
> something that does not work.
>
> Lee

I use WordPerfect 6.1 version and it works great.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 08.04.2008 13:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Alex K. to
> generate the following:? :
>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>
>>> On 07-04-2008 15:53 CET, Alex K. composed this enchanting statement:

>>> The operating system architects and developers have invented layers
>>> to cope with that.
>>>
>>> Yes, you can have more than one operating system on the same
>>> hardware, even from one manufacturer.

>>> That's systems architecture stripped to the bone. :-)
>>>

>> Yabut, thats what it all comes down to, in the end.  ;-)
>>
>> As I mentioned in my disclaimer, above, at one point in my career, I
>> worked in R&D for a small company developing a specialized embedded data
>> collection system.
>>
>> It was interesting to watch the programmer connect an emulator in place
>> of the processor, and be able to peek/poke at the various registers,
>> etc., while trying to figure out where we went wrong.
>>
>> It was quite helpful in resolving those inevitable hardware vs. software
>> disputes.  ;-)
>>

> Alex - you must be as old as the rest of us here??  Those were the days
> when a programmer was *PROUD* of his work and could actually find errors
> in his code!
>
> reg

....and didn't waste one bite of memory 'cause they were as rare as hens
teeth!!

Daniel

squaredancer wrote:

> On 07.04.2008 18:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 06.04.2008 12:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> turn your darned stellspecker to OFF and lern to spill corektly in
>>> the furst plase!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Wooden help. I usually proofread several times before sending but it
>> always looks like how I had spelled in my mind rather than what own
>> the Paper or screen
>>

> my problem is that the SAME LETzER is *never* under the same KEY twice
> in a row...  this is especialty the case after I spilt a glas of allalol
> over the board...
>
> reg

There's your problem, straight up, reg! Stop spilling the booze!

Daniel

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> How about someone figuring out a way to incorporate MS Office Grammar
>>> Checker engine into Mozilla Products. just have it point to the
>>> Grammar checker component.
>>>

>> Why would I want more MS stuff on my system??  Does Open Office have a
>> Grammar Checker??
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I don't think so.  Word's grammar checker is a classic example of
> something that does not work.
>
> Lee

  Works great for me except for the Passive voice thing.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 07.04.2008 18:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 06.04.2008 12:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> turn your darned stellspecker to OFF and lern to spill corektly in
>>> the furst plase!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Wooden help. I usually proofread several times before sending but it
>> always looks like how I had spelled in my mind rather than what own
>> the Paper or screen
>>

> my problem is that the SAME LETzER is *never* under the same KEY twice
> in a row...  this is especialty the case after I spilt a glas of allalol
> over the board...
>
> reg

  or was that down your throat?? ;-) ;-)

squaredancer wrote:

> On 07.04.2008 18:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 06.04.2008 12:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> turn your darned stellspecker to OFF and lern to spill corektly in
>>> the furst plase!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Wooden help. I usually proofread several times before sending but it
>> always looks like how I had spelled in my mind rather than what own
>> the Paper or screen
>>

> my problem is that the SAME LETzER is *never* under the same KEY twice
> in a row...  this is especialty the case after I spilt a glas of allalol
> over the board...
>
> reg

My excuse is I  am a hunt and peck typist. When and where I went to High
school if a boy/Man took typing classes he was queer (what they call Gay
now). And if a Girl/Woman took anything other than Home Ec, and took
Shop classes of any type she was  Dyke (female version of Gay). The only
exception was Pottery classes either sex could take these. The boys of
course had to Make Belts and billfolds, and possible ashes trays if they
smoked. The girls could only make ceramic bowls, Lamps and possibly a
purse. and not be identified as gay.