How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

»Q«
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use a PC. It is a MacBook. PC stands for personal computer. Too
> many people assume (including Mac users it seems) that PC = Windows.

I agree, but Apple's own hype machine encourages the view that "PC" only
refers to x86 machines, most recently with their Mac Guy/PC Guy
campaign.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:16:32 -0400,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote
*-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

      The tourist attraction over there is the leaning tower of *Pisa*,
not "Pizza".

>        and there bodies point to the right to see it straight up and
> down. Us mac User would go around the direct opposite side so we
> could look at it with our bodies leaning to the left. :-)

      Or you could go a quarter of the way around and not have to lean
to either side. ;-)  The fact that it's leaning toward or away from
you doesn't really affect the way you see it, the way that leaning to
one side or the other does.

> Not every one in Italy eats Pasta or jumps off a cliff ,or bends to
> the right. That's why I said us Mac users were in Italy,  but not
> necessarily in Rome.  :-D

                                         Ken Whiton

     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Daniel-257
»Q« wrote:
> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
>> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not
>> sure.
>
> You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
> and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
> designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.

Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the one's
and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as the one's
and zero's from linux/unix kernels. What you are suggesting then, Q, is
that CP/M is not this basic one's/zero's level, right?

Daniel

Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
> >> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M,
> >> not sure.
> >
> > You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU
> > libraries and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from
> > scratch, designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.
>
> Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the
> one's and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as
> the one's and zero's from linux/unix kernels. What you are suggesting
> then, Q, is that CP/M is not this basic one's/zero's level, right?

No.  Even if there exists some sameness of meaning for some of the
bits, I wouldn't call that finding CP/M in the Linux code any more than
I'd say you can find Galaga in the Mozilla code.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Alex K.-4
Daniel wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
>>> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not
>>> sure.
>> You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
>> and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
>> designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.
>
> Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the one's
> and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as the one's
> and zero's from linux/unix kernels.

(Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
embedded systems.)

Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
all the same.

However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
*different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.

> What you are suggesting then, Q, is that CP/M is not this basic
> one's/zero's level, right?

The basic "one's/zero's level" is the machine code, representing the
processor's instruction set, directly readable and executable by the
processor, without any further compiling or interpreting.

A starting point for further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code

--
Alex K.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/5/2008 8:41 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M. Jones,
C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M. Jones,
>> C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
>>> same. <end snide remark>
>>>
>>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>>>
>> You keep thinking that Phillip.  I have found that almost every Mac user
>> I encounter thinks the same (in regards to issues like this).  It is
>> such an over and done issue.  Just use what you like and quit making
>> excuses for it!  If it causes one to fluster, it's obvious they're not
>> secure in the decision they made, so they feel they have to convince
>> others they made that right decision.
>>

> I've been using Macs since the days of the SE/30 I bought one when they
> first came out.  And very confident in my ownership and use of Mac's.
>
> Its usually been if anyone found out I was a mac User they would pounces
> with snide remarks and down right hatred and vilification, for the Mac
> Platform and and the people using them. I still have to deal with that
> on occasion even in 2008. You have to develop a Thick skin to use a Mac.
> But occasionally the skin is just not thick enough
>
> If you love using PC's fine. I've experienced both and discovered I
> prefer Mac.

Of course.  I don't personally see how Mac users like the idea of their
Menu changing programs on them without the focus being changed.  That
has always bugged me about Macs.  I much prefer to have my program
window connected to the window of the program.  But that's just me.

> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.

Funny, I work on both and have to say that Mac's don't crash any less
than PC's.  Cmd-Opt-Esc has become my friend...

> I don't have to were about spyware. I don't have to worry so much about
> Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.

Always a last retort...  I don't worry about them either though.

> The difference between Me and most PC users is that they can't take some
> good natured razzing I on occasion I dish out. They have to lash out.

Oh I see.  Funny, I think the Mac users are the ones who can't seem to
take a joke.  Apple users like to dish it out (in abundance), but they
can't take it.

Oh, and maybe it's about time you bought a computer than can display
REAL colors:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/04/apple_colors.html

Once again Apple didn't think anyone would notice...

--
Terry R.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 07-04-2008 15:53 CET, Alex K. composed this enchanting statement:

> Daniel wrote:
> > »Q« wrote:

> >> You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
> >> and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
> >> designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.
> >
> > Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the one's
> > and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as the one's
> > and zero's from linux/unix kernels.
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
> embedded systems.)
>
> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
> all the same.
>
> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.

The operating system architects and developers have invented layers to
cope with that.

Yes, you can have more than one operating system on the same hardware,
even from one manufacturer.

> > What you are suggesting then, Q, is that CP/M is not this basic
> > one's/zero's level, right?
>
> The basic "one's/zero's level" is the machine code, representing the
> processor's instruction set, directly readable and executable by the
> processor, without any further compiling or interpreting.
>
> A starting point for further reading:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code

That's systems architecture stripped to the bone. :-)

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 07-04-2008 16:22 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
> <x>
> Of course.  I don't personally see how Mac users like the idea of
> their Menu changing programs on them without the focus being changed.
> That has always bugged me about Macs.  I much prefer to have my
> program window connected to the window of the program.  But that's
> just me.

Mac users don't need a window per sé. We're also happy with just the
menu. :-)

>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
>> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>>
> Funny, I work on both and have to say that Mac's don't crash any less
> than PC's.  Cmd-Opt-Esc has become my friend...

Killing a process happens, like s... happens. ;-)

<x>

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/7/2008 8:18 AM, and on a whim, Melchert Fruitema
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 07-04-2008 16:22 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
>> <x>
>> Of course.  I don't personally see how Mac users like the idea of
>> their Menu changing programs on them without the focus being changed.
>> That has always bugged me about Macs.  I much prefer to have my
>> program window connected to the window of the program.  But that's
>> just me.
>
> Mac users don't need a window per sé. We're also happy with just the
> menu. :-)

Um, it sure looks like Mac's "need" windows.

>>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
>>> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>>>
>> Funny, I work on both and have to say that Mac's don't crash any less
>> than PC's.  Cmd-Opt-Esc has become my friend...
>>
> Killing a process happens, like s... happens. ;-)

Yes, and arguing about which OS does it less is silly.  Phillip tries to
make it sound like he's got something no one else has.  I hardly ever
experience OS crashes any more.  I don't know many that do.  But I
configured a Macbook last week and it crashed about four times in about
an hour.  Like you said, it happens.

--
Terry R.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 07-04-2008 17:26 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:

> The date and time was 4/7/2008 8:18 AM, and on a whim, Melchert
> Fruitema pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 07-04-2008 16:22 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
>>> <x>
>>> Of course.  I don't personally see how Mac users like the idea of
>>> their Menu changing programs on them without the focus being
>>> changed.  That has always bugged me about Macs.  I much prefer to
>>> have my program window connected to the window of the program.  But
>>> that's just me.
>>
>> Mac users don't need a window per sé. We're also happy with just the
>> menu. :-)
>>
> Um, it sure looks like Mac's "need" windows.

Since you asked, not always. For instance, in Thunderbird, I can view
and change my Preferences and Account Settings.

<x>

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

PhillipJones
»Q« wrote:
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use a PC. It is a MacBook. PC stands for personal computer. Too
>> many people assume (including Mac users it seems) that PC = Windows.
>
> I agree, but Apple's own hype machine encourages the view that "PC" only
> refers to x86 machines, most recently with their Mac Guy/PC Guy
> campaign.

A Mac is just much a a PC (Personal Computer) as a Windows Machine.
However the Market shakes out as windows at the top. Mac second, then
Linux then Unix, and finally what ever else is left.

Because of Windows use (not necessarily popularity) when we Refer to
window's Users we refer to them as PC Users'.

Macintosh Users that use Apple's Operating system are Fondly (or not
depending upon who is doing the referring) to Mac Users.

Since Apple has gone to Intel for processors, the processors are carbon
copies of the the same Intel Chips in PC's difference being the BIOS used.

So Microsoft could come out with a software like Parallels to turn on
those virtual Machines to allow the Mac OS to run Natively (not
emulate). But its not likely to ever happen.

»Q« wrote:
> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
>> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not
>> sure.
>
> You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
> and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
> designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.
I wasn't referring to Linux or Unix I was referring to Windows.

Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:16:32 -0400,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote
> *-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?
>
>> Daniel wrote:

I was going by pronunciation. ;-)  Its sound like a Pizza so Figured
that where they go the name of Pizza from. ;-)

squaredancer wrote:

> On 06.04.2008 12:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think
>>> the same. <end snide remark>
>>>
>>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>>>

>> Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???
>>
>> <side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
>> <end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>
>>
>> (Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
>> "snide" when you typed "side"!!!)
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> turn your darned stellspecker to OFF and lern to spill corektly in the
> furst plase!
>
> reg

Wooden help. I usually proofread several times before sending but it
always looks like how I had spelled in my mind rather than what own the
Paper or screen

Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 07-04-2008 16:22 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
>> <x>
>> Of course.  I don't personally see how Mac users like the idea of
>> their Menu changing programs on them without the focus being changed.
>> That has always bugged me about Macs.  I much prefer to have my
>> program window connected to the window of the program.  But that's
>> just me.
>
> Mac users don't need a window per sé. We're also happy with just the
> menu. :-)
>
>>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
>>> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>>>
>> Funny, I work on both and have to say that Mac's don't crash any less
>> than PC's.  Cmd-Opt-Esc has become my friend...
>>
> Killing a process happens, like s... happens. ;-)
>
> <x>

I use OSX.3.9 all the time and I rarely have to use comd-Opt-Escape.
maybe once every two to three months is the most often. and sometimes I
can go 6 months  or more before having to.

Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 07-04-2008 17:26 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
>> The date and time was 4/7/2008 8:18 AM, and on a whim, Melchert
>> Fruitema pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> On 07-04-2008 16:22 CET, Terry R. composed this enchanting statement:
>>>
>>> Mac users don't need a window per sé. We're also happy with just the
>>> menu. :-)
>>>
>> Um, it sure looks like Mac's "need" windows.
>
> Since you asked, not always. For instance, in Thunderbird, I can view
> and change my Preferences and Account Settings.
>
> <x>

Any application I've ever used on a Mac all the way back to pre OSX you
set the application preferences within the application itself.

most application have a a main menu bar choice that has the name of the
program. click on it and the second item is Preferences.

To set System Preference you go to the Apple menu icon in the Main
menu.. fourth item down.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 06.04.2008 16:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
>> Daniel wrote:

Should I take umbrage (just as well I looked that up in Roget's!!)

....and, reg, what's "upsidedowm"??

Daniel

Alex K. wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
>>> and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
>>> designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.
>> Somewhere, very, very, deep down, there MUST be a level where the one's
>> and zero's from DOS/Windows compilers mean the same thing as the one's
>> and zero's from linux/unix kernels.
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm no OS expert, this is just my understanding of how it
> works, based on my experiences as an electronics tech, working with
> embedded systems.)
>
> Regardless of the kernel of choice, they all reduce, when compiled, to
> machine code representing the instruction set of the processor that they
> are running on.  In *that* respect, sure, you *could* say that they are
> all the same.

That's what I was trying to think of ... machine code!! Somewhere here,
I've got a couple of the pocket sized cards with all the machine
code/assembler language stuff for the 8086 and Z80's LDA, STB, NOP, ah,
memories!

> However, the specific code techniques/methods used to accomplish a
> particular task, such as reading a file from disk, may be quite
> different, in terms of efficiency, the ordering of the individual
> processor instructions, processor features implemented, etc.  In *that*
> respect, which is, really, the only one that counts, they can be quite
> *different*, even though they are *all* speaking the same 'language'.

Did it used to be, back in the 5.25" disk days, that IBM format disk had
the directory on tracks eight whilst Apple disks had it on track one, or
vice versa, so even documents could not be transfered from one system to
the other, via disk!

Daniel

>> What you are suggesting then, Q, is that CP/M is not this basic
>> one's/zero's level, right?
>
> The basic "one's/zero's level" is the machine code, representing the
> processor's instruction set, directly readable and executable by the
> processor, without any further compiling or interpreting.
>
> A starting point for further reading:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:11:40 +1000,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Daniel wrote
*-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :

           [ ... ]

>>> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom
>>> posting?? (end snide)

>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think
>> the same. <end snide remark>

>> If one can do it the other can too =)

> Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???

> <side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
> <end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>

> (Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
> "snide" when you typed "side"!!!)

      As well as those that can't identify you meant to type "remark"
when you typed "remake". ;-)

Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:11:40 +1000,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* Daniel wrote
> *-* About Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>           [ ... ]

>>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think
>>> the same. <end snide remark>
>
>>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>
>> Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???
>
>> <side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
>> <end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>
>
>> (Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
>> "snide" when you typed "side"!!!)
>
>      As well as those that can't identify you meant to type "remark"
> when you typed "remake". ;-)
>
>                                         Ken Whiton
>
>     FIDO: 1:132/152
> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Can anybody recommend a good spell checker ...... one that will know
that I meant remark not remake??

Don't you just hate that??

Daniel