How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2008/04/03 12:56 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting,
>> IIRC.
>>
> Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
> post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to read
> 200-250.

That is because people don't clip their posts

> Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through pages
> and pages of Previous answers.

When people clip and intersperse their comments, it is quicker than
either top or bottom posting.

> But the powers that be have spoke. Its bottom post or you die.

The proper method on Godzilla newsgroups is to clip and intersperse
their responses. This is from
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html>

    To keep forum discussion friendly, please do interspersion with
    trimming (see above for trimming rules). For a simple reply, this is
    equivalent bottom-posting. So, remove extraneous material, and place
    your comments in logical order, after the text you are commenting upon.

Far too many people on these forums do not clip their replies. Some of
them also jump on people for top posting - telling them bottom post -
when the proper comment would be to tell them to clip and intersperse
their replies.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Leonidas Jones-2
Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2008/04/03 12:56 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting,
>>> IIRC.
>>>
>> Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
>> post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to read
>> 200-250.
>
> That is because people don't clip their posts
>
>> Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through pages
>> and pages of Previous answers.
>
> When people clip and intersperse their comments, it is quicker than
> either top or bottom posting.

/snip/

I very strongly disagree

If multiple points are raised, and theyh can all be answered in one
post, interspersed repies are great.

But, after many years trying to do support, this is rarely the case,

In a long support thread, interspersed responses make a complete hash
for following support suggestions.  Bottom posting makes it mush easier
to follow the thread in an organized manner, and make followup
suggestions. Trying to do that with interspersed responses makes a
unintelligible mess.

Lee

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

BeeNeR
On or about 4/3/2008 10:45 PM, Leonidas Jones penned the following:

> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
>>> post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to read
>>> 200-250.
>>
>> That is because people don't clip their posts
>>
>>> Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through pages
>>> and pages of Previous answers.
>>
>> When people clip and intersperse their comments, it is quicker than
>> either top or bottom posting.
>
> /snip/
>
> I very strongly disagree
>
> If multiple points are raised, and theyh can all be answered in one
> post, interspersed repies are great.
>
> But, after many years trying to do support, this is rarely the case,
>
> In a long support thread, interspersed responses make a complete hash
> for following support suggestions.  Bottom posting makes it mush easier
> to follow the thread in an organized manner, and make followup
> suggestions. Trying to do that with interspersed responses makes a
> unintelligible mess.
>
> Lee

Hear, Hear - and Heed

--
Ed, W3BNR
BlobFest July 11-12, 2008

"A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in
health and in sickness."  -Senator George Graham Vest, 1870

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 04-04-2008 04:45 CET, Leonidas Jones composed this enchanting statement:

> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
>>> post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to
>>> read 200-250.
>>
>> That is because people don't clip their posts
>>
>>> Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through
>>> pages and pages of Previous answers.
>>
>> When people clip and intersperse their comments, it is quicker than
>> either top or bottom posting.
> /snip/
>
> I very strongly disagree
>
> If multiple points are raised, and theyh can all be answered in one
> post, interspersed repies are great.
>
> But, after many years trying to do support, this is rarely the case,
>
> In a long support thread, interspersed responses make a complete hash
> for following support suggestions.  Bottom posting makes it mush
> easier to follow the thread in an organized manner, and make followup
> suggestions. Trying to do that with interspersed responses makes a
> unintelligible mess.
>
> Lee

Lee, that's what I experienced, as well. If you intersperse, and I do
that now and then, the continued discussions are very difficult to
follow. Instead of interspersing, I've successfully tried to respond to
one follow-up at the time, leading to multiple posts for possible sub
threads with a asynchronous, continued discussion on the sub-topic, if
you like.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.04.2008 13:56, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

  Nope I said the power that be have spoken.  I was talking on each
newsgroup.

And besides if you smart the question should be relevant to the the
subject line.  and the original post is just supposed to give the details.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
>> On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
>>
>>> On 03.04.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>>> Fruitema to generate the following:

>>> IIRC (Jay may correct me here) but secnews (or was it the old NS
>>> server?) was "OS-oriented" so that the different OSes were treated by
>>> their own kind...  I found that a good idea, as it also gave *me* the
>>> chouce to "watch" the other OSes... or not!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting,
>> IIRC.
>>

> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom posting??
> (end snide)
>
> reg

<side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
same. <end snide remark>

If one can do it the other can too =)

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M. Jones,
C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
>>> On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:

>>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting,
>>> IIRC.
>>>

>> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom posting??
>> (end snide)
>>
>> reg
>
> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
> same. <end snide remark>
>
> If one can do it the other can too =)

You keep thinking that Phillip.  I have found that almost every Mac user
I encounter thinks the same (in regards to issues like this).  It is
such an over and done issue.  Just use what you like and quit making
excuses for it!  If it causes one to fluster, it's obvious they're not
secure in the decision they made, so they feel they have to convince
others they made that right decision.

--
Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M. Jones,
> C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :

>>> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom posting??
>>> (end snide)
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
>> same. <end snide remark>
>>
>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>>

> You keep thinking that Phillip.  I have found that almost every Mac user
> I encounter thinks the same (in regards to issues like this).  It is
> such an over and done issue.  Just use what you like and quit making
> excuses for it!  If it causes one to fluster, it's obvious they're not
> secure in the decision they made, so they feel they have to convince
> others they made that right decision.

I've been using Macs since the days of the SE/30 I bought one when they
first came out.  And very confident in my ownership and use of Mac's.

Its usually been if anyone found out I was a mac User they would pounces
with snide remarks and down right hatred and vilification, for the Mac
Platform and and the people using them. I still have to deal with that
on occasion even in 2008. You have to develop a Thick skin to use a Mac.
But occasionally the skin is just not thick enough

If you love using PC's fine. I've experienced both and discovered I
prefer Mac.

I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.

I don't have to were about spyware. I don't have to worry so much about
Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.

The difference between Me and most PC users is that they can't take some
good natured razzing I on occasion I dish out. They have to lash out.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 05.04.2008 00:17, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
> generate the following:? :
>> The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
>> Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think
>>> the same. <end snide remark>
>>>
>>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>>>

>> You keep thinking that Phillip.  I have found that almost every Mac
>> user I encounter thinks the same (in regards to issues like this).  It
>> is such an over and done issue.  Just use what you like and quit
>> making excuses for it!  If it causes one to fluster, it's obvious
>> they're not secure in the decision they made, so they feel they have
>> to convince others they made that right decision.
>>

> yes, Terry (not sure what you meant, but "yes" anyway) - and I don't
> think that Phillip has the right to snide remarks at us PC-Users, just
> because I snide MAC-users. Seems a bit unfair, him using my tactics
> (note: NOT tictacs)
>
> reg
I guess it "tit for tit" uh I meant "tit-for tat" ;-)

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Daniel-257
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 03.04.2008 08:27, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

Sorry!  Top Posting <-> Rome!! Don't quite see the connection!!

Anyone??

Daniel

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :
>>> On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting
>>> statement:

>>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting,
>>> IIRC.
>>>

>> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom posting??
>> (end snide)
>>
>> reg
>
> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
> same. <end snide remark>
>
> If one can do it the other can too =)

Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???

<side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
<end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>

(Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
"snide" when you typed "side"!!!)

Daniel

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
>> Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

<snip>

> If you love using PC's fine. I've experienced both and discovered I
> prefer Mac.
>
> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>
> I don't have to were about spyware. I don't have to worry so much about
> Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>
> The difference between Me and most PC users is that they can't take some
> good natured razzing I on occasion I dish out. They have to lash out.

Phillip, I use a PC, I've experienced both (well, to be honest, it was
an Apple IIe clone, rather than a Mac).

I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time I turn around.

I don't have to worry about spyware. I don't have to worry so much about
Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.

....but, then again, I use Linux on my P.C.!!

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 03.04.2008 08:27, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

  Its about the saying when in Rome you do as the Romans do.  If they
eat pasta you eat pasta. If they jump off a cliff yours supposed to jump
off that same cliff.  If they look at the leaning tower of Pizza  and
there bodies point to the right to see it straight up and down. Us mac
User would go around the direct opposite side so we could look at it
with our bodies leaning to the left. :-)

Not every one in Italy eats Pasta or jumps off a cliff ,or bends to the
right. That's why I said us Mac users were in Italy,  but not
necessarily in Rome.  :-D

Daniel wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 03.04.2008 15:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>>> Fruitema to generate the following:? :

>>> (snide) wasn't that because MACs couldn't cope with bottom posting??
>>> (end snide)
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> <side remark on> Nope Mac User think different. PC Users all think the
>> same. <end snide remark>
>>
>> If one can do it the other can too =)
>>

> Phillip, did you validate your response before sending it???
>
> <side remark on> with no corresponding <end side remark>
> <end snide remark> with no corresponding <snide remake on>
>
> (Blast those spell checkers that cannot identify you meant to type
> "snide" when you typed "side"!!!)
>
> Daniel
I spell checked it. I wish they would start putting Thesauruses in
SeaMonkey or Thunderbird! :D

Daniel wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was 4/4/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
>>> Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

> <snip>
>
>> If you love using PC's fine. I've experienced both and discovered I
>> prefer Mac.
>>
>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
>> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>>
>> I don't have to were about spyware. I don't have to worry so much
>> about Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>>
>> The difference between Me and most PC users is that they can't take
>> some good natured razzing I on occasion I dish out. They have to lash
>> out.
>>

> Phillip, I use a PC, I've experienced both (well, to be honest, it was
> an Apple IIe clone, rather than a Mac).
>
> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time I turn around.
>
> I don't have to worry about spyware. I don't have to worry so much about
> Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>
> ....but, then again, I use Linux on my P.C.!!
>
> Daniel

Well Daniel your closer to my side than you think :D

MacOSX has UNIX under the hood which is closer to Linux Than Windows is.

If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and CP/M.

If MS would go to either a UNIX or Linux based system, they would have
less trouble with spyware, virus, Trogans, worms and the like.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Gotcha!!

Daniel

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> If you love using PC's fine. I've experienced both and discovered I
>>> prefer Mac.
>>>
>>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time you turn
>>> around. In fact I find very few times that Even applications that crash.
>>>
>>> I don't have to were about spyware. I don't have to worry so much
>>> about Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>>>
>>> The difference between Me and most PC users is that they can't take
>>> some good natured razzing I on occasion I dish out. They have to lash
>>> out.
>>>

>> Phillip, I use a PC, I've experienced both (well, to be honest, it was
>> an Apple IIe clone, rather than a Mac).
>>
>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time I turn around.
>>
>> I don't have to worry about spyware. I don't have to worry so much
>> about Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>>
>> ....but, then again, I use Linux on my P.C.!!
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> Well Daniel your closer to my side than you think :D
>
> MacOSX has UNIX under the hood which is closer to Linux Than Windows is.
>
> If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and CP/M.
>
> If MS would go to either a UNIX or Linux based system, they would have
> less trouble with spyware, virus, Trogans, worms and the like.

Quote "If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and
CP/M." End Quote.

If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed, I'm
using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not sure.

The point I am trying to make, Phillip, is that not every PC uses
Windows - at least, to me, the Equipment (the PC) is different to the OS
(DOS, NT, Windows, Linux).

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Phillip, I use a PC, I've experienced both (well, to be honest, it
>>> was an Apple IIe clone, rather than a Mac).
>>>
>>> I don't have to worry about my system crashing every time I turn around.
>>>
>>> I don't have to worry about spyware. I don't have to worry so much
>>> about Viruses, Trogans, worms, and even spyware.
>>>
>>> ....but, then again, I use Linux on my P.C.!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>> Well Daniel your closer to my side than you think :D
>>
>> MacOSX has UNIX under the hood which is closer to Linux Than Windows is.
>>
>> If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and CP/M.
>>
>> If MS would go to either a UNIX or Linux based system, they would have
>> less trouble with spyware, virus, Trogans, worms and the like.
>>

> Quote "If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and
> CP/M." End Quote.
>
> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed, I'm
> using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not sure.
>
> The point I am trying to make, Phillip, is that not every PC uses
> Windows - at least, to me, the Equipment (the PC) is different to the OS
> (DOS, NT, Windows, Linux).
>
> Daniel

you have the right take on the Machine. But your probably only 1% of the
PC Market, the other 99% when you talk about a PC your talking about
Windows Users. Your are unique. And in all likely hood you probably
bought your PC as a Kit and put the parts together yourself.

It might interest you to know (or may not) That Mac's have always had
the ability except back in the days before the SE/30 to run Linux, or
UNIX. Even easier on machines from the 6100 series and up (they used
RISC processor chips). In fact My tower G4-500, I can format my hard
drive to UFS Format and run purely on UNIX.  Or I could use Linux as well.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

»Q«
Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not
> sure.

You wouldn't find CP/M either.  The Linux kernel and the GNU libraries
and utilities that make up a Linux OS were written from scratch,
designed to match the behavior of existing UNIX systems.

On 2008/04/06 6:38 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> Well Daniel your closer to my side than you think :D
>>>
>>> MacOSX has UNIX under the hood which is closer to Linux Than Windows
>>> is.
>>>
>>> If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS and CP/M.
>>>
>>> If MS would go to either a UNIX or Linux based system, they would
>>> have less trouble with spyware, virus, Trogans, worms and the like.
>>>

>> Quote "If you dig down in PC code you could still trace back to DOS
>> and CP/M." End Quote.
>>
>> If I dig down in my PC code, I don't find DOS, because, as I typed,
>> I'm using Linux not Windows. If I did further, I might find CP/M, not
>> sure.
>>
>> The point I am trying to make, Phillip, is that not every PC uses
>> Windows - at least, to me, the Equipment (the PC) is different to the
>> OS (DOS, NT, Windows, Linux).
>>
>> Daniel
>
> you have the right take on the Machine. But your probably only 1% of
> the PC Market, the other 99% when you talk about a PC your talking
> about Windows Users. Your are unique. And in all likely hood you
> probably bought your PC as a Kit and put the parts together yourself.
>
> It might interest you to know (or may not) That Mac's have always had
> the ability except back in the days before the SE/30 to run Linux, or
> UNIX. Even easier on machines from the 6100 series and up (they used
> RISC processor chips). In fact My tower G4-500, I can format my hard
> drive to UFS Format and run purely on UNIX.  Or I could use Linux as
> well.

I use a PC. It is a MacBook. PC stands for personal computer. Too many
people assume (including Mac users it seems) that PC = Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

    Today a PC may be a desktop computer, a laptop computer or a tablet
    computer. The most common operating systems are Microsoft Windows,
    Mac OS and Linux, while the most common microprocessors are the x86
    and PowerPC CPUs.