How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Jane-35
I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
it is and sure I don't need it.

The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.

So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?

thanks

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Robert Blair-2
On 4/2/2008 5:26 AM, Jane wrote:

> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
> it is and sure I don't need it.
>
> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>
> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>
> thanks

While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
too would like to know how to do this.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Moz Champion (Dan)
David E. Ross wrote:

> On 4/2/2008 5:26 AM, Jane wrote:
>> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
>> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
>> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
>> it is and sure I don't need it.
>>
>> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
>> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>>
>> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>>
>> thanks
>
> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
> too would like to know how to do this.

Apple-->System Preferences-->Software Update

UNcheck

[] Check for updates

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 02-04-2008 21:08 CET, Moz Champion (Dan) composed this enchanting
statement:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 4/2/2008 5:26 AM, Jane wrote:
>>> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
>>> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
>>> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
>>> it is and sure I don't need it.
>>>
>>> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
>>> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>>>
>>> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
>> too would like to know how to do this.
>>
> Apple-->System Preferences-->Software Update
>
> UNcheck
>
> [] Check for updates

Dan, I'm afraid David is on Windows.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/2/2008 6:26 AM, and on a whim, Jane pounded out
on the keyboard:

> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
> it is and sure I don't need it.
>
> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>
> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>
> thanks

Hi Jane,

While Allan stated you can uninstall the Updater using Add/Remove
Programs, the icon for the "Apple Software Update" should be in the All
Programs folder.  Open it, click Cancel when it tries to connect, click
Edit, Preferences, Schedule tab, select NEVER.

--
Terry R.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/2/2008 7:46 AM, and on a whim, David E. Ross
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 4/2/2008 5:26 AM, Jane wrote:
>> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
>> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
>> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
>> it is and sure I don't need it.
>>
>> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
>> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>>
>> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>>
>> thanks
>
> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
> too would like to know how to do this.

Hi David,

Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 02-04-2008 21:08 CET, Moz Champion (Dan) composed this enchanting
> statement:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
>>> too would like to know how to do this.
>>>
>> Apple-->System Preferences-->Software Update
>>
>> UNcheck
>>
>> [] Check for updates
>
> Dan, I'm afraid David is on Windows.

Then my advice is out of place. My apologies

On 4/2/2008 3:11 PM, Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 4/2/2008 7:46 AM, and on a whim, David E. Ross
> pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 4/2/2008 5:26 AM, Jane wrote:
>>> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
>>> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
>>> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
>>> it is and sure I don't need it.
>>>
>>> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
>>> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>>>
>>> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>>>
>>> thanks
>> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
>> too would like to know how to do this.
>>

> Hi David,
>
> While Allan stated you can uninstall the Updater using Add/Remove
> Programs, the icon for the "Apple Software Update" should be in the All
> Programs folder.  Open it, click Cancel when it tries to connect, click
> Edit, Preferences, Schedule tab, select NEVER.

Thanks.  Now, I have to find out how to do the same with Acrobat Reader.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Leonidas Jones-2
Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 02-04-2008 21:08 CET, Moz Champion (Dan) composed this enchanting
> statement:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
>>> too would like to know how to do this.
>>>
>> Apple-->System Preferences-->Software Update
>>
>> UNcheck
>>
>> [] Check for updates
>
> Dan, I'm afraid David is on Windows.

I was about to give the same advice, until I noticed the reference to
msconfig.

its a real good idea, when asking a support question, to state the exact OS.

Lee

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Jay Garcia

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 03-04-2008 05:16 CET, Leonidas Jones composed this enchanting statement:

> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>> On 02-04-2008 21:08 CET, Moz Champion (Dan) composed this enchanting
>> statement:

>>> Apple-->System Preferences-->Software Update
>>>
>>> UNcheck
>>>
>>> [] Check for updates
>>
>> Dan, I'm afraid David is on Windows.
>>

> I was about to give the same advice, until I noticed the reference to
> msconfig.
>
> its a real good idea, when asking a support question, to state the
> exact OS.
>
> Lee

I recall that a long time ago, the presumption was some "Windows" for
OS. MacOS was _not done_ in Mozilla support groups.

Anyway, I look most of the time at the user-agent header information
before responding to a message, as I in the three pane view with my
extended header view (thanks to Mnenhy).

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:

> On 03.04.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
> Fruitema to generate the following:
>> <x>
>> I recall that a long time ago, the presumption was some "Windows" for
>> OS. MacOS was _not done_ in Mozilla support groups.
>>
>> Anyway, I look most of the time at the user-agent header information
>> before responding to a message, as I in the three pane view with my
>> extended header view (thanks to Mnenhy).
>>
> IIRC (Jay may correct me here) but secnews (or was it the old NS
> server?) was "OS-oriented" so that the different OSes were treated by
> their own kind...  I found that a good idea, as it also gave *me* the
> chouce to "watch" the other OSes... or not!
>
> reg

At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting, IIRC.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

On 03.04.2008 08:27, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting, IIRC.

For a while top posting was the norm but reverted to the accepted
convention on the server - bottom posting. The entire server was
considered "Rome". :-)

On 4/2/2008 7:44 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 02.04.2008 21:57, David E. Ross wrote:

This involved first letting Acrobat check for updates.  Then, after I
cleared the checkbox, Acrobat checked for updates again.  Finally, I did
a cancel.  I hope this works.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/2/2008 7:57 PM, and on a whim, David E. Ross
pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 4/2/2008 3:11 PM, Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/2/2008 7:46 AM, and on a whim, David E. Ross
>> pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> While this is really way off topic for any news.mozilla.org newsgroup, I
>>> too would like to know how to do this.
>>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> While Allan stated you can uninstall the Updater using Add/Remove
>> Programs, the icon for the "Apple Software Update" should be in the All
>> Programs folder.  Open it, click Cancel when it tries to connect, click
>> Edit, Preferences, Schedule tab, select NEVER.
>>

> Thanks.  Now, I have to find out how to do the same with Acrobat Reader.

I dumped Adobe Reader for Foxit Reader quite some time ago.  And I've
been uninstalling it whenever I work on client machines also.  Adobe has
become too large a program just to view PDF's, and then they started
throwing in extras as well if one doesn't pay attention to the web page
carefully.  Foxit Reader is FAST and light.  And if one chooses, you can
add features for minimal costs.

--
Terry R.

Re: How Do I Disable Apple Updater?

PhillipJones
Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
>> On 03.04.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>> Fruitema to generate the following:
>>> <x>
>>> I recall that a long time ago, the presumption was some "Windows" for
>>> OS. MacOS was _not done_ in Mozilla support groups.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I look most of the time at the user-agent header information
>>> before responding to a message, as I in the three pane view with my
>>> extended header view (thanks to Mnenhy).
>>>
>> IIRC (Jay may correct me here) but secnews (or was it the old NS
>> server?) was "OS-oriented" so that the different OSes were treated by
>> their own kind...  I found that a good idea, as it also gave *me* the
>> chouce to "watch" the other OSes... or not!
>>
>> reg
>
> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting, IIRC.

Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to read
200-250.

Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through pages
and pages of Previous answers.

But the powers that be have spoke. Its bottom post or you die.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.04.2008 08:27, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

We was always in Italy , but some didn't want to see Rome. ;-)
(including myself). :-)

Jane wrote:

> I want to disable the Apple Updater but can't figure out how.  I
> looked at the startup programs using msconfig but don't see anything
> obvious.  I don't like to disable anything unless I'm sure I know what
> it is and sure I don't need it.
>
> The updater pops up for iTunes, Safari and QuikTime.  The only thing I
> need to update is QuickTime and I can do that on my own.
>
> So - where is this sucker and how do I stop it?
>
> thanks

Google is your friend:

http://www.technipages.com/disable-apple-software-update-screen-windows.html

Seems quite simple.

Lee

On 03.04.2008 09:30, David E. Ross wrote:

>> On 02.04.2008 21:57, David E. Ross wrote:

Correct, but if you already have the latest version it will indicate
such and remain in the dialog box. Then you click on "Preferences".

On 03.04.2008 13:56, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>> On 03-04-2008 11:53 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:
>>> On 03.04.2008 10:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
>>> Fruitema to generate the following:

>>> IIRC (Jay may correct me here) but secnews (or was it the old NS
>>> server?) was "OS-oriented" so that the different OSes were treated by
>>> their own kind...  I found that a good idea, as it also gave *me* the
>>> chouce to "watch" the other OSes... or not!
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> At that time in Netscape history, the Mac NGs even had *top* posting, IIRC.
>>
> Yes it made for faster reading and understanding. You could read 500
> post in a Day with top posting with bottom posting your lucky to read
> 200-250.
>
> Beside you get read the latest answer instead of wading through pages
> and pages of Previous answers.
>
> But the powers that be have spoke. Its bottom post or you die.

I used to read twice that in one day with bottom posting. With top
posting most times you had to go hunting for the question that was
answered at the top. So .... here we go again?