Historical reports

volpi.c
Hi All,

New here, apologies if the answer is obvious but could not find any recent topic about this.

I've been using BugzillaMetrics for ages to generate all kind of reports about several code bases and products and you name it.
All broken with Bugzilla 5. Bugzillametrics seems dead which is not helping.

I'm now really struggling to find a way to create reports based on historical information. I could never find a way to get Bugzilla reporting to give me information about anything that has happened in the past. It seems to assume that I know today what I'll need in the future and thus I'm able to create a data set for any question I may eventually have.

I'm sure I'm missing something here because this is a tool used in several big companies and I can't imagine that anyone would be able to adopt it without being able to create a CFD or other bug stats.

Can anybody please point me in the best direction?

Cheers,
Carlo

Re: Historical reports

Gervase Markham
On 21/04/17 15:02, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> Old charts support regenerating of data, besides that, I'm pretty sure
> you are not missing anything, but that's simply how the new charts
> work. It's even documented everywhere I know of.

Being able to graph arbitrary slicings of historical data means you
basically need to be able to reconstruct the state of the database at
any particular time in the past, and do so efficiently. For better or
worse, Bugzilla is not designed to do that.

Gerv

Re: Historical reports

volpi.c
Thank you,

I get it: Bugzilla is not designed to look retrospectively at its DB.
It's a big missing feature but best to do fewer things well than too many poorly!

Then my question is: is anyone aware of any other product, maybe commercial, that allows to gather this kind of stats on Bugzilla?
I don't think it makes sense to go back to version 4 so now that bugzillametrics is not working I'm at real risk of having to migrate from Bugzilla. I can't see how we can have any improvement initiative without a way to see what happens to our bugs.

Kind regards,
Carlo

Re: Historical reports

Gervase Markham
On 24/04/17 11:01, [hidden email] wrote:

> I get it: Bugzilla is not designed to look retrospectively at its
> DB. It's a big missing feature but best to do fewer things well than
> too many poorly!
>
> Then my question is: is anyone aware of any other product, maybe
> commercial, that allows to gather this kind of stats on Bugzilla? I
> don't think it makes sense to go back to version 4 so now that
> bugzillametrics is not working I'm at real risk of having to migrate
> from Bugzilla. I can't see how we can have any improvement initiative
> without a way to see what happens to our bugs.

It's not that you can't get historical information, you just have to set
Bugzilla up to store it. That's what New Charts is for. Only if you want
arbitrary historical information do things get complex.

Gerv

Re: Historical reports

volpi.c
Again thank you for the answers.

I can only apologise again, probably the context in which I operate makes me ill-equipped for this discussion. I use a variety of tools on a regular basis and the ability of run arbitrary searches is key to how we work.

The idea that someone could come up today with all the questions they will need the answer to in one year is just beyond my imagination. I actually spend more than half of my time trying to convince people that that kind of upfront planning it's not going to ever work and I have quite a few scars to prove it. You know, program manager turned Lean coach sort of beast.

So in my very humble opinion the new charts are an expression of wishful thinking in a complex context. For simple contexts that change rarely it may be different of course.

The old charts are not powerful enough unfortunately. The basic kind of information that most tools allow to extract are flexible Cumulative Flow Diagrams. To be flexible they need to be able to track and freely associate different states and categories. Also stats of state transitions over time are key to determine if any experiment or change is succeeding or failing.
Then, intervals: how long between a bug is raised and when it's resolved depending on clusters of resolutions, that kind of stuff. Still, flexible as in my context there's a tendency to reorganise periodically backlogs and products. All filtered on multiple fields including custom ones.

All possible with BugzillaMetrics... eh.

Gosh I would completely and utterly hate to move our bug tracking but as it is we can't really run any experiments without being able to check its effect. Certainly not Jira. Maybe RedMine? I've seen some good plugins.

Don't know. I'm a bit down about all this.

Thank you again,
Carlo

Re: Historical reports

volpi.c
Yes Thorsten,

I agree I think it's the best thing to try in the short term. It's likely something small this time around and I'd love to contribute back to that project.

I'm worried about a big change of API in the future though.

I'll mention here if we manage to fix it.

Cheers!
Carlo

Re: Historical reports

Gervase Markham
On 25/04/17 13:01, [hidden email] wrote:
> All possible with BugzillaMetrics... eh.

I've never heard of this tool. Is it open source? Is it possible to
update it to work with new Bugzillas? That might be the best route to
what you want.

Gerv