Help

Andrew Riggs
Hey everyone I'm extremely new to Thunderbird.  I have all my mail and
everything hooked up.  I'm fine there. I'm just curious about news
groups etc.  I found a site online that helped me connect to this and it
actually seems pretty cool to have a "forum" sent to your email program.
  I was just curious about how to look for other forums or rooms or
whatever you call them on here.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

P.s. Someone might want to email me telling me how to check this message
once I get off the computer haha.

Re: Help

Ed Mullen
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> Hey everyone I'm extremely new to Thunderbird.  I have all my mail and
> everything hooked up.  I'm fine there. I'm just curious about news
> groups etc.  I found a site online that helped me connect to this and it
> actually seems pretty cool to have a "forum" sent to your email program.
>  I was just curious about how to look for other forums or rooms or
> whatever you call them on here.

For the news.mozilla.org news server, right-click the account in
Thunderbird and choose "Subscribe." You'll get a list of all the groups
on the server.

For topics other than mozilla you need usenet access.  Usually your ISP
will provide a news server that carries all the usenet groups.  There
are thousands of them on almost every imaginable topic.

If your ISP doesn't offer usenet access you can subscribe to a
commercial one like Giganews. Other may be able to refer you to a free
news server.

You can also use Google groups for access but the interface is Web-based
in your browser and I can't stand it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Help

Andrew Riggs
Hey Ed,

Thank you very much for your help!  How do I find my ISP's usenet stuff?
  I have Cox Communications.

Andrew

Re: Help

Ed Mullen
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> Hey Ed,
>
> Thank you very much for your help!  How do I find my ISP's usenet stuff?
>  I have Cox Communications.
>
> Andrew

I'd start at your Cox homepage and search for "news server".  Or use
their Help pages and FAQ.  Even Google as in:

http://www.google.com/search?query=cox%20news%20server&num=50

Last resort, call the 800# help line and ask them where online are the
instructions for setting up your mail software for news/usenet access.
Don't mention Mozilla or Thunderbird, you'll probably get a pat answer
that they only support Outlook Express.  The setup procedure is very
similar, you just need to know the server name, port number, log in
requirements, and such.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Help

CBFalconer
Andrew Riggs wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help!  How do I find my ISP's usenet stuff?
> I have Cox Communications.

Call their help line and ask.  They should give you a news server
URL which you can use to configure your reader (such as TB or NS
4.7x).  Many ISPs flog the responsibility over to giganews, by
purchasing the service for their subscribers.  For this you should
get a URL on your ISPs system.  If they won't give you a suitable
newserver, change ISPs.

--
"The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without
 formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to
 whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943

Re: Help

Andrew Riggs
I guess I'm new to newsgroups.  But why would one pay to access a
forum/usenet?  Is there a difference?

Andrew

Re: Help

Stan Cook
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> I guess I'm new to newsgroups.  But why would one pay to access a
> forum/usenet?  Is there a difference?
>
> Andrew
There are some that charge for the access, but most internet accounts
include the access.  Did yours say it would charge extra?

__S Cook

Re: Help

Steve Wertz
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> I guess I'm new to newsgroups.  But why would one pay to access a
> forum/usenet?  Is there a difference?

There are binary groups that contain all sorts of, uh, things that
you can't easily/legally get elsewhere.

Many legitimate special interest groups as well.  The Usenet
interface/protocol is usually preferred over any web-based forums
and groups (like Yahoo Groups).

-sw

Re: Help

Andrew Riggs
No, I googled "Giganews" and the site said it charged for access.  So is
this like a forum?  Seems like I'm the only one on here talking...

Andrew

Re: Help

gwtc-3
Andrew Riggs wrote:

> Hey everyone I'm extremely new to Thunderbird.  I have all my mail and
> everything hooked up.  I'm fine there. I'm just curious about news
> groups etc.  I found a site online that helped me connect to this and it
> actually seems pretty cool to have a "forum" sent to your email program.
>   I was just curious about how to look for other forums or rooms or
> whatever you call them on here.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Andrew
>
> P.s. Someone might want to email me telling me how to check this message
> once I get off the computer haha.
You are in a newsgroup, not a forum.  Forums are usually web based,
whereas newsgroups are on a news server.  There are other Mozilla
support groups on this server.  Click on File, Subscribe, and hit the
refresh button.  When its finish, filter for the word support then a
list of all the support groups will show up.  There's one for Mozilla
Suite, Seamonkey, Firefox, Thunderbird and other.

--
Time for a change

Re: Help

Ed Mullen
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> No, I googled "Giganews" and the site said it charged for access.  So is
> this like a forum?  Seems like I'm the only one on here talking...
>

> Andrew

Forum = Web/browser access just like regular Web sites
Newsgroup = Accessed via a newsreader program (Thunderbird, Mozilla
Suite, SeaMonkey, etc.)

Newsgroups can be publicly distributed/replicated over many servers
(referred to as Usenet) or they can be privately hosted on
restricted-access servers.

Some people use ISPs which do not provide Usenet access, hence the need
for Giganews as a fee-based Usenet access.

Usenet was originally text only.  However, there are now many newsgroups
that permit posting of HTML messages and others where sharing of binary
files (images, videos, audio files, etc.) is their purpose.

You're not the only one talking here, you've gotten several replies with
useful information/answers, some of which you've replied to. ;-)  A
newsgroup is not instant messaging.  It takes time for messages to
propagate across the many servers that people use to access the newsgroups.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Help

Andrew Riggs
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Andrew Riggs wrote:
>> No, I googled "Giganews" and the site said it charged for access.  So
>> is this like a forum?  Seems like I'm the only one on here talking...
>>

>> Andrew
>
> Forum = Web/browser access just like regular Web sites
> Newsgroup = Accessed via a newsreader program (Thunderbird, Mozilla
> Suite, SeaMonkey, etc.)
>
> Newsgroups can be publicly distributed/replicated over many servers
> (referred to as Usenet) or they can be privately hosted on
> restricted-access servers.
>
> Some people use ISPs which do not provide Usenet access, hence the need
> for Giganews as a fee-based Usenet access.
>
> Usenet was originally text only.  However, there are now many newsgroups
> that permit posting of HTML messages and others where sharing of binary
> files (images, videos, audio files, etc.) is their purpose.
>
> You're not the only one talking here, you've gotten several replies with
> useful information/answers, some of which you've replied to. ;-)  A
> newsgroup is not instant messaging.  It takes time for messages to
> propagate across the many servers that people use to access the newsgroups.

Wow Ed thanks for taking the time to write all of that and everyone else
for your time :-).

Re: Help

Ed Mullen
Andrew Riggs wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Andrew Riggs wrote:
>>> No, I googled "Giganews" and the site said it charged for access.  So
>>> is this like a forum?  Seems like I'm the only one on here talking...
>>>

>>> Andrew
>>
>> Forum = Web/browser access just like regular Web sites
>> Newsgroup = Accessed via a newsreader program (Thunderbird, Mozilla
>> Suite, SeaMonkey, etc.)
>>
>> Newsgroups can be publicly distributed/replicated over many servers
>> (referred to as Usenet) or they can be privately hosted on
>> restricted-access servers.
>>
>> Some people use ISPs which do not provide Usenet access, hence the
>> need for Giganews as a fee-based Usenet access.
>>
>> Usenet was originally text only.  However, there are now many
>> newsgroups that permit posting of HTML messages and others where
>> sharing of binary files (images, videos, audio files, etc.) is their
>> purpose.
>>
>> You're not the only one talking here, you've gotten several replies
>> with useful information/answers, some of which you've replied to. ;-)
>> A newsgroup is not instant messaging.  It takes time for messages to
>> propagate across the many servers that people use to access the
>> newsgroups.
>>
> Wow Ed thanks for taking the time to write all of that and everyone else
> for your time :-).

HTH.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Help

CBFalconer
Ed Mullen wrote:

... snip ...

> Usenet was originally text only.  However, there are now many
> newsgroups that permit posting of HTML messages and others where
> sharing of binary files (images, videos, audio files, etc.) is
> their purpose.

I trust this is NOT one of them.

 the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on

Re: Help

Ed Mullen
CBFalconer wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
> ... snip ...
>> Usenet was originally text only.  However, there are now many
>> newsgroups that permit posting of HTML messages and others where
>> sharing of binary files (images, videos, audio files, etc.) is
>> their purpose.
>
> I trust this is NOT one of them.

your trust is not misplaced. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Help

Leonidas Jones
Andrew Riggs wrote:
> Hey Ed,
>
> Thank you very much for your help!  How do I find my ISP's usenet stuff?
>  I have Cox Communications.
>
> Andrew

Cox has two news servers, news.east.cox.net, and news.west.cox.net.  You
can subscribe to one or both, many groups available.

Lee