Help on how to upgrade Spidermonkey embedding from JS1.8.5

Help on how to upgrade Spidermonkey embedding from JS1.8.5

Miles Thornton
Hi,

I embed Spidermonkey 1.8.5 in our software. I need to think about upgrading to a newer version but I'm conscious that lots has changed since then. Most notably:
1. Now a C++ API
2. The old C JSDBGAPI has been removed and been replaced by a JavaScript based API.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what I should be upgrading to? Spidermonkey 24 seems to be the most recent stable release. It looks like version 31 should be released shortly or should I just checkout a specific release of Firefox code?
The reason for asking is that I want to try to minimise the changes I need to make. I would like (if possible) to avoid having to make lots of changes upgrading to version 24 because the API has changed and then have to make lots of changes again upgrading to version 31 etc.

Any obvious pitfalls or gotchas I should watch out for?

Also I wrote a basic debugger for our embedding using the old JSDBGAPI. A long time ago I asked if anybody had any information on how to switch to using the new JavaScript API and someone kindly pointed me to a couple of talks given on it. I can't find them anymore :-(
Does anybody have any advice on how to use the new JavaScript debugging API or any links to useful talks etc.

Any information or advice from anyone who has upgraded from 1.8.5 would be greatfully received!

Thanks

Miles

Re: Help on how to upgrade Spidermonkey embedding from JS1.8.5

Till Schneidereit-2
Hey Miles,

I would very much recommend moving to v31 and skipping 24. I'm not really
sure how much has changed between those, releases, but I'm fairly sure that
it's enough to give you additional headaches when upgrading again.

Regarding the debugger, I think it can be very helpful to check out the
small command line debugger that Jason wrote. It can be found under
"js/examples/jorendb.js". Also, the debug API is very well documented at
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger-API.

As for obvious pitfalls, by far the biggest change is the move to exact
rooting. I know that Steve Fink helped another embedder getting a rooting
analysis working, so that might be feasible for you, too.

hope that helps,
till

On Monday, 22 September 2014 16:00:29 UTC+1, Till Schneidereit  wrote:
> Hey Miles,
>

> I would very much recommend moving to v31 and skipping 24. I'm not really
>
> sure how much has changed between those, releases, but I'm fairly sure that
>
> it's enough to give you additional headaches when upgrading again.

That's really useful. Thanks for the info.
I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but in that case any idea on when v31 is going to be released?
I see that question has been asked recently on this list but there doesn't seem to have been any response.
I'm assuming it can't be far away then?

I'll take a look at the debugger example.

Thanks again,

Miles