Help needed: Software Update Frozen

RAV-2
I started Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and clicked "Check for Updates."  It
indicated there was an update for 1.5.0.8, so I started that.  It
appeared to start, then after a few seconds it displayed a message to
the effect that the update couldn't be verified and it would now
download the entire package.  I wanted to try the patch update again so
I closed the "Software Update" dialog, closed Thunderbird, and restarted
it and clicked "Check for Updates" again.  Now though it seems
completely frozen.  It is displaying "Paused downloading Thunderbird
1.5.0.8" but the Resume button is grayed out (as are the Back and Next
buttons).  Closing and restarting doesn't help.  I've tried starting in
Safe Mode, but no difference.  Apparently there's a flag somewhere
that's telling Thunderbird it's in the middle of an update, but it's
stuck.  How can I reset things so that I can restart the update?  Thanks
very much.  p

Re: Help needed: Software Update Frozen

RAV-2
RAV wrote:

> I started Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and clicked "Check for Updates."  It
> indicated there was an update for 1.5.0.8, so I started that.  It
> appeared to start, then after a few seconds it displayed a message to
> the effect that the update couldn't be verified and it would now
> download the entire package.  I wanted to try the patch update again so
> I closed the "Software Update" dialog, closed Thunderbird, and restarted
> it and clicked "Check for Updates" again.  Now though it seems
> completely frozen.  It is displaying "Paused downloading Thunderbird
> 1.5.0.8" but the Resume button is grayed out (as are the Back and Next
> buttons).  Closing and restarting doesn't help.  I've tried starting in
> Safe Mode, but no difference.  Apparently there's a flag somewhere
> that's telling Thunderbird it's in the middle of an update, but it's
> stuck.  How can I reset things so that I can restart the update?  Thanks
> very much.  p

I apologize, I sent this to the wrong newsgroup.  Will re-send in the
appropriate newsgroup.