Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
On 29 Nov 2005, we launched the new Mozilla.com. At the time we
launched the new site, we were planning to continue to update and
improve Mozilla.com for our visitors.

One of the first things we'd like to do is make it easier for
non-English speaking visitors to Mozilla.com to quickly get localized
information about Mozilla software, and download their preferred
language versions.

The team responsible for managing these Web site updates here at
Mozilla wants to work closely with the international Mozilla community,
including Mozilla's international affiliates, to make these
improvements.

We've set up a Wiki to plan, implement and manage this localization
project at: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/Localization

We invite the international community to help us flesh out end user
requirements for changes to mozilla.com to help international visitors
better navigate the site. You'll find a stub of a project plan and
initial schedule at the link above.

We see Mozilla.com as a work in progress, and as we continue to update
and improve it, you can find a list of the ongoing work and projects at
the Mozilla.com wiki page: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com

Cheers,
Paul Kim
Director, Product Marketing
Mozilla Corp.

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

didaio
I read Mozilla.com/Localization, but have question: how I can join to
translation of Mozilla.com. I can translate site for Ukrainians.

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Victory-8
Paul Kim wrote:

> One of the first things we'd like to do is make it easier for
> non-English speaking visitors to Mozilla.com to quickly get localized
> information about Mozilla software, and download their preferred
> language versions.

> We've set up a Wiki to plan, implement and manage this localization
> project at: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/Localization

To use content-negotiation, you should use *filename*.*lang*.html or
*filename*.html.*lang* form, not *filename*.html.
Note that there's a problem that typical users don't configure their
browser correctly so this often doesn't make sense by only
content-negotiation so Apache docs use trick in their httpd.conf.

--
victory

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
didaio: please create an account at:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=Special:Userlogout

Then add your name and contact information under the topic "The Team":
http://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Mozilla.com/Localization&action=edit&section=2

We'd be grateful for your help.

-Paul

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2

Is there any idea how Mozilla Europe site [1], that is available in 20
languages excluding English, could be integrated with Mozilla.com
localisation work?

If it's possible to integrate the two, we could prevent ourselves from
translating the same things.

Serkan

[1] http://mozilla-europe.org

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Victory-8
 > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/Localization
btw, what 'sysadmins' and 'testers' mean there?

--
victory

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

mdeaudelin
I'd love to help with the French localization, but I know that the
people at mozilla-europe already have a French website. Should I add my
name for the translation of mozilla.com anyway?

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Cédric-5

Well, any help are welcome but I still cannot find the point to have a
Mozilla.com French (and all other languages already present on MoEu)
localized site as Mozilla-europe.org already has and was created for...

A simple redirection on MoEu, MoJp or MoZh localized pages would be
efficient enough.

Is it a brand new "rivality stuff" between MoCo and Affiliates ??
It's hard enough to find volunteers who stay more than two or three
months, we shouldn't disperse the effort (IMHO).
So, once again, why not a simple redirection page to already localized
pages?

Regards

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
Cedric and mdeaude:

Just to be clear, we're not intending to make mozilla.com the default
site for international users, but instead we want to make it easier for
international users to get to the international sites for Mozilla
Europe, Mozilla Japan, Mozilla China and so on.

So what we're proposing to do is exactly what you describe - to direct
international users who come to mozilla.com to the appropriate
international Mozilla site.

Best,
Paul

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
Hi Ahmet,

The localization work we're proposing for mozilla.com is just to enable
easier redirects to international Mozilla sites - we're not proposing
duplicating work you and the rest of the international community are
already doing for Mozilla Europe.

Paul

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
Victory:

Sysadmins means "system administrators" - these are the people at
Mozilla who manage our web sites (as well as many other IT related
tasks).

Testers means volunteers to help QA the changes we make to Mozilla.com
to help international users get to their localized web site.

Paul

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

pascal chevrel

Le 13/12/2005 23:30, [hidden email] a ecrit :
> I'd love to help with the French localization, but I know that the
> people at mozilla-europe already have a French website. Should I add my
> name for the translation of mozilla.com anyway?

We lack arms currently at mozilla europe (our main translator for the
French version of Mozilla Europe has university exams and will be
unavailable for at least a month), your help would be welcome :)

You can contact me at : pascal.chevrel CHEZ mozilla-europe POINT org

Apart from Mozilla Europe, we also lack manpower for the French version
of the Mozilla Developper Center and I am sure that some help is needed
at frenchmozilla too.

Pascal

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

fantasai
Paul Kim wrote:
> Hi Ahmet,
>
> The localization work we're proposing for mozilla.com is just to enable
> easier redirects to international Mozilla sites - we're not proposing
> duplicating work you and the rest of the international community are
> already doing for Mozilla Europe.

If you are planning to just redirect to Mozilla Europe et al., then why are
we bothering with trying to figure out a localization scheme on mozilla.com?
The solutions listed on your wiki page thus far are all aimed at localizing
a single website, not redirecting people to multiple sites, which, apparently,
is what you /really/ want.

If mozilla.com is going to be all English, anyway, then you don't need to
figure out how to serve up the right translation. The only thing you need
to do is find a reasonable way to redirect people to the appropriate
affiliate site. But why not make everything simple and direct *everyone*
to mozilla-world.org? It will be the most completely translated site, and,
despite popular and corporate opinion in the US, we are all part of the
world after all.

P.S. How many times do we have to tell people that language != nationality
      before it really sinks in?

~fantasai
who thinks Mozilla's affiliate setup is all ridiculous. See Post Script above.

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Benoit-4
[hidden email] a écrit :
> I'd love to help with the French localization, but I know that the
> people at mozilla-europe already have a French website. Should I add my
> name for the translation of mozilla.com anyway?

You're welcome to do it, as Pascal said we lack arms for all the French
translation related things :)

It would be nice if you showed up on IRC (#frenchmoz) every now and then
though in order to coordinate our efforts. You could also suscribe to
the Frenchmozilla mailing list and post there every time some
proofreading is needed.

--
Benoit
FrenchMozilla Translation Team, Geckozone admin, devmo translator, *.

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

beltzner
fantasai wrote:
> The solutions listed on your wiki page thus far are all aimed at localizing
> a single website, not redirecting people to multiple sites, which, apparently,
> is what you /really/ want.

The goals and objectives listed on the wiki are clear and prioritized.
The number one use case we want to support is someone coming to our
page who wants to get our software. Whether or not we do that by
hosting localized content on mozilla.com or pointing them to a
localized website that also hosts our software is, to my mind, an
implementation detail.

We need to pick a solution that's easy to put together quickly. We can
then iterate and perfect our approach later if it's felt that further
work is needed.

> despite popular and corporate opinion in the US, we are all part of the
> world after all.

This sort of trolling isn't helping anyone, and certainly not bringing
us any closer to a solution.

> P.S. How many times do we have to tell people that language != nationality
>       before it really sinks in?

Just the once is enough for me, really, but being a French and English
speaking Canadian, you didn't really have to go that far to convince
me.

[hidden email] wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>
>>The solutions listed on your wiki page thus far are all aimed at localizing
>>a single website, not redirecting people to multiple sites, which, apparently,
>>is what you /really/ want.
>
> The goals and objectives listed on the wiki are clear and prioritized.
> The number one use case we want to support is someone coming to our
> page who wants to get our software. Whether or not we do that by
> hosting localized content on mozilla.com or pointing them to a
> localized website that also hosts our software is, to my mind, an
> implementation detail.

Hosting localized content on mozilla.com is not under consideration.
Did you not read Paul Kim's message?

> We need to pick a solution that's easy to put together quickly. We can
> then iterate and perfect our approach later if it's felt that further
> work is needed.

Redirecting everyone to mozilla-world.org would be very easy to put
together quickly and it would treat everyone equally no matter what
their language or region. What makes it not a good a idea?

>>P.S. How many times do we have to tell people that language != nationality
>>      before it really sinks in?
>
> Just the once is enough for me, really, but being a French and English
> speaking Canadian, you didn't really have to go that far to convince
> me.

If you didn't speak English and therefore couldn't read and understand
mozilla.com, would you consider being directed to mozilla-europe.org
to be appropriate, despite the fact that you live nowhere near Europe?

~fantasai

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

fmg2000
Quick update - I had originally hoped to post a proposed short-term
solution to improving international accessibility to mozilla.com by 20
Dec 05, but we're still refining the proposal based on the inputs from
the community to the wiki at
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/Localization.

Please bear with us as we pull this together this week. I'll post an
update once the proposal is ready for comment.

-Paul

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

charleschl
Hi, I would like to help with Brazilian Portuguese!

Re: Help make Mozilla.com better for international Users

Paul Kim
We've posted a proposed solution for the short-term to help
international users who come to mozilla.com. Thanks to everyone for
their feedback, suggestions, and willingness to volunteer to help.

The proposed solution is here:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Proposed_Update_to_Mozilla.com_for_International_Users

We'll take comments and feedback until next Friday, Jan. 13.

The original wiki with your suggestions is here:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.com/Localization

Regards,
Paul Kim
Mozilla Corp.