Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
> States on mobile and desktop.

Yahoo and Mozilla
<http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/>

The Yahoo Tumblr
<http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/103069386424/yahoo-and-mozilla-partner-to-bring-yahoo-search-to>
post and I'm having trouble connecting to the Mozilla Blog
<http://blog.mozilla.com/>

Kind of interesting since Yahoo refuses to respect  DNT.

I'll still use Startpage or DuckDuckGo.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/19/2014 06:22 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
>> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
>> States on mobile and desktop.
>
> Yahoo and Mozilla
> <http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/>
>
> The Yahoo Tumblr
> <http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/103069386424/yahoo-and-mozilla-partner-to-bring-yahoo-search-to>
> post and I'm having trouble connecting to the Mozilla Blog
> <http://blog.mozilla.com/>
>
> Kind of interesting since Yahoo refuses to respect  DNT.
>
> I'll still use Startpage or DuckDuckGo.

 From the Mozilla blog post
<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/>.

>   * Under this partnership, Yahoo will also support Do Not Track (DNT)
>     <https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/desktop/trust/> in Firefox.
>
> We are ending our practice of having a single global default search
> provider. We are adopting a more local and flexible approach to
> increase choice and innovation on the Web, with new and expanded
> search partnerships by country:

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Dave Warren-2
In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
WaltS48 <[hidden email]> said:

> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that makes
> Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United States on
> mobile and desktop.

Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How do I
fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
to type it?

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/19/2014 07:43 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> WaltS48 <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that makes
>> Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United States on
>> mobile and desktop.
> Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How do I
> fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
> to type it?

I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to Google.

I have noticed quite a few don't read release notes, so start spreading
the news.

That is why I started this thread.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Desiree-11
On 11/19/2014 1:22 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
>> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
>> States on mobile and desktop.
>
> Yahoo and Mozilla
> <http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/>
>
> The Yahoo Tumblr
> <http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/103069386424/yahoo-and-mozilla-partner-to-bring-yahoo-search-to>
> post and I'm having trouble connecting to the Mozilla Blog
> <http://blog.mozilla.com/>
>
> Kind of interesting since Yahoo refuses to respect  DNT.
>
> I'll still use Startpage or DuckDuckGo.

So, when does this go into effect?  Will Yahoo be the default search
engine on Fx 31.2 ESR whenever Mozilla releases a fixed version and
turns internal update back on?

I don't use the Search engine and hide it. I type the address of the
search engine I want into the address bar each time.  (I actually only
need to type the first letter or two and then select from the
suggestions).  I  have had Yahoo website in my Hosts file for years.
They are far worse than Google with snooping on their users.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/19/2014 09:33 PM, Desiree wrote:

> On 11/19/2014 1:22 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
>>> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
>>> States on mobile and desktop.
>>
>> Yahoo and Mozilla
>> <http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/>
>>

>> The Yahoo Tumblr
>> <http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/103069386424/yahoo-and-mozilla-partner-to-bring-yahoo-search-to>
>>
>> post and I'm having trouble connecting to the Mozilla Blog
>> <http://blog.mozilla.com/>
>>
>> Kind of interesting since Yahoo refuses to respect  DNT.
>>
>> I'll still use Startpage or DuckDuckGo.
>
> So, when does this go into effect?  Will Yahoo be the default search
> engine on Fx 31.2 ESR whenever Mozilla releases a fixed version and
> turns internal update back on?
>
> I don't use the Search engine and hide it. I type the address of the
> search engine I want into the address bar each time.  (I actually only
> need to type the first letter or two and then select from the
> suggestions).  I  have had Yahoo website in my Hosts file for years.
> They are far worse than Google with snooping on their users.

It goes into effect in December. I don't have a clue.

> Under this partnership, Yahoo will also support Do Not Track (DNT)
> <https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/desktop/trust/> in Firefox.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Ralph Fox-4
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:29:54 -0500, WaltS48 wrote:

>  From the Mozilla blog post
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/>.
>
>> We are ending our practice of having a single global default search
>> provider. We are adopting a more local and flexible approach to
>> increase choice and innovation on the Web, with new and expanded
>> search partnerships by country:

That practice appears to have ended 2½ years ago, for Thunderbird.

At that time the Thunderbird's default search engine was changed to
Bing, at least for US users (in TB 11).  Meanwhile, my en-GB version of
Thunderbird continued to use Google (and still is).

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Ron Hunter
On 11/20/2014 2:15 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:29:54 -0500, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>>  From the Mozilla blog post
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/>.
>>

>>> We are ending our practice of having a single global default search
>>> provider. We are adopting a more local and flexible approach to
>>> increase choice and innovation on the Web, with new and expanded
>>> search partnerships by country:
>

> That practice appears to have ended 2½ years ago, for Thunderbird.
>
> At that time the Thunderbird's default search engine was changed to
> Bing, at least for US users (in TB 11).  Meanwhile, my en-GB version of
> Thunderbird continued to use Google (and still is).

I can't imagine a use for searching Google (or Bing) in Thunderbird.
And in browsers, I want Google, I go to their website, if I want Bing
(almost never), then I go to their website.  I don't even have the
search box on my user interface.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Desiree-11
On 11/19/2014 5:04 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Yahoo and Mozilla
>>> <http://andreasgal.com/2014/11/19/yahoo-and-mozilla-form-strategic-partnership/>
>>>

>>> The Yahoo Tumblr
>>> <http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/103069386424/yahoo-and-mozilla-partner-to-bring-yahoo-search-to>
>>>
>>> post and I'm having trouble connecting to the Mozilla Blog
>>> <http://blog.mozilla.com/>
>>>
>>> Kind of interesting since Yahoo refuses to respect  DNT.
>>>
>>> I'll still use Startpage or DuckDuckGo.
>>
>> So, when does this go into effect?  Will Yahoo be the default search
>> engine on Fx 31.2 ESR whenever Mozilla releases a fixed version and
>> turns internal update back on?
>>
>> I don't use the Search engine and hide it. I type the address of the
>> search engine I want into the address bar each time.  (I actually
>> only need to type the first letter or two and then select from the
>> suggestions).  I  have had Yahoo website in my Hosts file for years.
>> They are far worse than Google with snooping on their users.
>

> It goes into effect in December. I don't have a clue.
>
>> Under this partnership, Yahoo will also support Do Not Track (DNT)
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/desktop/trust/> in Firefox.

Thanks.  December 2 is when Fx 24.8/8.1 ESR will have internal updating
turned back on and that will result in an upgrade to Fx 31.3.0.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Daniel
On 20/11/14 11:55, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/19/2014 07:43 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
>> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
>> WaltS48 <[hidden email]> said:
>>
>>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that makes
>>> Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United States on
>>> mobile and desktop.
>> Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How do I
>> fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
>> to type it?
>

> I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
> a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to Google.

Are you suggesting people will be Yahooing how to switch back to Google.

(I hate it when people say they will Google something, meaning they will
Internet Search for something. I don't Google, or Yahoo, I DuckDuckGo!!)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.29 Build identifier: 20140829003846
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.31 Build identifier: 20141020202138

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Ron Hunter
On 11/20/2014 4:29 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 20/11/14 11:55, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/19/2014 07:43 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

>>> Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How do I
>>> fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
>>> to type it?
>>

>> I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
>> a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to
>> Google.
>
> Are you suggesting people will be Yahooing how to switch back to Google.
>
> (I hate it when people say they will Google something, meaning they will
> Internet Search for something. I don't Google, or Yahoo, I DuckDuckGo!!)

So, Duck for it! Grin.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Daniel
On 20/11/14 21:42, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/20/2014 4:29 AM, Daniel wrote:

>>> I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
>>> a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to
>>> Google.
>>
>> Are you suggesting people will be Yahooing how to switch back to Google.
>>
>> (I hate it when people say they will Google something, meaning they will
>> Internet Search for something. I don't Google, or Yahoo, I DuckDuckGo!!)
>>
> So, Duck for it! Grin.

Yes, Sir!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.29 Build identifier: 20140829003846
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.31 Build identifier: 20141020202138

Re: Hello Yahoo!

caver1-5
On 11/20/2014 5:29 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 20/11/14 11:55, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/19/2014 07:43 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

>>> Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How do I
>>> fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
>>> to type it?
>>

>> I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
>> a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to
>> Google.
>
> Are you suggesting people will be Yahooing how to switch back to Google.
>
> (I hate it when people say they will Google something, meaning they will
> Internet Search for something. I don't Google, or Yahoo, I DuckDuckGo!!)

I only use the term "Google for it" so that everyone knows what I am
talking about.

--
Caver1

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/20/2014 05:29 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 20/11/14 11:55, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/19/2014 07:43 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

>>> Who wants to submit a patch to set the default search query to "How
>>> do I
>>> fix the default search engine in Firefox?" to save the user from having
>>> to type it?
>>

>> I guess you are implying users are going to think Firefox is broken with
>> a Yahoo search engine, and will want to know how to fix it back to
>> Google.
>
> Are you suggesting people will be Yahooing how to switch back to Google.
>
> (I hate it when people say they will Google something, meaning they
> will Internet Search for something. I don't Google, or Yahoo, I
> DuckDuckGo!!)

Good one! Yes, the yahoos will be Yahooing  how to switch back.

After all how many years has Google been the default. Users will expect
it to be there.

I wonder if in five years users will be saying they will Yahoo that,
meaning search.

I use the address bar or the new tab search box. No search box on my
navigation bar. It was Startpage, now experimenting with DuckDuckGo.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/20/2014 03:33 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/20/2014 2:15 AM, Ralph Fox wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:29:54 -0500, WaltS48 wrote:
>>
>>>  From the Mozilla blog post
>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/>.

>> That practice appears to have ended 2½ years ago, for Thunderbird.
>>
>> At that time the Thunderbird's default search engine was changed to
>> Bing, at least for US users (in TB 11).  Meanwhile, my en-GB version of
>> Thunderbird continued to use Google (and still is).
>>
> I can't imagine a use for searching Google (or Bing) in Thunderbird.
> And in browsers, I want Google, I go to their website, if I want Bing
> (almost never), then I go to their website.  I don't even have the
> search box on my user interface.

Highlight a word or phrase such as "Thunderbird's default search engine"
in the text above or in this sentence, right click, click Search Bing
for:, and save the user the steps of going to the web page or search box
in the browser, entering the search term and clicking the search button.

No search box on my navigation bar either. I use the address field or
search in the new tab page.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Mike Easter-2
WaltS48 wrote:
>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
>> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
>> States on mobile and desktop.

Another article - SJV-N -
http://www.zdnet.com/despite-losing-google-as-its-cash-cow-mozilla-isnt-dead-yet-7000035984/
- This year has been annus horribilis — a horrible year — for Mozilla. -
This strikes me as much more a partnership of two companies in need of
all the help they can get, - One irony of this deal is that this means
Microsoft's web search engine Bing will become Firefox's default.  -
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

--
Mike Easter

Re: Hello Yahoo!

WaltS48
On 11/20/2014 09:07 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Wednesday, November 19, 2014 – Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) and Mozilla
>>> Corporation today announced a strategic five-year partnership that
>>> makes Yahoo the default search experience for Firefox in the United
>>> States on mobile and desktop.
>
> Another article - SJV-N -
> http://www.zdnet.com/despite-losing-google-as-its-cash-cow-mozilla-isnt-dead-yet-7000035984/
> - This year has been annus horribilis — a horrible year — for Mozilla.
> - This strikes me as much more a partnership of two companies in need
> of all the help they can get, - One irony of this deal is that this
> means Microsoft's web search engine Bing will become Firefox's
> default.  - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

I saw that Yahoo search was powered by Bing in a couple news articles I
read this morning. Thanks for that link.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Mike Easter-2
WaltS48 wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>> Another article - SJV-N -
>> http://www.zdnet.com/despite-losing-google-as-its-cash-cow-mozilla-isnt-dead-yet-7000035984/
>> - This year has been annus horribilis — a horrible year — for Mozilla.
>> - This strikes me as much more a partnership of two companies in need
>> of all the help they can get, - One irony of this deal is that this
>> means Microsoft's web search engine Bing will become Firefox's
>> default.  - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>
> I saw that Yahoo search was powered by Bing in a couple news articles I
> read this morning. Thanks for that link.

For the most part, I don't use Firefox as my browser. My first
preference is Chrome.  But I often use an older machine whose CPU
doesn't do SSE2, so neither Chrome nor Chromium even run and Firefox
runs but not really well, so I mostly use Opera on it. I'm on that
machine right now.

When I want to 'learn' something, I don't generally turn to a general
search engine first.  My (re)search usually starts in the wikipedia,
followed by exploration of references from there, and my 3rd choice is a
careful choice of terms based on that research applied to a general
search engine such as google's.

Some searches related to recent events evolve to google news from
wikipedia rather than googleweb.  Back when usenet was more vibrant and
googlegroups search function was much more robust, there was utility in
googlegroups search of usenet.  No more.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Ron Hunter
On 11/20/2014 8:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> Another article - SJV-N -
>> http://www.zdnet.com/despite-losing-google-as-its-cash-cow-mozilla-isnt-dead-yet-7000035984/
>> - This year has been annus horribilis — a horrible year — for Mozilla.
>> - This strikes me as much more a partnership of two companies in need
>> of all the help they can get, - One irony of this deal is that this
>> means Microsoft's web search engine Bing will become Firefox's
>> default.  - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>>

> I saw that Yahoo search was powered by Bing in a couple news articles I
> read this morning. Thanks for that link.

I still find Bing more suitable for 3rd graders, and below.  Not that
the search algorithm is bad, or the number of hits, but the way it is
presented is pretty kid friendly, rather than college level academic
looking.  Even the 5th graders I taught refused to use it because it
seemed to 'talk down' to them.  I guess that's how MS looks at the
average web user.

Re: Hello Yahoo!

Ron Hunter
On 11/20/2014 7:11 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/20/2014 03:33 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> That practice appears to have ended 2½ years ago, for Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> At that time the Thunderbird's default search engine was changed to
>>> Bing, at least for US users (in TB 11).  Meanwhile, my en-GB version of
>>> Thunderbird continued to use Google (and still is).
>>>
>> I can't imagine a use for searching Google (or Bing) in Thunderbird.
>> And in browsers, I want Google, I go to their website, if I want Bing
>> (almost never), then I go to their website.  I don't even have the
>> search box on my user interface.
>>

> Highlight a word or phrase such as "Thunderbird's default search engine"
> in the text above or in this sentence, right click, click Search Bing
> for:, and save the user the steps of going to the web page or search box
> in the browser, entering the search term and clicking the search button.
>
> No search box on my navigation bar either. I use the address field or
> search in the new tab page.
I go to the google secure website.  I don't need Mozilla tracking my
searches, Google is invasive enough.  Suspect the same would happen with
searching from Thunderbird.
I just selected a word in your post, right-clicked, and didn't see any
search option at all.