Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
58 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

WaltS48
[Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20 • The
Register](http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)

Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.

--
Sponsored by Firefox 33.0RC1 and Thunderbird 31.1.2
GO Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

caver1-5
On 10/14/2014 09:19 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20 • The
> Register](http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>
> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>

I still have all the disks starting with Navigator.

--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PietB
In reply to this post by WaltS48
WaltS48 wrote:
> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
> • The Register]
> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.

The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
official release would *not* be for free...

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

Dino-3
PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>> • The Register]
>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>
> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
> official release would *not* be for free...
>
> -p
>
I still run it on the Win98 box.And the price was not unreasonable.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

WaltS48
In reply to this post by PietB
On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>> • The Register]
>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>
> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
> official release would *not* be for free...
>
> -p
>


"Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the World Wide
Web into the mainstream, was released twenty years ago yesterday, on
October 13th 1994."

I got my first computer in 1994. A Packard Bell with a 50MHz processor,
256 MB RAM (maybe 512?), and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I used IE
until I heard about Netscape and installed it.

It has all been downhill from there switching to Linux, Firefox and
Thunderbird. ;)

I had not heard about Mosaic until much later, and never used it. AFAIK
it didn't take the WWW into the mainstream.

--
Sponsored by Firefox 34.0bx and Thunderbird 36.0a1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

Dino-3
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>>> • The Register]
>>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>>>
>>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>>
>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>> official release would *not* be for free...
>>
>> -p
>>
>
>
> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the World Wide
> Web into the mainstream, was released twenty years ago yesterday, on
> October 13th 1994."
>
> I got my first computer in 1994. A Packard Bell with a 50MHz processor,
> 256 MB RAM (maybe 512?), and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I used IE
> until I heard about Netscape and installed it.
>
> It has all been downhill from there switching to Linux, Firefox and
> Thunderbird. ;)
>
> I had not heard about Mosaic until much later, and never used it. AFAIK
> it didn't take the WWW into the mainstream.
>
Netscape was much better than Mosaic.I think Mosaic might have been
written by college students,maybe Illinois.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PietB
Dino wrote:
> Netscape was much better than Mosaic.I think Mosaic might
> have been written by college students,maybe Illinois.

I presume you were a student in Illinois? :-D

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PietB
In reply to this post by WaltS48
WaltS48 wrote:
> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the
> World Wide Web into the mainstream

Yeah, right.
James Watt, *credited* with inventing the steam engine.
Alexander Graham Bell, *credited* with inventing the telephone.
etc.

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PietB
In reply to this post by Dino-3
Dino wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>> official release would *not* be for free...
>
> I still run it on the Win98 box.And the price was not unreasonable.

Just *any* price is unreasonable if you get thousands of folks to
do testing for you because you *more than strongly suggest" that
the final release will be for free.

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

WaltS48
In reply to this post by PietB
On 10/14/2014 01:52 PM, PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the
>> World Wide Web into the mainstream
>
> Yeah, right.
> James Watt, *credited* with inventing the steam engine.
> Alexander Graham Bell, *credited* with inventing the telephone.
> etc.
>
> -p
>


Sorry, I'm not as knowledgeable on the subject as you appear to be, so
enlighten us readers on how Mosaic took the WWW into the mainstream.

--
Sponsored by Firefox 34.0bx and Thunderbird 36.0a1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

caver1-5
In reply to this post by PietB
On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>> • The Register]
>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>
> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
> official release would *not* be for free...
>
> -p
>

The first web browser was World Wide Web. There were two others before
Mosaic but I don't remember their names.sudo xhost
+SI:localuser:lightdmsudo su lightdm -s /bin/bashgsettings set
com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false;exit

--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

Dino-3
In reply to this post by PietB
PietB wrote:
> Dino wrote:
>> Netscape was much better than Mosaic.I think Mosaic might
>> have been written by college students,maybe Illinois.
>
> I presume you were a student in Illinois? :-D
>
> -p
>
Indiana State
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PhillipJones-2
In reply to this post by WaltS48
WaltS48 wrote:
> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20 • The
> Register](http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>
>
> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>

I started out with Netscape Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold paid $39.95 for it
came with a paperback Manual about 50-75 pages. And on a CD.  The next
year, as MS was good to do, trying to run everyone out business they put
out IE and Caused the demise of Netscape.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]
http://phillipjones-cet.net/
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

RAV-2
In reply to this post by caver1-5
On 10/14/2014 2:00 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>>> • The Register]
>>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>>>
>>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>>
>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>> official release would *not* be for free...
>>
>> -p
>>
>
> The first web browser was World Wide Web. There were two others before
> Mosaic but I don't remember their names.sudo xhost
> +SI:localuser:lightdmsudo su lightdm -s /bin/bashgsettings set
> com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false;exit
>

Yes, though it was spelled without spaces (WorldWideWeb).
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

caver1-5
On 10/14/2014 04:26 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 10/14/2014 2:00 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:
>>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>>>> • The Register]
>>>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>>>>
>>>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>>>
>>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>>> official release would *not* be for free...
>>>
>>> -p
>>>
>>
>> The first web browser was World Wide Web. There were two others before
>> Mosaic but I don't remember their names.sudo xhost
>> +SI:localuser:lightdmsudo su lightdm -s /bin/bashgsettings set
>> com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false;exit
>>
>
> Yes, though it was spelled without spaces (WorldWideWeb).
>

  :p
It was also given another name, started with an N.

--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

RAV-2
On 10/14/2014 6:53 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 10/14/2014 04:26 PM, Rav wrote:
>> On 10/14/2014 2:00 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>>> On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:
>>>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>>>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>>>>> • The Register]
>>>>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>>>>
>>>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>>>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>>>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>>>> official release would *not* be for free...
>>>>
>>>> -p
>>>>
>>>
>>> The first web browser was World Wide Web. There were two others before
>>> Mosaic but I don't remember their names.sudo xhost
>>> +SI:localuser:lightdmsudo su lightdm -s /bin/bashgsettings set
>>> com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false;exit
>>>
>>
>> Yes, though it was spelled without spaces (WorldWideWeb).
>>
>
>   :p
> It was also given another name, started with an N.
>

Yup, Nexus.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

Ed Mullen-9
In reply to this post by WaltS48
WaltS48 wrote on 10/14/2014 12:28 PM:

> On 10/14/2014 12:10 PM, PietB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> [Netscape Navigator - the browser that started it all - turns 20
>>> • The Register]
>>> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/netscape_navigator_the_browser_that_started_it_all_turns_20/)
>>>
>>> Been using Netscape and Mozilla products ever since I discovered it.
>>
>> The Register is a bit off-track. The browser that really started
>> it all was Mosaic. I've been using pre-releases of it. And good
>> grief, did Marc Andreessen get flamed when he announced that the
>> official release would *not* be for free...
>>
>> -p
>>
>
>
> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the World Wide
> Web into the mainstream, was released twenty years ago yesterday, on
> October 13th 1994."
>
> I got my first computer in 1994. A Packard Bell with a 50MHz processor,
> 256 MB RAM (maybe 512?), and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I used IE
> until I heard about Netscape and installed it.
>
> It has all been downhill from there switching to Linux, Firefox and
> Thunderbird. ;)
>
> I had not heard about Mosaic until much later, and never used it. AFAIK
> it didn't take the WWW into the mainstream.
>

I consider it all up hill since then.  Err, well, you know, I mean it's
all been better since then.  Sorry, at this late hour my language
parsing isn't what it could be.

But, since the early days?  It's all gotten better.

And, frankly, hardware advances are kinda marginal for most computing
demands.  The box I'm on now is just a dual-core machine circa 2008.
Upgraded RAM and lots of storage but, still, my 3-year old laptop is
faster but so what?  I'm typing into a freaking newsgroup.  How fast
does my PC need to be?

Okay, every once in a great while I might stress the machine.  But
that's fewer and farther between than not.

I suppose if I got a new machine tomorrow I'd likely be wowed for a week
or two by it.  But, really, then I'd be typing here and would think:
"Well, hell, it's just plain-text on a screen.  Ain't no faster than my
1990 Gateway 386 machine, eh?"

Sigh.  Now I've gone and convinced myself I need a new PC!!!  Geez.


--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

WaltS48
On 10/14/2014 07:57 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Sigh.  Now I've gone and convinced myself I need a new PC!!!  Geez.


I type just as fast on this 3.2GHz processor PC as I did on the 50MHz.
Save your money for the next iPhone.

--
Sponsored by Firefox 33.0RC1 and Thunderbird 31.1.2
GO Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

Martin Edwards-3
In reply to this post by PietB
On 14/10/2014 18:52, PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the
>> World Wide Web into the mainstream
>
> Yeah, right.
> James Watt, *credited* with inventing the steam engine.
> Alexander Graham Bell, *credited* with inventing the telephone.
> etc.
>
> -p
>
James Watt did not invent the steam engine and is not credited with it.
  He invented a separate condenser which greatly increased its
efficiency and made it powerful enough to work machinery.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy Birthday Netscape Navigator!

PietB
Martin Edwards wrote:

> PietB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> "Netscape Navigator, the browser *credited* with taking the
>>> World Wide Web into the mainstream
>>
>> Yeah, right.
>> James Watt, *credited* with inventing the steam engine.
>> Alexander Graham Bell, *credited* with inventing the telephone.
>> etc.
>
> James Watt did not invent the steam engine

Correct.

> and is not credited with it.

Popular belief definitely credits him for that, because he
turned Newcomen's 'fire engine' into a "real" 'steam engine'.

> He invented a separate condenser which greatly increased its
> efficiency and made it powerful enough to work machinery.

I know all about it.

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
123