Handling product names in localizations

Huda Sarfraz
Hi,

I'm localizing SeaMonkey for Urdu and am trying to figure out whether I
should transliterate occurrences of product names into Urdu or leave them in
English, for example, "SeaMonkey" and "Windows". Would there be a problem if
I transliterated "SeaMonkey" into Urdu? Are there any guidelines for this or
is it up to the localizers?

Thanks,
Huda

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Marek Stępień-2
Huda Sarfraz pisze:
> Would there be a
> problem if
> I transliterated "SeaMonkey" into Urdu? Are there any guidelines for
> this or
> is it up to the localizers?

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/l10n-policy.html

"Localization teams may transcribe the Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird
names into a locale's alphabet as needed."

So, you can transcribe the name (e.g. Mozilla -> Мозилла).

BTW, are other software product names transcribed in Urdu (Windows,
Linux, etc.)?

--
Marek Stępień
Aviary.pl

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Ankit Patel
I'm localizing SeaMonkey for Urdu and am trying to figure out whether I
should transliterate occurrences of product names into Urdu or leave them in
English, for example, "SeaMonkey" and "Windows". Would there be a problem if
I transliterated "SeaMonkey" into Urdu? Are there any guidelines for this or
is it up to the localizers?

Thanks,
Huda

I am not sure whether there is any guideline for this on mozilla or not. But, normally i don't translate such words, as they refer to either product name or company name, which are trademarks. So, best practice is not to translate them, not even transliterate them. I hope other translators are also doing the same. It may create some legal issue also i think.

Let's see for others' views on this & then you can decide what to do for this.

Btw, Good to see Urdu localization for mozilla initiative. Let me know, if i can help you in anyway.

Ankit Patel
http://www.indianoss.org/

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Axel Hecht
Marek Stępień wrote:

> Huda Sarfraz pisze:
>> Would there be a problem if
>> I transliterated "SeaMonkey" into Urdu? Are there any guidelines for
>> this or
>> is it up to the localizers?
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/l10n-policy.html
>
> "Localization teams may transcribe the Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird
> names into a locale's alphabet as needed."
>
> So, you can transcribe the name (e.g. Mozilla -> Мозилла).
>
> BTW, are other software product names transcribed in Urdu (Windows,
> Linux, etc.)?

I think we have one team that does that currently. There have been bugs
in the past on code using those values when they intended to get
"Firefox", though I'd hope we'd have them resolved.

The transcription phrase quoted by Marek should still be valid, though
that document is awful state in general. It may not apply to SeaMonkey,
though, so Robert is likely the best to answer.

In general, transcription is more of a last resort, as it's not the best
thing to do from a marketing point of view. So there needs to be a large
benefit in user experience to make up for that.

Axel

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Robert Kaiser
Huda Sarfraz schrieb:
> I'm localizing SeaMonkey for Urdu and am trying to figure out whether I
> should transliterate occurrences of product names into Urdu or leave
> them in
> English, for example, "SeaMonkey" and "Windows". Would there be a
> problem if
> I transliterated "SeaMonkey" into Urdu? Are there any guidelines for
> this or
> is it up to the localizers?

You should not translate them, i.e. not use the translation of "windows"
for the OS, or a combination of "sea" and "monkey" for "SeaMonkey".
What you can probably do is transcribing it to the script used in your
language, but still leaving them as English words (they are trademarks
after all). In most languages, it's best to leave them unchanged.

What Axel and others said in this thread should be correct for your work
as well.

Robert Kaiser

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Marion Gunn
Leave them in English, for many reasons, for example:

Translating them might break something internally in sub-UI searches,
or make it impossible to find _relevant_ online help, except at great
inconvenience to your users, not to mention bring down on your head
the wrath of the legal departments of some of the suppliers, for whom
their proprietory names are products in themselves, changing which
means defacing their commercio-religious symbols.
mg

- -
Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
* [hidden email] * [hidden email] *

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Huda Sarfraz
Thank you all,

I guess it is ok to transcribe but it is better to use English. Does this
apply to non-Mozilla product names in SeaMonkey strings as well, e.g., would
it also be ok to transcribe "Outlook Express" in this string from SeaMonkey
"Outlook Express Address Book"?

(The few Urdu OSS localizations that I've seen (mostly unofficial) use both
English and Urdu transcription for product names (OpenOffice ur-IN - uses
English; Mozilla Suite ur-PK - uses Urdu; Firefox ur-IN - uses Urdu), but
Urdu MS Windows has all the product names in English.)

Huda Sarfraz schrieb:

> I guess it is ok to transcribe but it is better to use English. Does this
> apply to non-Mozilla product names in SeaMonkey strings as well, e.g.,
> would
> it also be ok to transcribe "Outlook Express" in this string from SeaMonkey
> "Outlook Express Address Book"?
>
> (The few Urdu OSS localizations that I've seen (mostly unofficial) use both
> English and Urdu transcription for product names (OpenOffice ur-IN - uses
> English; Mozilla Suite ur-PK - uses Urdu; Firefox ur-IN - uses Urdu), but
> Urdu MS Windows has all the product names in English.)

It usually best to follow the names the applications are using
themselves, so use English for MS Windows names when that OS does so
(and I guess that includes Outlook).

Esp. when it's seen as OK by users in your area, I think we'd prefer if
you'd use the English variant for "SeaMonkey" as well.

I'd strongly recommend that you refer to other applications with the
name/script they are using for their version available to Urdu users, so
they immediately recognize it.

Robert Kaiser
SeaMonkey Council member

Re: Handling product names in localizations

Huda Sarfraz
Ok, we'll keep the product names in English,
Thanks!

Huda.