Hacking Mozilla

Aaron Leventhal-3
Ken asked how code can actually be contributed.

http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/
That documentation has yet to be restructured and put into
developer.mozilla.org, but it's on the list.

In general Google (and Google Groups) are the best way to find things
that have been captured in documentation or notes:

As far as actually getting the source and building it, the best docs are
currently on developer.mozilla.org here:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Developing_Mozilla
Don't bother with nightly source releases, just use CVS.

- Aaron

Re: Hacking Mozilla

Ken Perry

Thanks that is what I was looking for I had been on the dev page and clicked
on a good 100+ links and hadn't found it.  I will go read this one and see
if it gives me the info.  I already have the CVS and all development stuff
set up  I just need to find what I do once I fix something.  The Bug list
right now on accessibility for Thunder bird is short and most seem to have
been fixed that exist.  So I am guessing I am going to have to create a bug
list on Bugzilla first before being able to put in fixes for them.

Well off to read more web pages.

Ken

 Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Ken asked how code can actually be contributed.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/
> That documentation has yet to be restructured and put into
> developer.mozilla.org, but it's on the list.
>
> In general Google (and Google Groups) are the best way to find things that
> have been captured in documentation or notes:
>
> As far as actually getting the source and building it, the best docs are
> currently on developer.mozilla.org here:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Developing_Mozilla
> Don't bother with nightly source releases, just use CVS.
>
> - Aaron

Re: Hacking Mozilla

Ken Perry

Well that page explained a lot.  I kind of got distracted reading the
documents on xpCom but I am back again.  Now according to that page if I
make a change I have to turn the change into a module owner.  Aaron you are
listed as the Accessibility module owner but for example this problem I am
having with the To field with Jaws is not a problem that will change the
accessibility module but it more  affects the Thunder bird mail module which
has Scott MacGregor as the module owner.  I am assuming since the change I
want to make has to do with accessibility but not to do with the
accessibility module I would have to go through Scott or one of his Peers to
get the change in.  Is that assumption correct?

If so I will add that news group and start working on it.

Ken

"Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Ken asked how code can actually be contributed.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/
> That documentation has yet to be restructured and put into
> developer.mozilla.org, but it's on the list.
>
> In general Google (and Google Groups) are the best way to find things that
> have been captured in documentation or notes:
>
> As far as actually getting the source and building it, the best docs are
> currently on developer.mozilla.org here:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Developing_Mozilla
> Don't bother with nightly source releases, just use CVS.
>
> - Aaron

Re: Hacking Mozilla

Håkan Waara
Ken,

Yeah that's correct. If you eventually have a patch for the
Thunderbird problem, attach it to a thunderbird bug and then request
review from mscott (Scott MacGregor) or possibly bienvenu (David
Bienvenu, also a mailnews peer).

They will then review and check it in.

/Håkan