HTML5 video streaming and flash

Kevin Chadwick
The video element has been somewhat a prevailing success and I thank the
developers for allowing me to remove the half a page of code that I
used to need to support all browsers (with a fall back to mpeg2, haha)
and providing open video formats for all to use.

Some sites say that html5 video will not replace the security nightmare
of flash in many cases (still bundled and enabled by default with
Windows 10 and edge) as html5 does not have streaming support.

Considering most servers support byte range requests nowadays, should
truly native performant and trusted/audited streaming support be
considered. A built-in implementation would also mean developers could
know that users have a consistent experience and not have noscript page
reloads and other annoyances. If the site is javascriptless users also
may have greater confidence in a site behaving itself which is nice
where possible.

Personally I would and do rather waste bandwidth and trust a non
streamed browser implementation than audit and bundle javscript on an
otherwise javsacript free site.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-media-source-20140717/

MSE does not meet these desires and is not actually HTML5. I also
believe that video playing in browsers should be aiming to be as
performant as desktop video players like mplayer or atleast vlc. MSE
appears to be a step in the wrong direction in this regard or is it
simply a stepping stone into the right direction?

p.s.
After writing this a though occurred, maybe a vlc plugin is actually
better than HTML5 after all; if it could become widely used? Obviously
vlc supports too many formats and would have too many exploits but a
limited codec version perhaps, but I guess it's streaming
implementation would have a hard time to make it into servers in any
case?

Thanks,
        Kc
--

KISSIS - Keep It Simple So It's Securable

Re: HTML5 video streaming and flash

PhistucK
Perhaps this better be posted (with some concrete conceptual proposal for
an API or something) at -
https://discourse.wicg.io/

This is not really security related, as you just want another web platform
feature. The security of Flash, or lack thereof, is out of scope here.

☆*PhistucK*

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The video element has been somewhat a prevailing success and I thank the
> developers for allowing me to remove the half a page of code that I
> used to need to support all browsers (with a fall back to mpeg2, haha)
> and providing open video formats for all to use.
>
> Some sites say that html5 video will not replace the security nightmare
> of flash in many cases (still bundled and enabled by default with
> Windows 10 and edge) as html5 does not have streaming support.
>
> Considering most servers support byte range requests nowadays, should
> truly native performant and trusted/audited streaming support be
> considered. A built-in implementation would also mean developers could
> know that users have a consistent experience and not have noscript page
> reloads and other annoyances. If the site is javascriptless users also
> may have greater confidence in a site behaving itself which is nice
> where possible.
>
> Personally I would and do rather waste bandwidth and trust a non
> streamed browser implementation than audit and bundle javscript on an
> otherwise javsacript free site.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-media-source-20140717/
>
> MSE does not meet these desires and is not actually HTML5. I also
> believe that video playing in browsers should be aiming to be as
> performant as desktop video players like mplayer or atleast vlc. MSE
> appears to be a step in the wrong direction in this regard or is it
> simply a stepping stone into the right direction?
>

> p.s.
> After writing this a though occurred, maybe a vlc plugin is actually
> better than HTML5 after all; if it could become widely used? Obviously
> vlc supports too many formats and would have too many exploits but a
> limited codec version perhaps, but I guess it's streaming
> implementation would have a hard time to make it into servers in any
> case?
>
> Thanks,
>         Kc
> --
>
> KISSIS - Keep It Simple So It's Securable

Re: HTML5 video streaming and flash

Hubert Kario
On Thursday 16 June 2016 20:37:53 Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> p.s.
> After writing this a though occurred, maybe a vlc plugin is actually
> better than HTML5 after all; if it could become widely used? Obviously
> vlc supports too many formats and would have too many exploits but a
> limited codec version perhaps, but I guess it's streaming
> implementation would have a hard time to make it into servers in any
> case?

I'm not sure what you're aiming at, but Firefox already uses gstreamer
on Linux to support alternative file formats for HTML5...

Hubert Kario
Web: www.cz.redhat.com

Re: HTML5 video streaming and flash

Kevin Chadwick
> > p.s.
> > After writing this a though occurred, maybe a vlc plugin is actually
> > better than HTML5 after all; if it could become widely used? Obviously
> > vlc supports too many formats and would have too many exploits but a
> > limited codec version perhaps, but I guess it's streaming
> > implementation would have a hard time to make it into servers in any
> > case?
>
> I'm not sure what you're aiming at, but Firefox already uses gstreamer
> on Linux to support alternative file formats for HTML5...

Perfectly happy with ogg, webm, mp4(unfortunately required) and the new
one mozilla is working on. Just hoping for proper code based and
built-in streaming functionality, that's all. Anyway out of scope here
apparently so never mind.

--

KISSIS - Keep It Simple So It's Securable