HTML5 speech input API and Mozilla

Ken Saunders-4
Please tell me that Mozilla is working on this.

Google Chrome 11 hits beta with voice to text
http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2011/03/google-chrome-11-hits-beta-wit.html

Talking to your computer (with HTML!)
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/03/talking-to-your-computer-with-html5.html

For disabled users, this is an obvious plus.
For all users (especially lazy ones), this will be appealing.
Massively and widely appealing.
Perhaps due to that fact, Mozilla will step things up and this won't
be looked at as just an accessibility matter.

Other links.
Speech Input API Specification
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Feb/att-0020/api-draft.html

Incubator Activity > W3C HTML Speech Incubator Group
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/

(Mozilla is a member)

Ken

Re: HTML5 speech input API and Mozilla

David Bolter-3
Hi Ken,

Olli Pettay is our main guy in the W3C Incubator Group. I'm not sure if
he has started implementation but he's definitely got a good handle on
how speech input should work on the web. Olli, have we road-mapped this
work yet?

(We're aware of Google's implementation in this area. It is nice to see.)

David
On 24/03/11 8:17 AM, Ken Saunders wrote:

> Please tell me that Mozilla is working on this.
>
> Google Chrome 11 hits beta with voice to text
> http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2011/03/google-chrome-11-hits-beta-wit.html
>
> Talking to your computer (with HTML!)
> http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/03/talking-to-your-computer-with-html5.html
>
> For disabled users, this is an obvious plus.
> For all users (especially lazy ones), this will be appealing.
> Massively and widely appealing.
> Perhaps due to that fact, Mozilla will step things up and this won't
> be looked at as just an accessibility matter.
>
> Other links.
> Speech Input API Specification
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Feb/att-0020/api-draft.html
>
> Incubator Activity>  W3C HTML Speech Incubator Group
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/
>
> (Mozilla is a member)
>
> Ken

Re: HTML5 speech input API and Mozilla

SmauG-2
On 03/24/2011 02:17 PM, Ken Saunders wrote:

> Please tell me that Mozilla is working on this.
>
> Google Chrome 11 hits beta with voice to text
> http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2011/03/google-chrome-11-hits-beta-wit.html
>
> Talking to your computer (with HTML!)
> http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/03/talking-to-your-computer-with-html5.html
>
> For disabled users, this is an obvious plus.
> For all users (especially lazy ones), this will be appealing.
> Massively and widely appealing.
> Perhaps due to that fact, Mozilla will step things up and this won't
> be looked at as just an accessibility matter.
>
> Other links.
> Speech Input API Specification
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Feb/att-0020/api-draft.html

That is not any official specification, only a proposal from
Google. I proposed a different kind of API, and Microsoft
proposed couple of APIs (of which two are very close to what
I proposed)

I highly doubt we're going to implement Google's API,
since it is just way too difficult to use it with
multiple fields or contentEditable etc.
Other API proposals are more flexible.

I'm hoping to have a GSoC project to implement some API.

-Olli

> Incubator Activity>  W3C HTML Speech Incubator Group
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/
>
> (Mozilla is a member)
>
> Ken

Re: HTML5 speech input API and Mozilla

Steve Lee-3
On 24 March 2011 13:03, smaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 02:17 PM, Ken Saunders wrote:
>>
>> Please tell me that Mozilla is working on this.
>>
>> Google Chrome 11 hits beta with voice to text
>
> I'm hoping to have a GSoC project to implement some API.

Do let us know and I'll promote it hard.

As the work gets done server side I guess as far a Google is concerned
it just another route to access their existing tech. Would Mozilla
provide their own servers or hook into Googles or another?

Steve

On 03/24/2011 03:13 PM, Steve Lee wrote:

> On 24 March 2011 13:03, smaug<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 03/24/2011 02:17 PM, Ken Saunders wrote:
>>>
>>> Please tell me that Mozilla is working on this.
>>>
>>> Google Chrome 11 hits beta with voice to text
>>
>> I'm hoping to have a GSoC project to implement some API.
>
> Do let us know and I'll promote it hard.
>
> As the work gets done server side I guess as far a Google is concerned
> it just another route to access their existing tech. Would Mozilla
> provide their own servers or hook into Googles or another?

This is still all open question, even in the standardization.
Some people want to be able to use
remote engines, so that web page could
define which one to use. Other option is to allow
only the engines integrated somehow with the browser
(engines could be remote even in that case).