Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

PhillipJones
There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal to
give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have Quit
Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they really
wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.

I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.

I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't Blowup.
Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

John-438
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal to
> give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have Quit
> Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they really
> wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>
> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>
> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't Blowup.
> Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.

That's a bummer. I just left OE because its started to develop a memory
leak when reading News Groups, and they dont seem to be doing much about
that, because eventually they will be getting rid of OE for Windows Live
Mail. I tried WLM and it crap.

I've only just moved over to TB, its the only Mail reader I like,
there's nothing else like it.

Great, that's really good news, I dont think so.

Thanks for letting us know. Now its trying to look for another Mail
Handler which allows newsreading.

John.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

»Q«
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>
> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.

Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd still
be working on Thunderbird?

»Q« wrote:
> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>>
>> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>
> Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd still
> be working on Thunderbird?
Q are you asking a question. I don't know from the link read it sound as
if They were so po'ed, it didn't sound like they would continue r&D.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Omega X
Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
>> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>>
>> Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd still
>> be working on Thunderbird?
> Q are you asking a question. I don't know from the link read it sound as
> if They were so po'ed, it didn't sound like they would continue r&D.

It said that they would remain as module owners. I don't know about
active development.

"Phillip Jones, CET" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To: »Q« <[hidden email]>

Please don't send directly to my e-mail address unless it's something
you feel really shouldn't be in the newsgroups.  And if you do send me
e-mail, please don't use a munged reply-to address

> »Q« wrote:
> > "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> put a Stake in Thunderbird.
> >>
> >> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
> >
> > Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd
> > still be working on Thunderbird?
> Q are you asking a question.

The question mark is supposed to be an indication that a question is
being asked;  try it sometime.  ;)

> I don't know from the link read it sound as if They were so po'ed, it
> didn't sound like they would continue r&D.

I don't know where your information is coming from.  Here's how angry
MacGregor sounded when he announced he was leaving:
"I wish the Mozilla Corporation and the new Thunderbird Mail
Corporation luck in their future endeavors."
And Bienvenu:
"I’ve enjoyed working at Mozilla a lot, and I wish Mozilla Co and the
new Mail Co all the best."

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Gus Richter
»Q« wrote:

> "Phillip Jones, CET" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> To: »Q« <[hidden email]>
>
> Please don't send directly to my e-mail address unless it's something
> you feel really shouldn't be in the newsgroups.  And if you do send me
> e-mail, please don't use a munged reply-to address
>
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd
>>> still be working on Thunderbird?
>> Q are you asking a question.
>
> The question mark is supposed to be an indication that a question is
> being asked;  try it sometime.  ;)
>
>> I don't know from the link read it sound as if They were so po'ed, it
>> didn't sound like they would continue r&D.
>
> I don't know where your information is coming from.  Here's how angry
> MacGregor sounded when he announced he was leaving:
> "I wish the Mozilla Corporation and the new Thunderbird Mail
> Corporation luck in their future endeavors."
> And Bienvenu:
> "I’ve enjoyed working at Mozilla a lot, and I wish Mozilla Co and the
> new Mail Co all the best."

That's called not burning the bridges behind you (even though you might
have had a few very heated "discussion"). It also helps on the resume to
give the reason as an "amicable parting due to differences in vision, etc.".

--
Gus

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Daniel-24
John wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
>> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal
>> to give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have
>> Quit Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they
>> really wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>>
>> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>>
>> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
>> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't
>> Blowup. Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.
>

> That's a bummer. I just left OE because its started to develop a memory
> leak when reading News Groups, and they dont seem to be doing much about
> that, because eventually they will be getting rid of OE for Windows Live
> Mail. I tried WLM and it crap.
>
> I've only just moved over to TB, its the only Mail reader I like,
> there's nothing else like it.
>
> Great, that's really good news, I dont think so.
>
> Thanks for letting us know. Now its trying to look for another Mail
> Handler which allows newsreading.
>
> John.

John, if you can handle moving back to a suite (like FF and TB were when
they were Mozilla Suite) you can try SeaMonkey Suite. It's Mail section
handles my NG's!

Daniel

»Q« wrote:

> "Phillip Jones, CET" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> To: »Q« <[hidden email]>
>
> Please don't send directly to my e-mail address unless it's something
> you feel really shouldn't be in the newsgroups.  And if you do send me
> e-mail, please don't use a munged reply-to address
>
>> »Q« wrote:

>>> Even though /both/ developers who left the corporation said they'd
>>> still be working on Thunderbird?
>> Q are you asking a question.
>
> The question mark is supposed to be an indication that a question is
> being asked;  try it sometime.  ;)
>
>> I don't know from the link read it sound as if They were so po'ed, it
>> didn't sound like they would continue r&D.
>
> I don't know where your information is coming from.  Here's how angry
> MacGregor sounded when he announced he was leaving:
> "I wish the Mozilla Corporation and the new Thunderbird Mail
> Corporation luck in their future endeavors."
> And Bienvenu:
> "I’ve enjoyed working at Mozilla a lot, and I wish Mozilla Co and the
> new Mail Co all the best."
Naturally, if they want to remain module owners they are not going to
burn bridges that would be suicide.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Clay-2
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal to
> give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have Quit
> Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they really
> wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>
> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>
> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't Blowup.
> Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.

So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop working?
Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a few years (or
forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
I could'a still been using NS4.7x for all I need in a mail/newsreader.
Actually, I've been tinkering with getting 4.7 going on one of my Linux
boxes, just for nostalgia sake.

--
100% money back guarantee!
If at any time you are dissatisfied with the performance of your Mozilla

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Tom Liotta-2
clay wrote:

> So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop working?
> Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a few years (or
> forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.

I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP
protocols that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want to
get stuck with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make
useful today, the only reason most people use it is to be ready for
when the _good_ releases become available.

No?

--
Tom Liotta
<tic>

clay wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
>> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal
>> to give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have
>> Quit Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they
>> really wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>>
>> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>>
>> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
>> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't
>> Blowup. Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.
>
> So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop working?
> Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a few years (or
> forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
> I could'a still been using NS4.7x for all I need in a mail/newsreader.
> Actually, I've been tinkering with getting 4.7 going on one of my Linux
> boxes, just for nostalgia sake.

You can do that for Linux. But alas for Mac with the switch OSX
Communicator does not work except under classic. And if You use one of
the MacIntel Machines. Classic is truly dead. except if you install
sheepshaver to run classic on a MacIntel Box.

Tom Liotta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> clay wrote:
>
> > So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop
> > working? Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a
> > few years (or forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
>
> I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP
> protocols that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want to
> get stuck with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make
> useful today, the only reason most people use it is to be ready for
> when the _good_ releases become available.
>
> No?

That's not my impression.  I think people use it in its current state
because it's a relatively simple client that meets their needs.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

sean bean-2
Tom Liotta wrote:

> clay wrote:
>
>> So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop
>> working?
>> Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a few years (or
>> forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
>
> I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP protocols
> that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want to get stuck
> with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make useful today, the
> only reason most people use it is to be ready for when the _good_
> releases become available.
>
> No?

well i'm hoping you are being facetious... hard to tell sometimes eh?
who knows me thinks i get irony..

hell i could go back to netscape 4.7x in a heartbeat... using seamonkey
now...

--
... My keyboard is proprietary this e'mail may not be reverse engineered...

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

Michael Gordon
Michael at Armadilloweb.com pondered over this reply On 10/10/2007 5:37 PM

> Tom Liotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> clay wrote:
>>
>>> So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop
>>> working? Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a
>>> few years (or forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
>> I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP
>> protocols that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want to
>> get stuck with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make
>> useful today, the only reason most people use it is to be ready for
>> when the _good_ releases become available.
>>
>> No?
>
> That's not my impression.  I think people use it in its current state
> because it's a relatively simple client that meets their needs.
  For those who find TB a little lax in functionality they use SeaMonkey.

Michael

Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia <http://ilias.ca/mozilla.test.multimedia>

SeaMonkey <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/>
The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

sean bean wrote:

> Tom Liotta wrote:
>> clay wrote:
>>
>>> So, does this mean all existing Thunderbird applications will stop
>>> working?
>>> Well then, what's wrong with using the one we got for a few years (or
>>> forever) or until someone picks up the ball again.
>>
>> I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP protocols
>> that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want to get stuck
>> with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make useful today,
>> the only reason most people use it is to be ready for when the _good_
>> releases become available.
>>
>> No?
>>

> well i'm hoping you are being facetious... hard to tell sometimes eh?
> who knows me thinks i get irony..

Yeah, I shouldn't have stuck the "<tic>" after the .sig since it
gets dropped in replies. It just didn't cross my mind. But seeing
replies without it reminds me that _copies_ of what I say are more
numerous than originals.

> hell i could go back to netscape 4.7x in a heartbeat... using seamonkey
> now...

I suppose I could too. I used the netscape.net free-mail accounts
for a long time and was always irritated at the proprietary IMAP.
But that's been gone for a while now, so I wouldn't be missing a lot
by going backwards.

I have pretty simple e-mail/news needs.

--
Tom Liotta

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

»Q«
Tom Liotta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sean bean wrote:
>
> >> I dunno... with all those advancements in SMTP/POP/IMAP/NNTP
> >> protocols that are scheduled in the near future, we wouldn't want
> >> to get stuck with an obsolete client. And as hard as TB is to make
> >> useful today, the only reason most people use it is to be ready
> >> for when the _good_ releases become available.
> >>
> >> No?
> >>

> > well i'm hoping you are being facetious... hard to tell sometimes
> > eh? who knows me thinks i get irony..
>
> Yeah, I shouldn't have stuck the "<tic>" after the .sig since it
> gets dropped in replies. It just didn't cross my mind. But seeing
> replies without it reminds me that _copies_ of what I say are more
> numerous than originals.

Heh, you got me.  In my defense, there /are/ advancements in IMAP in
the pipeline.

Re: Guess everyone has heard the news by now about TB

sean.bean
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal to
> give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have Quit
> Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they really
> wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>
> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>
> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't Blowup.
> Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.

lies... lies... lies...

stop listening to the MSNm

mains stream non media....

Microsoft network media...

-=-=-
... Even if you are happy to see me, get that umbrella outta my butt!!!

sean bean wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> There is a Post on Test.Multimedia newsgroup about Thunderbird . Seems
>> the two main developers of Thunderbird, because Mozilla flat refusal
>> to give any support since there decision to spin off ThunderBird, have
>> Quit Mozilla. So It looks like Mozilla has done exactly what they
>> really wanted put a Stake in Thunderbird.
>>
>> I expect there will be no development. not even bug fixes.
>>
>> I hate the thoughts of having to use Safari and Mail and mail doesn't
>> even handle news reading. I hope the support for SeaMonkey don't
>> Blowup. Might have to buy a PC (Yuck!!!!!!) so I can use IE/OE.
>
> lies... lies... lies...
>
> stop listening to the MSNm
>
> mains stream non media....
>
> Microsoft network media...
>

> -=-=-
> ... Even if you are happy to see me, get that umbrella outta my butt!!!
>
> * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

This is an old post. They have had one update since I posted that .09
from .06.

The information I was basing my original post on was posted from
Mozilla. It was also picked from cNet and ZDnet news.