Gtkmozembed question

+ Kennedy Kok +

I am using gtkmozembed in my application running on Ubuntu. I noticed that by default the library path to gtkmozembed is not included in ld.so.conf. So my application fails as it is unable to find gtkmozembed.so. Of course, the user can set the correct information in ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But is there something I as the developer can do? Can I embed the full path of gtkmozembed in the application itself?

Kennedy

Re: Gtkmozembed question

Scott Lanning
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, + Kennedy Kok + wrote:
> I am using gtkmozembed in my application running on Ubuntu. I noticed that
> by default the library path to gtkmozembed is not included in ld.so.conf. So
> my application fails as it is unable to find gtkmozembed.so. Of course, the
> user can set the correct information in ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But
> is there something I as the developer can do? Can I embed the full path of
> gtkmozembed in the application itself?

The paths can be obtained with

   pkg-config --variable=libdir mozilla-gtkmozembed

The name 'mozilla-xpcom' varies, however, depending on
the browser and system:

   mozilla-gtkmozembed
   firefox-xpcom
   mozilla-firefox-xpcom

The first is from my (Knoppix) Debian system,
the second was reported on Gentoo, the last is from Mandriva.
I'm not sure if (mozilla-)firefox-gtkmozembed exists.
You can also use mozilla-xpcom instead of mozilla-gtkmozembed.
I'm not really sure what the use of `pkg-config` is if the
names it uses varies on different systems, however.

RE: Gtkmozembed question

+ Kennedy Kok +
I am not talking about compile time. What I am talking about is deployment.

Once my app is deployed to a user's machine, my application is not able to
locate gtkmozembed unless the user manually changes ld.so.conf or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. And I prefer that the user does not have to do that.

Kennedy

Ben Hutchings
+ Kennedy Kok + <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not talking about compile time. What I am talking about is deployment.
>
> Once my app is deployed to a user's machine, my application is not able to
> locate gtkmozembed unless the user manually changes ld.so.conf or
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. And I prefer that the user does not have to do that.

You can do this by setting the run-path for the executable.  GNU
binutils at least allows you to do this with the -rpath option.  So
you could add something like this to your Makefile:

    LDFLAGS += -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/mozilla

The appropriate directory may vary, of course.  Perhaps you can try to
extract that from the output of pkg-config.  If you are installing
private copies of the Mozilla libraries then specify the directory
where you will install them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings