Google maps

Bob

Google maps

Bob
Google seems to have changed something (or maybe its a temporary bug). I used to
get maps ok but now I get

"The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address
in a way that will never complete.

     This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies."

I'm using Firefox 24.3.0 beta.

Bob

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Fri, 1 May 2015 21:43:13 UTC, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google seems to have changed something (or maybe its a temporary bug). I used to
> get maps ok but now I get
>
> "The page isn't redirecting properly
>
> Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address
> in a way that will never complete.
>
>      This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
> cookies."
>
> I'm using Firefox 24.3.0 beta.
>
> Bob

Google changed something all right!

Although new Google maps (lite version) worked yesterday with Firefox 17.0.11esr, I'm
now getting the same error you reported.  I doubt it has anything to do with cookies.

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Sat, 2 May 2015 00:25:15 UTC, "Barbara" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2015 21:43:13 UTC, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Google seems to have changed something (or maybe its a temporary bug). I used to
> > get maps ok but now I get
> >
> > "The page isn't redirecting properly
> >
> > Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address
> > in a way that will never complete.
> >
> >      This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
> > cookies."
> >
> > I'm using Firefox 24.3.0 beta.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Google changed something all right!
>
> Although new Google maps (lite version) worked yesterday with Firefox 17.0.11esr, I'm
> now getting the same error you reported.  I doubt it has anything to do with cookies.

I found the following:

For now, the old Google Maps is still available if you use
this link: https://www.google.com/lochp  - but there's a message which says that
"this version of Google Maps is updating soon".

Probably won't work very long, but it does load the old Classic view maps.

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Dave Yeo-3
Barbara wrote:

> On Sat, 2 May 2015 00:25:15 UTC, "Barbara" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 May 2015 21:43:13 UTC, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Google seems to have changed something (or maybe its a temporary bug). I used to
>>> get maps ok but now I get
>>>
>>> "The page isn't redirecting properly
>>>
>>> Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address
>>> in a way that will never complete.
>>>
>>>       This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
>>> cookies."
>>>
>>> I'm using Firefox 24.3.0 beta.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> Google changed something all right!
>>
>> Although new Google maps (lite version) worked yesterday with Firefox 17.0.11esr, I'm
>> now getting the same error you reported.  I doubt it has anything to do with cookies.
>>

> I found the following:
>
> For now, the old Google Maps is still available if you use
> this link: https://www.google.com/lochp  - but there's a message which says that
> "this version of Google Maps is updating soon".
>
> Probably won't work very long, but it does load the old Classic view maps.

Yes, Google has decided to discontinue the old Google maps. Lots of
people unhappy.
Dave

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Sat, 2 May 2015 01:53:01 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Barbara wrote:

> >> Google changed something all right!
> >>
> >> Although new Google maps (lite version) worked yesterday with Firefox 17.0.11esr, I'm
> >> now getting the same error you reported.  I doubt it has anything to do with cookies.
> >>

> > I found the following:
> >
> > For now, the old Google Maps is still available if you use
> > this link: https://www.google.com/lochp  - but there's a message which says that
> > "this version of Google Maps is updating soon".
> >
> > Probably won't work very long, but it does load the old Classic view maps.
> >

> Yes, Google has decided to discontinue the old Google maps. Lots of
> people unhappy.
> Dave

You can say that again... the unhappy part...  I joined a couple of Google forums and
thousands have already sign a petition asking the Google CEO to back off.  They've
simply pushed map features too far and the majority of users have little interest in
all the super bells and whistles programmers come up with just because they can.
Many common use browsers are having problems.

Incidentally Mapquest still works, but the maps are infrequently updated.
Grrrrrrrrrr!

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/01/15 09:15 PM, Barbara wrote:

>> >Yes, Google has decided to discontinue the old Google maps. Lots of
>> >people unhappy.
>> >Dave
> You can say that again... the unhappy part...  I joined a couple of Google forums and
> thousands have already sign a petition asking the Google CEO to back off.  They've
> simply pushed map features too far and the majority of users have little interest in
> all the super bells and whistles programmers come up with just because they can.
> Many common use browsers are having problems.
>
> Incidentally Mapquest still works, but the maps are infrequently updated.
> Grrrrrrrrrr!

Some say that Bing maps work OK but generally I stay away from anything
from MS out of habit. Though Thunderbird now defaults to Bing and I have
tried it a few times by right clicking and choosing search. Results are
much worse then Google :)
Now Firefox defaults to Yahoo search as well
Dave

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Sat, 2 May 2015 05:09:08 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You can say that again... the unhappy part...  I joined a couple of Google forums and
> > thousands have already sign a petition asking the Google CEO to back off.  They've
> > simply pushed map features too far and the majority of users have little interest in
> > all the super bells and whistles programmers come up with just because they can.
> > Many common use browsers are having problems.
> >
> > Incidentally Mapquest still works, but the maps are infrequently updated.
> > Grrrrrrrrrr!
>
> Some say that Bing maps work OK but generally I stay away from anything
> from MS out of habit. Though Thunderbird now defaults to Bing and I have
> tried it a few times by right clicking and choosing search. Results are
> much worse then Google :)
> Now Firefox defaults to Yahoo search as well
> Dave

Well new Google Maps are working again, so somebody got the message.  Only works in
"Lite Mode" (no 3D or Earth) for many browsers, and I still don't like it as well as
Classic maps.  Weird funny colors and that very popular, almost invisible, light grey
text on white background for the search box.

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Sun, 3 May 2015 01:05:07 UTC, "Pete" <khadhargo@sbc...nospam.-.global.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 May 2015 06:49:54 UTC, "Barbara" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > > Some say that Bing maps work OK but generally I stay away from anything
> > > from MS out of habit. Though Thunderbird now defaults to Bing and I have
> > > tried it a few times by right clicking and choosing search. Results are
> > > much worse then Google :)
> > > Now Firefox defaults to Yahoo search as well
> > > Dave
> >
> > Well new Google Maps are working again, so somebody got the message.  Only works in
> > "Lite Mode" (no 3D or Earth) for many browsers, and I still don't like it as well as
> > Classic maps.  Weird funny colors and that very popular, almost invisible, light grey
> > text on white background for the search box.
>
> Google's version of "New Coca Cola". Pretty bad if you ask me.
>
> HTH,
> Pete

New "Lite Mode" is no more useful than a paper map.  No dragable routes. No mileage
scale, No GPS coordinates.  I may sound like a fanatic, but I use online maps a lot
for my travel activities relating to RV club membership.

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Cameron Kaiser-2
On 5/1/15 10:09 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Some say that Bing maps work OK but generally I stay away from anything
> from MS out of habit. Though Thunderbird now defaults to Bing and I have
> tried it a few times by right clicking and choosing search. Results are
> much worse then Google :)
> Now Firefox defaults to Yahoo search as well
> Dave

The Bing maps are actually pretty quick. While TenFourFox will handle
the new Google Maps (slowly), Bing has pretty much replaced them for me.
Prior to this I was definitely in the same boat as you. I think most
folks here will find them much more responsive on OS/2.

Cameron Kaiser

Re: Google maps

Peter Brown
Hi Cameron

Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> On 5/1/15 10:09 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> Some say that Bing maps work OK but generally I stay away from anything
>> from MS out of habit. Though Thunderbird now defaults to Bing and I have
>> tried it a few times by right clicking and choosing search. Results are
>> much worse then Google :)
>> Now Firefox defaults to Yahoo search as well
>> Dave
>
> The Bing maps are actually pretty quick. While TenFourFox will handle
> the new Google Maps (slowly), Bing has pretty much replaced them for me.
> Prior to this I was definitely in the same boat as you. I think most
> folks here will find them much more responsive on OS/2.
>
> Cameron Kaiser

I find bing maps OK for basic maps but "Streetside" requires Silverlight
- and M$ will not be making an OS/2 version  :-)

Regards

Pete

Re: Google maps

Dave Saville-7
On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:02:19 UTC, "Barbara"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>
> New "Lite Mode" is no more useful than a paper map.  No dragable routes. No mileage
> scale, No GPS coordinates.  I may sound like a fanatic, but I use online maps a lot
> for my travel activities relating to RV club membership.

Anyone know any other map app to use to get Lat & Long?

TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Re: Google maps

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/10/15 01:47 AM, Dave Saville wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:02:19 UTC, "Barbara"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>> New "Lite Mode" is no more useful than a paper map.  No dragable routes. No mileage
>> scale, No GPS coordinates.  I may sound like a fanatic, but I use online maps a lot
>> for my travel activities relating to RV club membership.
>>

> Anyone know any other map app to use to get Lat & Long?
>
> TIA

Searching for my address with Bing maps gives my Lat & Long to 6 decimal
places and just like Google maps thinks i live at the neighbours :)
Dave

Re: Google maps

Dave Saville-7
On Sun, 10 May 2015 17:34:44 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 05/10/15 01:47 AM, Dave Saville wrote:

> > Anyone know any other map app to use to get Lat & Long?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Searching for my address with Bing maps gives my Lat & Long to 6 decimal
> places and just like Google maps thinks i live at the neighbours :)
> Dave

Thanks Dave. I have subsequentially found out that OpenStreet map can
do it as well. Maybe UK only though.
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Mon, 11 May 2015 08:35:47 UTC, "Dave Saville" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 May 2015 17:34:44 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 05/10/15 01:47 AM, Dave Saville wrote:
>
> > > Anyone know any other map app to use to get Lat & Long?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Searching for my address with Bing maps gives my Lat & Long to 6 decimal
> > places and just like Google maps thinks i live at the neighbours :)
> > Dave
>
> Thanks Dave. I have subsequentially found out that OpenStreet map can
> do it as well. Maybe UK only though.

Here's another one that I rather like:  maps.telenav.com

Right click a map location, select advanced, then Get Lat/Lon

--
Barbara

Re: Google maps

Dave Parsons
On 10-05-15 10:47, Dave Saville wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:02:19 UTC, "Barbara"
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

> <snip>
>> New "Lite Mode" is no more useful than a paper map.  No dragable routes. No mileage
>> scale, No GPS coordinates.  I may sound like a fanatic, but I use online maps a lot
>> for my travel activities relating to RV club membership.
>>

> Anyone know any other map app to use to get Lat&  Long?
>
> TIA

In case you haven't found it yet, take a look at  http://gokml.net/maps

So far the only thing I miss is printing and that is already on his todo list.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: Google maps

Barbara-46
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 07:56:36 UTC, Dave Parsons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://gokml.net/maps

That looks really promising.  I'd also like to see feet/miles on the scale bar.

--
Barbara