Google News Groups, A Maze

W. eWatson-2
As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my way
through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I want;
however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical" Usenet NG access
by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the Google arrangement? Can I
build some sort of personal tree that avoids the difficulty of working my
through a maze to get to a specific group?

Re: Google News Groups, A Maze

The Real Bev
W. eWatson wrote:

> As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my way
> through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I want;
> however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical" Usenet NG access
> by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the Google arrangement? Can I
> build some sort of personal tree that avoids the difficulty of working my
> through a maze to get to a specific group?

Bookmarks?  I can't see why anybody would want to unless they have only web
access such as at a library.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Google News Groups, A Maze

W. eWatson-2
The Real Bev wrote:

> W. eWatson wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my
>> way through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I
>> want; however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical"
>> Usenet NG access by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the
>> Google arrangement? Can I build some sort of personal tree that avoids
>> the difficulty of working my through a maze to get to a specific group?
>
> Bookmarks?  I can't see why anybody would want to unless they have only
> web access such as at a library.

Bmrks. I suppose. Sort of ugly though. Another thing against them, I think,
is that the sent message doesn't end up my Sent box. I like to have a record
of what I sent.

Re: Google News Groups, A Maze

The Real Bev
W. eWatson wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> W. eWatson wrote:
>>
>>> As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my
>>> way through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I
>>> want; however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical"
>>> Usenet NG access by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the
>>> Google arrangement? Can I build some sort of personal tree that avoids
>>> the difficulty of working my through a maze to get to a specific group?
>>
>> Bookmarks?  I can't see why anybody would want to unless they have only
>> web access such as at a library.
>>
> Bmrks. I suppose. Sort of ugly though. Another thing against them, I think,
> is that the sent message doesn't end up my Sent box. I like to have a record
> of what I sent.

GM never throws anything away unless you force it, and even then it tries to
hide it.  No idea if they keep a copy secretly...

If you go to the website to read/write mail you'll have a copy of everything
you send/receive.  Wait, I don't know if it saves a copy of your posts or not.
   I suppose you could cc yourself...

I must be misunderstanding something :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Google News Groups, A Maze

David McRitchie-2
"W. eWatson" ...
> As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my way
> through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I want;
> however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical" Usenet NG access
> by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the Google arrangement? Can I
> build some sort of personal tree that avoids the difficulty of working my
> through a maze to get to a specific group?

It is not clear if  your are rejecting direct newsgroup access because you are restricted
from them and only  have web access by your employer.    I would avoid web based
reading of newsgroups.   I don't  like that my newsreader is no longer saving what
I post, but  if it doesn't disappear,  I can  search on my name and see all of my
postings then select the posting and then back to  unrestricted view and see
the entire thread.

Chris Ilias' Blog -- Instructions for new newsgroup server
 [-- http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instructions-for-new-newsgroup-server/ --],
how to subscribe directly to newsgroups on the new Mozilla server.

You never want to subscribe to a newsgroup through a list server (as a mailing list)
as that may dump hundreds in some  cases thousands of postings into your email daily

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,   extensions I use are briefly documented on my site

Re: Google News Groups, A Maze

David McRitchie-2
"David McRitchie" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> "W. eWatson" ...
>> As I understand it, Google matches all Usenet NGs. I'm able to work my way
>> through their forest of trees in a few minutes to get to a "NG" I want;
>> however, it's a heck of a lot simpler to have the "typical" Usenet NG access
>> by my e-mail reader. Did I miss something with the Google arrangement? Can I
>> build some sort of personal tree that avoids the difficulty of working my
>> through a maze to get to a specific group?
>
> It is not clear if  your are rejecting direct newsgroup access because you are restricted
> from them and only  have web access by your employer.    I would avoid web based
> reading of newsgroups.   I don't  like that my newsreader is no longer saving what
> I post, but  if it doesn't disappear,  I can  search on my name and see all of my
> postings then select the posting and then back to  unrestricted view and see
> the entire thread.
>
> Chris Ilias' Blog -- Instructions for new newsgroup server
> [-- http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instructions-for-new-newsgroup-server/ --],
> how to subscribe directly to newsgroups on the new Mozilla server.
>
> You never want to subscribe to a newsgroup through a list server (as a mailing list)
> as that may dump hundreds in some  cases thousands of postings into your email daily

I see now why you asked,   you have another thread "SBC Global Newsgroups Vanish"
so you can access newsgroups as newsgroups.  Surprised that  you could use them
as I would think you would be able to read, but  Mozilla would prevent them from
being propagated to it's servers so a question you might post there would not be seen
here and would only be accessed by those on that server  or by those using Google,
anyway it's history.   So the link I provided has the information for connecting
directly to the Mozilla servers, which is what you should be doing.

BTW,    connecting to Mozilla newsgroups directly through Mozilla,   or to  Microsoft
newsgroups directly through  Microsoft  is free and still should be the fastest .