Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
REF:
https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/

[excerpt quote=\"
Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
is better.
\" /]

Fairly damning of Google.

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Daniel-2
Sailfish wrote on 22/06/2019 11:21 AM:

> REF:
> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
> is better.
> \" /]
>
> Fairly damning of Google.

Well Google have got to know what you're looking at ... so they know
what ads to feed you!!

I doubt Google would be worried about this story.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418
or
SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 6/22/2019
2:47 AM:

> Sailfish wrote on 22/06/2019 11:21 AM:
>> REF:
>> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
>> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why
>> Firefox is better.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Fairly damning of Google.
>>
> Well Google have got to know what you're looking at ... so they know
> what ads to feed you!!
>
> I doubt Google would be worried about this story.

Perhaps but right now they are in the cross hairs of a couple of US
government agencies for their privacy invasions so any article like this
  can't be wholly ignored.

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
6/22/2019 8:41 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 6/22/2019
> 2:47 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote on 22/06/2019 11:21 AM:
>>> REF:
>>> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
>>> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why
>>> Firefox is better.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Fairly damning of Google.
>>>
>> Well Google have got to know what you're looking at ... so they know
>> what ads to feed you!!
>>
>> I doubt Google would be worried about this story.
>>
> Perhaps but right now they are in the cross hairs of a couple of US
> government agencies for their privacy invasions so any article like this
>  can't be wholly ignored.

REF:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-switch/

[excerpt quote=\"
Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
is better.
\" /]
2nd hit piece piece in two days, this time from Bezos' news company.
Seems like the long knives are out for Google.

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> REF:
> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why
> Firefox is better.
> \" /]
>
> Fairly damning of Google.

I smell Mozilla's PR department at work, whispering about privacy to
tech journalists, and I expect more of these articles.  I hope they
might do some good, but IME people are only vaguely concerned about
surveillance and won't actually try to do much about it.

You might be interested in a couple of interviews Harry Shearer has
done lately:

Yasha Levine, author of
_Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet_
<https://harryshearer.com/april-28-2019/>

Shoshana Zuboff, author of _The Age of Surveillance Capitalism_
<https://harryshearer.com/june-02-2019/>

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Don Spam's Reckless Son
Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
> is better.
> \" /]
>
> Fairly damning of Google.

I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.
Back when Google first released Chrome, one of the reasons not to
install it was that it could be assumed to be reporting certain data
back to the mother-ship.  Anyone who used it was going to have to hold
their noses to avoid that stink.
What has changed?

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 22/06/2019 21:14, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.

Hey Reckless,

I know why.  The OP has started trolling again so he decided to post his
crap here.

--
With over 999 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Don Spam's Reckless Son <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
> > REF:
> > https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
> >

> > [excerpt quote=\"
> > Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
> > tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why
> > Firefox is better.
> > \" /]
> >
> > Fairly damning of Google.
>
> I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.
> Back when Google first released Chrome, one of the reasons not to
> install it was that it could be assumed to be reporting certain data
> back to the mother-ship.  Anyone who used it was going to have to
> hold their noses to avoid that stink.
> What has changed?

The main thing that's changed is that Mozilla have at long last decided
to roll out half-decent anti-tracking features to the masses.  (A lot
of it has been in Firefox a while, but not turned on by default and/or
not even discoverable in the GUI.)  That's why I smell Mozilla behind
these articles about browsers and privacy.

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Hartdonor
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 09:09:45 -0700, in mozilla.general, Sailfish wrote:

>My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
>6/22/2019 8:41 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 6/22/2019
>> 2:47 AM:

>>> Well Google have got to know what you're looking at ... so they know
>>> what ads to feed you!!
>>>
>>> I doubt Google would be worried about this story.
>>>
>> Perhaps but right now they are in the cross hairs of a couple of US
>> government agencies for their privacy invasions so any article like this
>>  can't be wholly ignored.
>>
>REF:
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-switch/
>
>[excerpt quote=\"
>Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
>tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
>is better.
>\" /]
>2nd hit piece piece in two days, this time from Bezos' news company.
>Seems like the long knives are out for Google.

Yup. And they're talking about cookies, not scripts. Cookies? What is
this? 1992? Holy crap if you're worried about cookies don't use *any*
browser.

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what ? Good Guy ? graced us with on
6/22/2019 1:58 PM:

> On 22/06/2019 21:14, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.
>
> Hey Reckless,
>
> I know why.  The OP has started trolling again so he decided to post his
> crap here.

It's amusing to read from a master troll complaining about someone
cutting into what he believes is his territory :_)

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Hartdonor graced us with on
6/22/2019 4:23 PM:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 09:09:45 -0700, in mozilla.general, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
>> 6/22/2019 8:41 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 6/22/2019
>>> 2:47 AM:

>>> Perhaps but right now they are in the cross hairs of a couple of US
>>> government agencies for their privacy invasions so any article like this
>>>  can't be wholly ignored.
>>>
>> REF:
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-switch/
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
>> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox
>> is better.
>> \" /]
>> 2nd hit piece piece in two days, this time from Bezos' news company.
>> Seems like the long knives are out for Google.
>
> Yup. And they're talking about cookies, not scripts. Cookies? What is
> this? 1992? Holy crap if you're worried about cookies don't use *any*
> browser.

Or, use a browser that offers an intrinsic way to automate clearing them
out every session, i.e., Fx.

btw, use of cookies by nefarious web sites is a lot more sophisticated
today than in the past and allows them to target a person and their
browsing interests with a high degree of accuracy.

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 6/22/2019
10:08 AM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-to-switch/
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000
>> tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why
>> Firefox is better.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Fairly damning of Google.
>
> I smell Mozilla's PR department at work, whispering about privacy to
> tech journalists, and I expect more of these articles.  I hope they
> might do some good, but IME people are only vaguely concerned about
> surveillance and won't actually try to do much about it.
>
> You might be interested in a couple of interviews Harry Shearer has
> done lately:
>
> Yasha Levine, author of
> _Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet_
> <https://harryshearer.com/april-28-2019/>
>
> Shoshana Zuboff, author of _The Age of Surveillance Capitalism_
> <https://harryshearer.com/june-02-2019/>

+1

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

EnDeeGee-2
On 2019-06-22 7:28 p.m., Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what ? Good Guy ? graced us with on
> 6/22/2019 1:58 PM:
>>
>> On 22/06/2019 21:14, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.
>>
>> Hey Reckless,
>>
>> I know why.  The OP has started trolling again so he decided to post
>> his crap here.
>>
> It's amusing to read from a master troll complaining about someone
> cutting into what he believes is his territory :_)

+1 on that. :-)

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

»Q«
In <news:-[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what ? Good Guy ? graced us with on
> 6/22/2019 1:58 PM:
> >
> > On 22/06/2019 21:14, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue.
> >
> > Hey Reckless,
> >
> > I know why.  The OP has started trolling again so he decided to
> > post his crap here.
>
> It's amusing to read from a master troll complaining about someone
> cutting into what he believes is his territory :_)

I object to you calling it a master troll.  It's the worst troll around
these parts, for sure, but it's pretty lame as trolls go in general.

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 6/22/2019
6:45 PM:

> In <news:-[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what ? Good Guy ? graced us with on
>>> Hey Reckless,
>>>
>>> I know why.  The OP has started trolling again so he decided to
>>> post his crap here.
>>
>> It's amusing to read from a master troll complaining about someone
>> cutting into what he believes is his territory :_)
>
> I object to you calling it a master troll.  It's the worst troll around
> these parts, for sure, but it's pretty lame as trolls go in general.

Objection noted, downgraded to apprentice troll in training :-D

--
Sailfish

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

PietB-2
Sailfish wrote:
> It's amusing to read from a master troll complaining about someone
> cutting into what he believes is his territory :_)

It's even more amusing to see presumably capable people apparently
incapable of setting up a killfile to ignore that master troll and
stubbornly continuing to quote that master troll.

-p

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

s|b-2
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:23:57 -0500, Hartdonor wrote:

> Yup. And they're talking about cookies, not scripts. Cookies? What is
> this? 1992? Holy crap if you're worried about cookies don't use *any*
> browser.

What about 3rd party cookies?

--
s|b

Hartdonor wrote:
> And they're talking about cookies, not scripts. Cookies? What is
> this? 1992?

Nope: the everyday reality of 2019 and many years to go.

> Holy crap if you're worried about cookies don't use *any* browser.

Sure. Use pen & paper, and a Stanley steam car to go shopping,
including buying cookies.

-p

Re: Google Chrome has become surveillance software.

WaltS48-9
On 6/23/19 5:05 AM, s|b wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:23:57 -0500, Hartdonor wrote:
>
>> Yup. And they're talking about cookies, not scripts. Cookies? What is
>> this? 1992? Holy crap if you're worried about cookies don't use *any*
>> browser.
>
> What about 3rd party cookies?

Fingerprinters and cryptominers?

"Starting with Firefox version 67, you can block harmful scripts
including cryptominers and fingerprinters."

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/content-blocking>

Also third-party trackers or cookies.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

On 23/06/2019 05:34, Sailfish wrote:

> Objection noted, downgraded to apprentice troll in training :-D
>

> You are so clueless that if you dressed in a clue skin, doused yourself in
> clue musk, and did the clue dance in the middle of a field of horny clues
> at the height of clue mating season, you still would not have a clue.
(c) Daniel Cool

This level of stupidity is rarely seen.   Just kill yourself, you
retarded fucking moron.

--
With over 999 million devices now running Windows 10, customer