Gmail rant

The Real Bev
I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
never heard of.  I'd really like to wipe those two assholes off the face
of the earth (there are a lot more who use my address through
malevolence or stupidity, but these are OFFICIAL) but there seems to be
nothing I can do to eliminate them besides cancel my main account, which
I am not about to do because I have so many picasa albums posted with it.

I HATE THIS!

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Gmail rant

Jay Garcia
On 15.05.2012 23:20, The Real Bev wrote:

> I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
> associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
> never heard of.  I'd really like to wipe those two assholes off the face
> of the earth (there are a lot more who use my address through
> malevolence or stupidity, but these are OFFICIAL) but there seems to be
> nothing I can do to eliminate them besides cancel my main account, which
> I am not about to do because I have so many picasa albums posted with it.
>
> I HATE THIS!

You 100% sure it comes from "Google"?? There is a proliferation of
malicious emails wanting your login information and lookalike sites that
get you do just that.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Gmail rant

Ron Hunter
On 5/16/2012 6:02 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 15.05.2012 23:20, The Real Bev wrote:

Yes, and I don't understand why people don't CHECK to see where the
message came from.  Often I get messages purporting to be from my
service provider (cable), and when I check, they are from individual
persons, or from addresses in other countries.  I happen to know where
Charter's offices are, and I am quite sure none are in eastern Europe.

Re: Gmail rant

Percy Pipes
"The Real Bev" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

>I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
>associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've never
>heard of.  I'd really like to wipe those two assholes off the face of the
>earth (there are a lot more who use my address through malevolence or
>stupidity, but these are OFFICIAL) but there seems to be nothing I can do
>to eliminate them besides cancel my main account, which I am not about to
>do because I have so many picasa albums posted with it.
>
> I HATE THIS!
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> *----------------------------------------------------*
> *Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*

I doubt it was from google. I've got 20 gmail accounts and have received
nothing similar.

What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number everytime I
login and threatening to lock me out with "new security measures coming...".
They'll never get my telephone number, so it's best to look around for a
different email service, IMO. Gmail is getting less and less friendly.

[percypipes]

Re: Gmail rant

Was Greywolf
On 16/05/2012 9:25 AM, Percy Pipes wrote:
[...]
> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number everytime I
> login and threatening to lock me out with "new security measures coming...".
> They'll never get my telephone number, so it's best to look around for a
> different email service, IMO. Gmail is getting less and less friendly.

This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
number for?

I suspect malware. Make sure your current shields are up to date, d/l a
couple or three additional anti-malware/anti-virus scanners, disconnect
form the Internet, and run the scans one at a time. Some people think
disconnecting is paranoid, ok, maybe it is, but a little paranoia is a
sensible precaution these days.

Good luck,
Wolf K.

Re: Gmail rant

Mike Easter-2
The Real Bev wrote:
> I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
> associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
> never heard of.

I don't understand what this means/says.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Gmail rant

Mike Easter-2
Greywolf wrote:
> Percy Pipes wrote:

>> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number
>> everytime I login and threatening to lock me out with "new security
>> measures coming...". They'll never get my telephone number, so it's
>> best to look around for a different email service, IMO. Gmail is
>> getting less and less friendly.
>
> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
> number for?

Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.

You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
certainly seems to have done),

So, if you don't have a cellno on record as part of your security setup,
you are frequently alerted to provide one.  Also, when gmail started, it
was made available to cellphone users first.

https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114129&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-l396vsvcxw5t&cbrank=3
  Verifying your account via SMS or Voice Call

The other reason gmail wants you to have a cellno (or other secondary
contact information) on record is that gmail is 'prone' to lockdown your
access to your gmail if it autodetects what it considers unusual or
abnormal activity, such as Tb's 'defect' about not being able to login
properly.

When the gmail pop/imap account becomes locked, you can't access your
gmail with a client, you need to go to the webmail system and use
user/pass and solve a captcha.  That process often causes people to go
into the 'lost password' system, which is different.

The lost password initiation causes gmail to send a temporary password
by texting to your cell.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Gmail rant

Was Greywolf
On 16/05/2012 9:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Greywolf wrote:
[...]
>> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
>> number for?
>
> Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.

[Etc]

Thanks, you can tell I don't use gmail.

Wolf K.

Re: Gmail rant

clay-14
On 05/16/2012 6:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Greywolf wrote:
>> Percy Pipes wrote:
>
>>> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number
>>> everytime I login and threatening to lock me out with "new security
>>> measures coming...". They'll never get my telephone number, so it's
>>> best to look around for a different email service, IMO. Gmail is
>>> getting less and less friendly.
>>
>> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
>> number for?
>
> Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.
>
> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
> certainly seems to have done),...

More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
number to spammers.
Forget about the do not call list. Cell spammers ignore it.
Cell service providers sell the numbers to spammers too. It adds to
their bottom line as minutes get used by these robodialers calling and
leaving messages. Sure, may not affect unlimited plans but there are
still plenty of metered accounts out there.
I have more than 60 numbers in my cellphone book of known spammers...

Re: Gmail rant

Mike Easter-2
clay wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
>> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
>> certainly seems to have done),...
>
> More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
> number to spammers.

That would not surprise me because the direct marketing world is full of
all kinds, just like doctors and lawyers, from saint to sinner.

More likely the process is structured more benignly than: "Hello,
Google; I am a cell spammer, would you please sell me a list of all of
the google voice and security cellno/s you have?"

More likely google has relationships with advertisers which direct
marketing advertisers like various 'targeted lists'.  The advertiser who
buys some list from google has to contract to not spam it by email or
cell and like any good 'direct marketing' advertiser, they come in all
shades of gray, from very white or ivory to the darkest shades of black.

White hat direct marketers play by the rules of not sending anything
unsolicited that you have to opt out of and not getting their lists
'mixed up' -- "Oh, you/we don't actually have an existing business
relationship (with me/us?)  According to my records, you/we do.  Sorry
about that."

On 5/16/2012 8:25 AM, Percy Pipes wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
>> associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've never
>> heard of.  I'd really like to wipe those two assholes off the face of the
>> earth (there are a lot more who use my address through malevolence or
>> stupidity, but these are OFFICIAL) but there seems to be nothing I can do
>> to eliminate them besides cancel my main account, which I am not about to
>> do because I have so many picasa albums posted with it.
>>
>> I HATE THIS!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Bev
>> *----------------------------------------------------*
>> *Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*
>
> I doubt it was from google. I've got 20 gmail accounts and have received
> nothing similar.
>
> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number everytime I
> login and threatening to lock me out with "new security measures coming...".
> They'll never get my telephone number, so it's best to look around for a
> different email service, IMO. Gmail is getting less and less friendly.
>
> [percypipes]

I just logged onto GMail, and it didn't ask me for a phone number.  Make
sure your DNS hasn't been hacked....

Re: Gmail rant

Ron Hunter
On 5/16/2012 8:37 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 16/05/2012 9:25 AM, Percy Pipes wrote:
> [...]
>> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number
>> everytime I
>> login and threatening to lock me out with "new security measures
>> coming...".
>> They'll never get my telephone number, so it's best to look around for a
>> different email service, IMO. Gmail is getting less and less friendly.
>
> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
> number for?
>
> I suspect malware. Make sure your current shields are up to date, d/l a
> couple or three additional anti-malware/anti-virus scanners, disconnect
> form the Internet, and run the scans one at a time. Some people think
> disconnecting is paranoid, ok, maybe it is, but a little paranoia is a
> sensible precaution these days.
>
> Good luck,
> Wolf K.

Are you still paranoid if someone really IS out to get you?  Grin.

Re: Gmail rant

Ron Hunter
On 5/16/2012 8:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Greywolf wrote:
>> Percy Pipes wrote:
>
>>> What has me worried is they are nagging for my telephone number
>>> everytime I login and threatening to lock me out with "new security
>>> measures coming...". They'll never get my telephone number, so it's
>>> best to look around for a different email service, IMO. Gmail is
>>> getting less and less friendly.
>>
>> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
>> number for?
>
> Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.
>
> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
> certainly seems to have done),
>
> So, if you don't have a cellno on record as part of your security setup,
> you are frequently alerted to provide one.  Also, when gmail started, it
> was made available to cellphone users first.
>
> https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114129&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-l396vsvcxw5t&cbrank=3
>   Verifying your account via SMS or Voice Call
>
> The other reason gmail wants you to have a cellno (or other secondary
> contact information) on record is that gmail is 'prone' to lockdown your
> access to your gmail if it autodetects what it considers unusual or
> abnormal activity, such as Tb's 'defect' about not being able to login
> properly.
>
> When the gmail pop/imap account becomes locked, you can't access your
> gmail with a client, you need to go to the webmail system and use
> user/pass and solve a captcha.  That process often causes people to go
> into the 'lost password' system, which is different.
>
> The lost password initiation causes gmail to send a temporary password
> by texting to your cell.

I am quite sure they have my cell phone number, given that I have Gmail
on my cell phone.  What's so secret about a phone number?  These days
even a SSN isn't very secret as you have to give it to just about
everyone you do any kind of business with.

Re: Gmail rant

Ron Hunter
On 5/16/2012 10:30 AM, clay wrote:

> On 05/16/2012 6:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Greywolf wrote:

>>> This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
>>> number for?
>>
>> Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.
>>
>> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
>> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
>> certainly seems to have done),...
>
> More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
> number to spammers.
> Forget about the do not call list. Cell spammers ignore it.
> Cell service providers sell the numbers to spammers too. It adds to
> their bottom line as minutes get used by these robodialers calling and
> leaving messages. Sure, may not affect unlimited plans but there are
> still plenty of metered accounts out there.
> I have more than 60 numbers in my cellphone book of known spammers...
I don't get much cell phone spam, fortunately, but I WISH they would
make the spammers pay the charges when they call a cell phone.  Making
ME pay for the calls is nothing but robbery.

Re: Gmail rant

goodwin-8
On 05/16/2012 06:39 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
>> associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
>> never heard of.
>
> I don't understand what this means/says.

nor did I.

Bev?

Re: Gmail rant

Ron Hunter
On 5/16/2012 12:02 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> clay wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
>>> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
>>> certainly seems to have done),...
>>
>> More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
>> number to spammers.
>
> That would not surprise me because the direct marketing world is full of
> all kinds, just like doctors and lawyers, from saint to sinner.
>
> More likely the process is structured more benignly than: "Hello,
> Google; I am a cell spammer, would you please sell me a list of all of
> the google voice and security cellno/s you have?"
>
> More likely google has relationships with advertisers which direct
> marketing advertisers like various 'targeted lists'.  The advertiser who
> buys some list from google has to contract to not spam it by email or
> cell and like any good 'direct marketing' advertiser, they come in all
> shades of gray, from very white or ivory to the darkest shades of black.
>
> White hat direct marketers play by the rules of not sending anything
> unsolicited that you have to opt out of and not getting their lists
> 'mixed up' -- "Oh, you/we don't actually have an existing business
> relationship (with me/us?)  According to my records, you/we do.  Sorry
> about that."

Gee, Mike, I wish I lived in your world.  I am on do not call lists, and
on a don't solicit for credit accounts list, and I still get at least
one pre-approved credit offer each day.  Obviously these things just
don't work.
The trouble with the 'business relationship' thing is that if you trace
through who owns what, it's amazing how many places can claim a
'business relationship', so this rule means almost nothing.

On 05/16/2012 04:02 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 15.05.2012 23:20, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>  I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
>>  associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
>>  never heard of.  I'd really like to wipe those two assholes off the face
>>  of the earth (there are a lot more who use my address through
>>  malevolence or stupidity, but these are OFFICIAL) but there seems to be
>>  nothing I can do to eliminate them besides cancel my main account, which
>>  I am not about to do because I have so many picasa albums posted with it.
>>
>>  I HATE THIS!
>
> You 100% sure it comes from "Google"?? There is a proliferation of
> malicious emails wanting your login information and lookalike sites that
> get you do just that.

Yeah, but I can read headers :-)

I should have chosen a less obvious/common gmail address;  If you use
the standard initial+last [hidden email], give your name a number,
preferably a difficult one :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Gmail rant

The Real Bev
On 05/16/2012 08:30 AM, clay wrote:

> On 05/16/2012 6:52 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
>>  Greywolf wrote:

>>>  This immediately makes me suspicious. What would Google want your phone
>>>  number for?
>>
>>  Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.
>>
>>  You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
>>  phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
>>  certainly seems to have done),...
>
> More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
> number to spammers.
> Forget about the do not call list. Cell spammers ignore it.

ALL telemarketers ignore it.  We get at least a dozen calls a day.  If I
don't recognize the voice I tell them we're on the donotcalllist and
they should never call us again and slam the phone down. When it's the
doctor's receptionist I apologize when she calls back :-(

> Cell service providers sell the numbers to spammers too. It adds to
> their bottom line as minutes get used by these robodialers calling and
> leaving messages. Sure, may not affect unlimited plans but there are
> still plenty of metered accounts out there.
> I have more than 60 numbers in my cellphone book of known spammers...

I never give out my cell number to anyone except my friends.  I only
turn it on when I expect to actually need it, which is less often than
once a month.  T-Mobile $10/year prepaid is your friend!

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Gmail rant

The Real Bev
On 05/16/2012 12:48 PM, goodwin wrote:

> On 05/16/2012 06:39 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
>>  The Real Bev wrote:
>>>  I just got email from google informing me that my main account is
>>>  associated with 6 other accounts, two of which belong to people I've
>>>  never heard of.
>>
>>  I don't understand what this means/says.
>>
> nor did I.
>
> Bev?

Gmail wants a secondary email address in case something goes wrong with
your primary address.  I use my address as the secondary address for two
other accounts that belong to me and two accounts for people I've set up
gmail accounts for who aren't competent to deal with any problems that
might arise.  These accounts showed up on the list, along with the
accounts of two people I've never heard of.

A lot of people use that address (Bryan Ashley, Brian Ashley, Ben
Ashley, etc.) even though they're obviously not entitled to.  They get
what looks like real mail from people ("Here's a picture of Sparky,
isn't she cute?" etc.), reminders to bring their car in to the dealer
for a quarterly inspection, etc.  I got an acknowledgment for the
purchase of ammo from a gun shop in Georgia once.  Just a mess of
annoying stuff.

The only thing I can think of is to ask the two account-holders to
remove MY account from their lists of alternate numbers, but I figure
that just opens me up to receiving more crap -- especially if I call
them stupid cows like I really want to.  But that's only two assholes
out of hundreds :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Gmail rant

RAV-2
On 5/16/2012 6:08 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 05/16/2012 08:30 AM, clay wrote:

>>> Google uses a security system for the gmail lost password system.
>>>
>>> You can choose a secondary email but they seem to 'prefer' a mobile
>>> phone number, as if the world has become totally cellphones (which it
>>> certainly seems to have done),...
>>
>> More likely, google will use the cell number to spam, or sell the cell
>> number to spammers.
>> Forget about the do not call list. Cell spammers ignore it.
>
> ALL telemarketers ignore it. We get at least a dozen calls a day. If I
> don't recognize the voice I tell them we're on the donotcalllist and
> they should never call us again and slam the phone down. When it's the
> doctor's receptionist I apologize when she calls back :-(
>
>> Cell service providers sell the numbers to spammers too. It adds to
>> their bottom line as minutes get used by these robodialers calling and
>> leaving messages. Sure, may not affect unlimited plans but there are
>> still plenty of metered accounts out there.
>> I have more than 60 numbers in my cellphone book of known spammers...
>
> I never give out my cell number to anyone except my friends. I only turn
> it on when I expect to actually need it, which is less often than once a
> month. T-Mobile $10/year prepaid is your friend!

$10/year?  Was that a mis-type?  I would LOVE such a plan, but the $10
plan I see at T-mobile ("pay as you go pricing" at
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans) gives 30 minutes
but they only last 90 days.  The 1 year duration plan costs $100.  Are
you under some sort of plan that's no longer offered to new subscribers?