Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global message
filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups rather
than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I want to
create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies to me)
and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to have to redo
it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM

Re: Global news rules?

gwtc
Matt Ion wrote:

> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global message
> filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups rather
> than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I want to
> create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies to me)
> and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to have to redo
> it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM

First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.

Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't do
it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the
first set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate
the mail section within your profile.  Now locate the file
msgFilterRules.dat within that account and copy it to all the other
accounts.

To locate your profile see this:
http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#locations.  But you profile is
hidden, so you have to unhide window files.  To do that see this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/tips/personalize/hiddenfiles.asp

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
gwtc wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups
>> rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I
>> want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies
>> to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to
>> have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
>> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM
>>

> First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.
>
> Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't do
> it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the first
> set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate the mail
> section within your profile.  Now locate the file msgFilterRules.dat
> within that account and copy it to all the other accounts.

Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is a
folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each group
within that (and an .htm file for one group).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
Tested on: 10/19/2005 7:28:53 AM

Re: Global news rules?

Percival P. Cassidy
On 10/19/05 10:29 am Matt Ion tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed
>>> groups rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a
>>> time?  I want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones
>>> with replies to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's
>>> a pain to have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new
>>> groups.

>> First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.
>>
>> Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't do
>> it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the
>> first set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate
>> the mail section within your profile.  Now locate the file
>> msgFilterRules.dat within that account and copy it to all the other
>> accounts.

> Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is a
> folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each group
> within that (and an .htm file for one group).

I think that every newsgroup to which you have subscribed using Mozilla
has an associated do-nothing 27-byte .dat file. Create an appropriate
filter for one newsgroup group and you will have a new .dat file for
that group. Then copy that file to new files corresponding to the other
groups. E.g., if you create a filter for this newsgroup you will have a
file named netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.dat. You could then copy
this to misc.consumers.house.dat to have the same filters operational in
the misc.consumers.house newsgroup.

Perce

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> On 10/19/05 10:29 am Matt Ion tossed the following ingredients into the
> ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>> First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.
>>>
>>> Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't
>>> do it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the
>>> first set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate
>>> the mail section within your profile.  Now locate the file
>>> msgFilterRules.dat within that account and copy it to all the other
>>> accounts.
>

>> Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is a
>> folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each group
>> within that (and an .htm file for one group).
>

> I think that every newsgroup to which you have subscribed using Mozilla
> has an associated do-nothing 27-byte .dat file. Create an appropriate
> filter for one newsgroup group and you will have a new .dat file for
> that group. Then copy that file to new files corresponding to the other
> groups. E.g., if you create a filter for this newsgroup you will have a
> file named netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.dat. You could then copy
> this to misc.consumers.house.dat to have the same filters operational in
> the misc.consumers.house newsgroup.

Yeah, I figured that out after looking at the files... problem is, not
all groups I'm subscribe to have a related .msf and .dat file... I dunno
if simply creating one would do the job.  Oh well, experimentation, I
guess...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
Tested on: 10/19/2005 10:35:51 AM

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> On 10/19/05 10:29 am Matt Ion tossed the following ingredients into the
> ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>> First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.
>>>
>>> Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't
>>> do it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the
>>> first set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate
>>> the mail section within your profile.  Now locate the file
>>> msgFilterRules.dat within that account and copy it to all the other
>>> accounts.
>

>> Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is a
>> folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each group
>> within that (and an .htm file for one group).
>

> I think that every newsgroup to which you have subscribed using Mozilla
> has an associated do-nothing 27-byte .dat file. Create an appropriate
> filter for one newsgroup group and you will have a new .dat file for
> that group. Then copy that file to new files corresponding to the other
> groups. E.g., if you create a filter for this newsgroup you will have a
> file named netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.dat. You could then copy
> this to misc.consumers.house.dat to have the same filters operational in
> the misc.consumers.house newsgroup.

Hmmmm actually that doesn't seem to work... I did one for this group,
for example, and actually have a couple 'killfile' filters set as well,
but they don't seem to be applying, and don't show up in the regular
Message Filters dialog.  Hmmmmmm...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
Tested on: 10/19/2005 10:38:52 AM

Re: Global news rules?

gwtc
Matt Ion wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed
>>> groups rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a
>>> time?  I want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones
>>> with replies to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's
>>> a pain to have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new
>>> groups.
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
>>> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> First, update Moz 1.7.10.  There were some problems with that version.
>>
>> Next, as to your question.  The answer is yes and no.  No you can't do
>> it within Moz.  But yes you can in a round about way.  Create the
>> first set of filters in one of the accounts.  Then close Moz, locate
>> the mail section within your profile.  Now locate the file
>> msgFilterRules.dat within that account and copy it to all the other
>> accounts.
>

> Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is a
> folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each group
> within that (and an .htm file for one group).

I have no idea with newsgroups.  I don't use filters for NGs.  All I
can say is try it with one then if it works, then copy it over to the
others.  If you don't experiment and explore, then you don't know what
will happen.

Re: Global news rules?

Clay-2
Matt Ion wrote:

> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global message
> filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups rather
> than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I want to
> create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies to me)
> and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to have to redo
> it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM

realize you are using moz so fyi...
TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by sender
[you].
Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This News
Server .
I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
posting to it. My post came in flagged.
...maybe helps?

Re: Global news rules?

Clay-2
Matt Ion wrote:

> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global message
> filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups rather
> than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I want to
> create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies to me)
> and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to have to redo
> it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM

[I replied to this thread on a public server but it didn't make it
here... apologies if you read it twice]

realize you are using moz, maybe is the same as TB?
TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by sender
[you].
Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This News
Server .
I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
posting to it. My post came in flagged.
ymmv...

Re: Global news rules?

Christopher Jahn
Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in

> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>
>> On 10/19/05 10:29 am Matt Ion tossed the following ingredients into
>> the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>> Hmmm, interesting idea... but will it work with news?  All I see is
>>> a folder for the news server, and a .dat and .msf file for each
>>> group within that (and an .htm file for one group).
>>

>> I think that every newsgroup to which you have subscribed using
>> Mozilla has an associated do-nothing 27-byte .dat file. Create an
>> appropriate filter for one newsgroup group and you will have a new
>> .dat file for that group. Then copy that file to new files
>> corresponding to the other groups. E.g., if you create a filter for
>> this newsgroup you will have a file named
>> netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.dat. You could then copy this to
>> misc.consumers.house.dat to have the same filters operational in the
>> misc.consumers.house newsgroup.
>
> Yeah, I figured that out after looking at the files... problem is, not
> all groups I'm subscribe to have a related .msf and .dat file... I
> dunno if simply creating one would do the job.  Oh well,
> experimentation, I guess...

They all have a related MSF file if you're opening them and reading them.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Whoever controls your eyes, controls your mind.

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Clay wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed groups
>> rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a time?  I
>> want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones with replies
>> to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's a pain to
>> have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new groups.
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
>> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM
>>

> realize you are using moz so fyi...
> TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by sender
> [you].
> Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This News
> Server .
> I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
> posting to it. My post came in flagged.
> ...maybe helps?

I don't mind going to Firefox/Thunderbird if they have the integration
working properly... last time I tried that combination, clicking an
email address in Firefox failed to start Thunderbird, but just generated
an error popup.  The alleged fix for that made it so TB simply didn't
start up at all.  The benefit with Mozilla is that it is all one bundle
so there are no integration issues.  (And BTW, I don't use it for mail,
I use Outlook 2003, out of work necessity more than anything).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:02:47 PM

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in
>

>>Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>>

>>>On 10/19/05 10:29 am Matt Ion tossed the following ingredients into
>>>the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>>I think that every newsgroup to which you have subscribed using
>>>Mozilla has an associated do-nothing 27-byte .dat file. Create an
>>>appropriate filter for one newsgroup group and you will have a new
>>>.dat file for that group. Then copy that file to new files
>>>corresponding to the other groups. E.g., if you create a filter for
>>>this newsgroup you will have a file named
>>>netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.dat. You could then copy this to
>>>misc.consumers.house.dat to have the same filters operational in the
>>>misc.consumers.house newsgroup.
>>
>>Yeah, I figured that out after looking at the files... problem is, not
>>all groups I'm subscribe to have a related .msf and .dat file... I
>>dunno if simply creating one would do the job.  Oh well,
>>experimentation, I guess...
>>

> They all have a related MSF file if you're opening them and reading them.

Negative... there are at least three groups I'm subscribed to, and read
and post to regularly - alt.autos.honda, alt.honda and
rec.autos.makers.honda - that do not have ANY corresponding files in the
newsserver folder.  Looking closer, neither of the microsoft.public.*
groups I'm subscribed to have corresponding .msf or .dat files.  Neither
do alt.security.alarms or any of the three rec.audio.* groups.

I currently have 24 subscribed groups on the same newsserver, but only
17 each .msf and .dat files (not counting hostinfo.dat).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:08:41 PM

Re: Global news rules?

Leonidas Jones
Matt Ion wrote:

> Clay wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed
>>> groups rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a
>>> time?  I want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones
>>> with replies to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's
>>> a pain to have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new
>>> groups.
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
>>> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> realize you are using moz so fyi...
>> TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by
>> sender [you].
>> Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This News
>> Server .
>> I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
>> posting to it. My post came in flagged.
>> ...maybe helps?
>
> I don't mind going to Firefox/Thunderbird if they have the integration
> working properly... last time I tried that combination, clicking an
> email address in Firefox failed to start Thunderbird, but just generated
> an error popup.  The alleged fix for that made it so TB simply didn't
> start up at all.  The benefit with Mozilla is that it is all one bundle
> so there are no integration issues.  (And BTW, I don't use it for mail,
> I use Outlook 2003, out of work necessity more than anything).
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
> Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:02:47 PM

In order for TB and FF to work together, both must be set as default in
their respective areas.  If you have another ap set as either default
Mail or default Browser, that breaks it.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in

>>>Yeah, I figured that out after looking at the files... problem is,
>>>not all groups I'm subscribe to have a related .msf and .dat file...
>>>I dunno if simply creating one would do the job.  Oh well,
>>>experimentation, I guess...
>>>

>> They all have a related MSF file if you're opening them and reading
>> them.
>
> Negative... there are at least three groups I'm subscribed to, and
> read and post to regularly - alt.autos.honda, alt.honda and
> rec.autos.makers.honda - that do not have ANY corresponding files in
> the newsserver folder.  Looking closer, neither of the
> microsoft.public.* groups I'm subscribed to have corresponding .msf or
> .dat files.  Neither do alt.security.alarms or any of the three
> rec.audio.* groups.

That's simply not possible.  They may be hidden, but if you're using Moz
or TB, there must be an MSF file for every subscribed group.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Percepi et esse.

Re: Global news rules?

Leonidas Jones
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>> Clay wrote:

>>> realize you are using moz so fyi...
>>> TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by
>>> sender [you].
>>> Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This
>>> News Server .
>>> I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
>>> posting to it. My post came in flagged.
>>> ...maybe helps?
>>
>> I don't mind going to Firefox/Thunderbird if they have the integration
>> working properly... last time I tried that combination, clicking an
>> email address in Firefox failed to start Thunderbird, but just
>> generated an error popup.  The alleged fix for that made it so TB
>> simply didn't start up at all.  The benefit with Mozilla is that it is
>> all one bundle so there are no integration issues.  (And BTW, I don't
>> use it for mail, I use Outlook 2003, out of work necessity more than
>> anything).
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
>> Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:02:47 PM
>>

> In order for TB and FF to work together, both must be set as default in
> their respective areas.  If you have another ap set as either default
> Mail or default Browser, that breaks it.
>
> Lee

As a further thought, if other aps are set as default, the two can still
integrate through the Launchy extension.  When installed in both, a
right click on a link or a mailto gives a context menu of choices of aps
with which to open it.  So you can easily select TB for a mail to in FF,
or FF for a mailto in TB. Its a handy extension.

However, if both are default, it should be no problem.

Lee

Re: Global news rules?

Clay-2
Matt Ion wrote:

> Clay wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way in Mozilla (1.7.10) newsreader to set a global
>>> message filter, something that will apply across all subscribed
>>> groups rather than having to set the filter on each group one at a
>>> time?  I want to create a filter to highlight my own threads (ones
>>> with replies to me) and can do it on a group-by-group basis, but it's
>>> a pain to have to redo it again and again whenever I subscribe new
>>> groups.
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-1, 10/18/2005
>>> Tested on: 10/18/2005 10:52:32 PM
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>>>

>> realize you are using moz so fyi...
>> TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by
>> sender [you].
>> Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This News
>> Server .
>> I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
>> posting to it. My post came in flagged.
>> ...maybe helps?
>

> I don't mind going to Firefox/Thunderbird if they have the integration
> working properly... last time I tried that combination, clicking an
> email address in Firefox failed to start Thunderbird, but just generated
> an error popup.  The alleged fix for that made it so TB simply didn't
> start up at all.  The benefit with Mozilla is that it is all one bundle
> so there are no integration issues.  (And BTW, I don't use it for mail,
> I use Outlook 2003, out of work necessity more than anything).
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
> Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:02:47 PM

That's unfortunate you had integration problems with Fx/TB.
We ran NS4.7x for years here. The browser became behind the web
technology so we moved to NS7.x browser but retained 4.7x for email.
Very irritating not having the two work together.

Now we use TB/Fx and the integration is seamless for us. No more
copy/paste links, etc... A few here run both Moz and MSO/MSIE on their
box and switching back and forth is as simple as checking the box 'Make
[xxx] your default browser'.
You might consider giving it a chance again.

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Christopher Jahn wrote:

> Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in
>

>>Christopher Jahn wrote:
>>

>>>Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in

>>>They all have a related MSF file if you're opening them and reading
>>>them.
>>
>>Negative... there are at least three groups I'm subscribed to, and
>>read and post to regularly - alt.autos.honda, alt.honda and
>>rec.autos.makers.honda - that do not have ANY corresponding files in
>>the newsserver folder.  Looking closer, neither of the
>>microsoft.public.* groups I'm subscribed to have corresponding .msf or
>>.dat files.  Neither do alt.security.alarms or any of the three
>>rec.audio.* groups.
>>

> That's simply not possible.  They may be hidden, but if you're using Moz
> or TB, there must be an MSF file for every subscribed group.

Well they must be pretty well hidden then, because I have my folders set
system-wide to display all files, hidden and system files included.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-4, 10/20/2005
Tested on: 10/20/2005 10:46:12 AM

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Clay wrote:

>>> realize you are using moz so fyi...
>>> TB lets you set a filter globally for newsserver to flag posts by
>>> sender [you].
>>> Tools>Message Filters... Pull down Message Filters: to Chose This
>>> News Server .
>>> I just tested by creating the filter, then adding a new group and
>>> posting to it. My post came in flagged.
>>> ...maybe helps?
>>

>> I don't mind going to Firefox/Thunderbird if they have the integration
>> working properly... last time I tried that combination, clicking an
>> email address in Firefox failed to start Thunderbird, but just
>> generated an error popup.  The alleged fix for that made it so TB
>> simply didn't start up at all.  The benefit with Mozilla is that it is
>> all one bundle so there are no integration issues.  (And BTW, I don't
>> use it for mail, I use Outlook 2003, out of work necessity more than
>> anything).
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
>> Tested on: 10/19/2005 9:02:47 PM
>>

> In order for TB and FF to work together, both must be set as default in
> their respective areas.  If you have another ap set as either default
> Mail or default Browser, that breaks it.

Well see, this is like the problem I was having before: I installed
Thunderbird, and it worked great, and I installed Firefox, and it worked
great, and both worked fine together, and now since I've rebooted,
Thunderbird won't start up anymore.

Argh!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-4, 10/20/2005
Tested on: 10/20/2005 10:47:53 AM

Re: Global news rules?

gwtc
Matt Ion wrote:

> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>
>> Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in

>>> Negative... there are at least three groups I'm subscribed to, and
>>> read and post to regularly - alt.autos.honda, alt.honda and
>>> rec.autos.makers.honda - that do not have ANY corresponding files in
>>> the newsserver folder.  Looking closer, neither of the
>>> microsoft.public.* groups I'm subscribed to have corresponding .msf or
>>> .dat files.  Neither do alt.security.alarms or any of the three
>>> rec.audio.* groups.
>>

>> That's simply not possible.  They may be hidden, but if you're using
>> Moz or TB, there must be an MSF file for every subscribed group.
>

> Well they must be pretty well hidden then, because I have my folders set
> system-wide to display all files, hidden and system files included.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-4, 10/20/2005
> Tested on: 10/20/2005 10:46:12 AM

what about extensions?  Do you have it set to display file extensions?

Re: Global news rules?

Matt Ion
gwtc wrote:

> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>>
>>> Matt Ion <[hidden email]> wrote in

>>> That's simply not possible.  They may be hidden, but if you're using
>>> Moz or TB, there must be an MSF file for every subscribed group.
>>

>> Well they must be pretty well hidden then, because I have my folders
>> set system-wide to display all files, hidden and system files included.
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0542-4, 10/20/2005
>> Tested on: 10/20/2005 10:46:12 AM
>>

> what about extensions?  Do you have it set to display file extensions?

The first thing I do on any machine I use is turn on ALL view options:
extensions, full paths, hidden and system files, system folders...
everything.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-4, 10/20/2005
Tested on: 10/20/2005 1:03:47 PM