[Fwd: Thunderbird address-book]

Thomas-131
Hi,

when will the address-book in Thunderbird be extended? The bad
address-book is a reason, why I have to use Outlook and can not use
Thunderbird. I saw some bugs at bugzilla, but there I can not find a
hint when it will be solved in Thunderbird.

I am missing the following fields:
Two fields for fax + cellphone (private and business).
birthday field.
categories for each contact.

The following fields would be also nice:
Timezone of the private/business address (determines from the address
automatically or to indicate manually).
Photo for the contact.
User-defined fields (like in Outlook or Linux-KDE).
I like the KDE-address-book. Perhaps the Thunderbird address-book can be
changed in some kind like that?

Regards,
Thomas Wildeboer

Re: [Fwd: Thunderbird address-book]

günter
Hello Thomas,

TB/ab is not the best, you are right for that. But there are some
Extensions which can help!

My favorite is "MoreCols ForAddressBook"  at
http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html

Have a look: you will find:
- categories  ... this just enabling the already included
TB/ab-"category" item at the UI!
- birthday
- user def label for the 4 custom fields
- last modified field (only formatted with date, time is missing ..)

And for transferring the outlook contacts to TB/ab I could help with a
JScript -- if you want.

Günter

On 11.03.2007 19:47  schrieb  »Thomas«

gNeandr schrieb:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> TB/ab is not the best, you are right for that. But there are some
> Extensions which can help!

Hello Günter,

thanks for your answer.
Yes, I thought also about an extension, but what will happen to the data
when the TB/ab will be extended? e. g. the birthday field seems to be
already "in the deepth of TB". It will be shown at one of the import
windows, just the UI function to show the data is missing.
I hope that the fields will be added in the original TB/ab!

Thomas

Re: [Fwd: Thunderbird address-book]

günter
On 11.03.2007 21:02  schrieb  »Thomas«

> gNeandr schrieb:
>> Hello Thomas,
>>
>> TB/ab is not the best, you are right for that. But there are some
>> Extensions which can help!
>
> Hello Günter,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> Yes, I thought also about an extension, but what will happen to the data
> when the TB/ab will be extended? e. g. the birthday field seems to be
> already "in the deepth of TB". It will be shown at one of the import
> windows, just the UI function to show the data is missing.
> I hope that the fields will be added in the original TB/ab!
>
> Thomas

Thomas,
no problems!!!!
ALL items I mentioned are already IN, in the STANDARD TB/ab!
The extension I mentioned does ONLY UI handling at all!

Only the 'renaming' of the custom items is hold in the extension and
renamed only at the UI. All other data is stored in the TB/ab.

Once more: the orgData is not altered.

To test:  make a backup of your TB/ab file (mbook.mab etc.), install the
extension, smile!!

Günter

gNeandr schrieb:

> no problems!!!!
> ALL items I mentioned are already IN, in the STANDARD TB/ab!
> The extension I mentioned does ONLY UI handling at all!
>
> Only the 'renaming' of the custom items is hold in the extension and
> renamed only at the UI. All other data is stored in the TB/ab.
>
> Once more: the orgData is not altered.
>
> To test:  make a backup of your TB/ab file (mbook.mab etc.), install the
> extension, smile!!

Hello Günter,

ok, one and a half of my missing fields are comming up by the extension.
For a better use of the categories it would be nice to select them from
a list (but for first step it is ok). I think that the birthday-fields
won't be used by sunbird/lightning until they are oficially used by the
TB-UI?!
To use the TB/ab I have to get two fields for fax and mobilephone
(private and business)! And that's not working by the extension.

Thanks again. Hope that the TB/ab developers will work on the address
book soon.

BTW: There are some mistakes in the german translation of the "MoreCols
ForAddressBook"!

Thomas

Re: [Fwd: Thunderbird address-book]

Miles-4
* Thomas wrote, On 3/11/2007 14:46:

> gNeandr schrieb:
>

> Hello Günter,
>
> ok, one and a half of my missing fields are coming up by the extension.
> For a better use of the categories it would be nice to select them from
> a list (but for first step it is ok). I think that the birthday-fields
> won't be used by sunbird/lightning until they are officially used by the
> TB-UI?!
> To use the TB/ab I have to get two fields for fax and mobile phone
> (private and business)! And that's not working by the extension.
>
> Thanks again. Hope that the TB/ab developers will work on the address
> book soon.
>
> BTW: There are some mistakes in the german translation of the "MoreCols
> ForAddressBook"!
>
> Thomas

Currently entitled "MoreFunctionsforAddressbook."