Fwd: Re: Phabricator Update, July 2017

Philipp Kewisch-2
Are we interested in testing this? I think it would be great!

Philipp

On 2017-07-11 9:51 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Mark Côté <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * MozReview and Splinter turned off in early December.
>
> Is this bugzilla-wide?  I know that other project use splinter still.
> Will those projects be able to use phabricator for their projects?
>
> For instance, NSS uses a separate instance of phabricator, but not all
> the developers are using it already.  I don't think that we have NSPR
> setup yet.

Yes, we welcome other Mozilla-related projects to use the new
Phabricator cluster.  ****In fact, we're looking for projects outside of
Firefox/mozilla-central to be part of our pre-release period****, which
will help us validate the Bugzilla integration.  Migrating NSS over to
the main instance is one candidate, and NSPR sounds like a possibility too.

To answer the other part of your question, MozReview will be disabled
for active use across the board, but it is currently used by a small
number of projects.  Splinter will be disabled on a per-product basis,
as there may be some projects that can't, won't, or shouldn't be
migrated to Phabricator.

Mark

Re: Fwd: Re: Phabricator Update, July 2017

R Kent James
On 7/12/2017 6:59 AM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> Are we interested in testing this? I think it would be great!
>
> Philipp

I spent a few minutes looking over this today.

Generally, I think that we should be moving toward processes that are
more similar to the overall open source world, and away from
Mozilla-specific processes. I have a personal stake in this, as the bulk
of my professional life these days is spent on preparing people for
possible employment in the tech industry, and common tools are more
valuable than Mozilla-specific tools as prior experience.

In look at the motivations for Mozilla's Phabricator, the objectives
match up with this. That is, it is an attempt to move Mozilla away from
internal processes toward a tool that is widely used by other projects,
and could be considered modern best practice.

Putting this all together, yes I think we should serious consider using
this tool. Not sure what you mean by "testing" though, we probably do
not want to be bleeding edge testers.

:rkent

Re: Fwd: Re: Phabricator Update, July 2017

Joshua Cranmer 🐧
On 7/12/17 1:58 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> In look at the motivations for Mozilla's Phabricator, the objectives
> match up with this. That is, it is an attempt to move Mozilla away
> from internal processes toward a tool that is widely used by other
> projects, and could be considered modern best practice.

Well, Reviewboard (aka mozreview) and buildbot are projects that other
people have used that Mozilla has adopted and moved away from. ;-)
Mozilla does seem to have a knack for picking the loser in these product
wars.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer

On 7/12/17 8:58 PM, R Kent James wrote:

> On 7/12/2017 6:59 AM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
>> Are we interested in testing this? I think it would be great!
>>
>> Philipp
>
> I spent a few minutes looking over this today.
>
> Generally, I think that we should be moving toward processes that are
> more similar to the overall open source world, and away from
> Mozilla-specific processes. I have a personal stake in this, as the bulk
> of my professional life these days is spent on preparing people for
> possible employment in the tech industry, and common tools are more
> valuable than Mozilla-specific tools as prior experience.
>
> In look at the motivations for Mozilla's Phabricator, the objectives
> match up with this. That is, it is an attempt to move Mozilla away from
> internal processes toward a tool that is widely used by other projects,
> and could be considered modern best practice.
>
> Putting this all together, yes I think we should serious consider using
> this tool. Not sure what you mean by "testing" though, we probably do
> not want to be bleeding edge testers.
>
> :rkent

With "testing" I mean being the group that adopts its usage to ensure
that Mozilla's way of doing is not Firefox specific. This is what I took
from their post. I think this would help us secure our future w.r.t.
review tools and not having to nag people to make Thunderbird-specific
changes when they have already set everything up.

I'd appreciate comments from some of the folks more in the day-to-day
with bugs as well. If there is strong opposition to use these tools
there is no sense in us stepping up.

Of course this does not mean that in the end we are forced to use it,
but there should be some willingness to embrace a new system in the
hopes that it is better than what we have now.

To increase the likeliness of decisions happening, I would like to
rephrase this as: are there any strong objections to me sending Mark an
email that we would be willing to help out in making sure it is well
integrated? If not, I will do this in a few days.

Philipp

Re: Re: Phabricator Update, July 2017

mozilla
I'd definitely be interested.