Quantcast

Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Jon-191
I know, I know, its not "supported" so I guess I get what I deserve.
But jeez, it seems that it shouldn't be so hard to make an
installation process for windows that is relatively simple (in fact
the entire Testopia installation process sees overly complex given
that few other products I have ever worked with needed patches, lots
of manually added extensions to Perl, etc.

In my case, I can't even get it to patch properly.  I have tried to do
what was instructed properly, and it APPEARS that the patch runs
properly, and checksetup.pl doesn't complain about anything except
missing optional modules, and yet, I am still getting those weird
"Bareword" errors all over the place, almost anytime it uses AJAX
(i.e., creating a new plan, a new case, etc.)

If necessary, I guess I will go got Plan B and install a true Unix
Virtual Machine on my PC and install my test bugzilla and testopia
there.  I hope it works better than the Windows version, sigh...

Jon Rosen

Re: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Gregary Hendricks
>>> On 3/26/2010 at 12:45 AM, in message
<[hidden email]>, Jon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know, I know, its not "supported" so I guess I get what I deserve.
> But jeez, it seems that it shouldn't be so hard to make an
> installation process for windows that is relatively simple (in fact
> the entire Testopia installation process sees overly complex given
> that few other products I have ever worked with needed patches, lots
> of manually added extensions to Perl, etc.
>
> In my case, I can't even get it to patch properly.  I have tried to do
> what was instructed properly, and it APPEARS that the patch runs
> properly, and checksetup.pl doesn't complain about anything except
> missing optional modules, and yet, I am still getting those weird
> "Bareword" errors all over the place, almost anytime it uses AJAX
> (i.e., creating a new plan, a new case, etc.)
>
> If necessary, I guess I will go got Plan B and install a true Unix
> Virtual Machine on my PC and install my test bugzilla and testopia
> there.  I hope it works better than the Windows version, sigh...

I have had other complaints about the bare word issues recently and I think it has something to do with the version of JSON.pm used by ActiveState. You might want to try Strawberry Perl instead or install the JSON module manually.

Bugzilla recently released a Windows installer for Bugzilla. I hope to leverage that in helping make the Testopia install easier.

++Greg

RE: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Sasha Alexander
Hello Jon -- I am running Bugzilla/Testopia on windows machines (Windows 2003) for over a year without any problems. Perhaps we can exchange few emails and nail it down for you.

Cheers,

Sasha

RE: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Sasha Alexander
I'm pretty sure JSON.pm is a cause for it as well (as Gregary indicated) -- I'm using ActiveState perl, but got latest JSON NOT from ActiveState, but from Bugzilla recommended repository and all is working perfectly for me

Sasha

> I know, I know, its not "supported" so I guess I get what I deserve.
> But jeez, it seems that it shouldn't be so hard to make an
> installation process for windows that is relatively simple (in fact
> the entire Testopia installation process sees overly complex given
> that few other products I have ever worked with needed patches, lots
> of manually added extensions to Perl, etc.
>
> In my case, I can't even get it to patch properly.  I have tried to do
> what was instructed properly, and it APPEARS that the patch runs
> properly, and checksetup.pl doesn't complain about anything except
> missing optional modules, and yet, I am still getting those weird
> "Bareword" errors all over the place, almost anytime it uses AJAX
> (i.e., creating a new plan, a new case, etc.)
>
> If necessary, I guess I will go got Plan B and install a true Unix
> Virtual Machine on my PC and install my test bugzilla and testopia
> there.  I hope it works better than the Windows version, sigh...

I have had other complaints about the bare word issues recently and I think it has something to do with the version of JSON.pm used by ActiveState. You might want to try Strawberry Perl instead or install the JSON module manually.

Bugzilla recently released a Windows installer for Bugzilla. I hope to leverage that in helping make the Testopia install easier.

++Greg

Re: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Jon-191
I want to thank Sasha for his help in getting my Bugzilla/Testopia
Windows install working properly.  It is definitely a pain, but once
up, it appears to work nicely.

Greg, one question. The documentation still references importing from
csv (including the presence of csv formatted input in the extensions/
testopia directory as before), but the listing of features for 2.3.1
suggests that csv import has been eliminated and the File->Import->CSV
option doesn't appear in the product.  Can you verify that this is no
longer possible?  If not, I am going to have to polish off my xslt
skills to figger out how to get my Excel-formatted test cases into
Testopia (sigh).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jon Rosen

Re: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Gregary Hendricks
>>> On 4/6/2010 at 4:03 PM, in message
<[hidden email]>, Jon Rosen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gregary,
>
> First, I want to thank you for the work you are doing on Testopia.  It is
> really a very nice product (compared to TestLink which I have used in the
> past).  I think the interface is much nicer and the level of Bugzilla
> integration is better.
>
> I am only struggling because of some basic issues, like the installation
> (although that seems to be worked out now).
>
> My next "issue" has been to load 5000+ existing test cases out of Yuckcel
> spreadsheets into Testopia so my management can get a handle on the testing
> runs we are doing nightly.  Big task, big payoff, but a lot of work :-)
>
> Originally, I planned to use CSV import but that seems to be deprecated.  I
> then thought about XML import, but that requires data transformations that I
> am simply not sure I can handle (although I may end up trying to do it
> anyway, using a Python script with one of its many XML libraries).

CSV import is NOT deprecated. I use it all the time. What issues are you experiencing? You need to make sure you have all the optional Perl modules installed as they are all used in the import. Check the apache log files for error messages.

XML import is also supported. There is an XSD in the source tree, but again, you have to have the optional modules installed.

> I turned to the Testopia XMLRPC, and it looks nice, probably relatively easy
> to do what I want.  However, when I tried to use it, I got the following
> error just doing the first step (connecting up to the server):
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\apps\Python26\lib\site-packages\testopia.py", line 246, in
> __init__
>     password=password)])
>   File "C:\apps\Python26\lib\site-packages\testopia.py", line 437, in
> do_command
>     raise TestopiaXmlrpcError(verb, params, e)
> TestopiaXmlrpcError: Error while executing cmd 'User.login({'login': '
> [hidden email]', 'password': 'tomfoolery'})' --> <Fault -32000: "Undef to
> trick_taint at Bugzilla/Util.pm line
> 62\n\tBugzilla::Util::trick_taint(undef) called at
> Bugzilla/Auth/Persist/Cookie.pm line
> 61\n\tBugzilla::Auth::Persist::Cookie::persist_login('Bugzilla::Auth::Persis
> t::Cookie=HASH(0x3eab464)',
> 'Bugzilla::User=HASH(0x3ed542c)') called at Bugzilla/Auth.pm line
> 147\n\tBugzilla::Auth::_handle_login_result('Bugzilla::Auth=HASH(0x3eaf644)'
> ,
> 'HASH(0x2f174cc)', 2) called at Bugzilla/Auth.pm line
> 92\n\tBugzilla::Auth::login('Bugzilla::Auth=HASH(0x3eaf644)', 2) called at
> Bugzilla.pm line 253\n\tBugzilla::login('Bugzilla') called at
> Bugzilla/WebService/User.pm line
> 69\n\tBugzilla::WebService::User::login('Bugzilla::WebService::User',
> 'HASH(0x3caf774)') called at C:/apps/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line
> 2569\n\teval {...} called at C:/apps/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line
> 2557\n\teval {...} called at C:/apps/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line
> 2526\n\tSOAP::Server::handle('Bugzilla::WebService::Server::XMLRPC=HASH(0x3c
> 77ec4)',
> '<?xml
> version=\\'1.0\\'?>\\x{a}<methodCall>\\x{a}<methodName>User.login</...')
> called at C:/apps/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm line
> 327\n\tSOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server::handle('Bugzilla::WebService::Server::
> XMLRPC=HASH(0x3c77ec4)')
> called at C:/apps/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm line
> 423\n\tSOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI::handle('Bugzilla::WebService::Server::XML
> RPC=HASH(0x3c77ec4)')
> called at C:/xampp/htdocs/bugzilla/tr_xmlrpc.cgi line 47\n">
>
> What is interesting is the Undef to trick-taint that also shows up when I
> try to log in to bugzilla on the top line.  I get almost the same message
> (the end stuff is different of course, since it is the top of the stack, but
> the low level routine that is failing is the  same one and the same error.)
> Interestingly, I can click on New, and then I get the login page, and
> logging in there works just fine.
>
> So I had a workaround for the GUI, but unfortunately, the XMLRPC doesn't
> have such a work-around, at least  can't find one.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give in advance.

I am not sure what to tell you about the login error. I seem to recall seeing something similar. You may want to look around the mailing list archives to see if others have had such issues. The XMLRPC uses the same login mechanism as Bugzilla (all of Testopia relies solely on Bugzilla for authentication) so you may want to raise it in the Bugzilla help lists as well.

++Greg

Re: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

Bill.Wickham
On Friday, March 26, 2010 1:45:35 AM UTC-5, Jon wrote:
> I know, I know, its not "supported" so I guess I get what I deserve. But jeez, it seems that it shouldn't be so hard to make an installation process for windows that is relatively simple (in fact the entire Testopia installation process sees overly complex given that few other products I have ever worked with needed patches, lots of manually added extensions to Perl, etc.In my case, I can't even get it to patch properly. I have tried to do what was instructed properly, and it APPEARS that the patch runs properly, and checksetup.pl doesn't complain about anything except missing optional modules, and yet, I am still getting those weird "Bareword" errors all over the place, almost anytime it uses AJAX (i.e., creating a new plan, a new case, etc.)If necessary, I guess I will go got Plan B and install a true Unix Virtual Machine on my PC and install my test bugzilla and testopia there. I hope it works better than the Windows version, sigh...Jon Rosen

Re: Frustrated with the Windows Testopia installation... sigh...

dianakurus
Could someone provide me Bugzilla/Testopia Windows(7) installer? I struggled a lot and somehow installed entire list: Perl,MySQL,Apache,Bugzilla/Testopia but finally I do not see Test Case, Test Plan etc in the my account. I am really tired of trying lot of options found in the net. Could you please help me with a solution please.
Regards
Diana A