Fraud/stupidity/something else?

The Real Bev
This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?

I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

--
Cheers, Bev
    There's something wrong with my keyboard.

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

Mike Easter-2
The Real Bev wrote:
> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>
> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
harvesting email addresses from user storage.

A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.

Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
marketing advice.

Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

Wolf K.
On 2017-07-31 12:09, The Real Bev wrote:
> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>
> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

I received one, too. My email to them was supposedly #M10366641. I
suspect someone is attacking Ava. Anyhow, I didn't check whether the
contact address was real or an alias.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

On 07/31/2017 01:30 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
>> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
>> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
>> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>>
>> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
>> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.
>
> Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
> 'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
> every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
> harvesting email addresses from user storage.
>
> A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
> in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
> be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.
>
> Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
> much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
> marketing advice.
>
> Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
> published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.

<sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.

--
Cheers, Bev
   Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

Daniel
On 1/08/2017 8:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 07/31/2017 01:30 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
>>> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
>>> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
>>> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>>>
>>> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
>>> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.
>>
>> Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
>> 'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
>> every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
>> harvesting email addresses from user storage.
>>
>> A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
>> in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
>> be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.
>>
>> Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
>> much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
>> marketing advice.
>>
>> Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
>> published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.
>
> <sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
> was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.

Hey, Bev, I'll go you one better ..... over the last week or so, "I've",
apparently, sent myself several SPAM messages .... from my real, ISP
provided, email address to my real, ISP provided, email address!!

Don't know how many others "I've" sent them to!! If anyone here is
receiving them .... sorry!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526

On 2017-08-01 06:26, Daniel wrote:

> On 1/08/2017 8:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
>>> 'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
>>> every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
>>> harvesting email addresses from user storage.
>>>
>>> A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
>>> in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
>>> be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's
>>> marketers.
>>>
>>> Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
>>> much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
>>> marketing advice.
>>>
>>> Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
>>> published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.
>>
>> <sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
>> was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.
>>
> Hey, Bev, I'll go you one better ..... over the last week or so, "I've",
> apparently, sent myself several SPAM messages .... from my real, ISP
> provided, email address to my real, ISP provided, email address!!
>
> Don't know how many others "I've" sent them to!! If anyone here is
> receiving them .... sorry!!

Time to change the password(s).

BTW, it' easy to generate email addresses that will be the sames some
real person's address. The email providers "suggest" an address when you
sign up, these follow a fairly obvious formula, and most people don't
change them before hitting Done. So a script to produce them is a
doddle. Then just mass-mail, most of them will be valid.

FWIW, One of my addresses is the ISP-suggested one....

On 1/08/2017 10:34 PM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2017-08-01 06:26, Daniel wrote:

>>> <sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
>>> was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.
>>>
>> Hey, Bev, I'll go you one better ..... over the last week or so,
>> "I've", apparently, sent myself several SPAM messages .... from my
>> real, ISP provided, email address to my real, ISP provided, email
>> address!!
>>
>> Don't know how many others "I've" sent them to!! If anyone here is
>> receiving them .... sorry!!
>>

> Time to change the password(s).
>
> BTW, it' easy to generate email addresses that will be the sames some
> real person's address. The email providers "suggest" an address when you
> sign up, these follow a fairly obvious formula, and most people don't
> change them before hitting Done. So a script to produce them is a
> doddle. Then just mass-mail, most of them will be valid.
>
> FWIW, One of my addresses is the ISP-suggested one....

Yeah, I think my ISP originally offered an e-mail address of the form
firstname.familyname@.... but I thought that was too common, so went for
my four initials instead!!

On 08/01/2017 03:26 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 1/08/2017 8:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
>>> 'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
>>> every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
>>> harvesting email addresses from user storage.
>>>
>>> A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
>>> in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
>>> be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.
>>>
>>> Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
>>> much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
>>> marketing advice.
>>>
>>> Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
>>> published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.
>>
>> <sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
>> was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.
>>
> Hey, Bev, I'll go you one better ..... over the last week or so, "I've",
> apparently, sent myself several SPAM messages .... from my real, ISP
> provided, email address to my real, ISP provided, email address!!
>
> Don't know how many others "I've" sent them to!! If anyone here is
> receiving them .... sorry!!

That happened to me once on facebook.  FB also has a problem with some
asshole using people's addresses to post a .jpg ad for discounted Oakley
sunglasses.  It happens maybe once every couple of weeks, but I only
have 100 friends.  Facebook can't seem to do anything about it, or
doesn't want to.

I just got an email from a medical helicopter service in the UK
explaining that they can't begin to process my 5 pounds/month
contribution until they receive my correct phone, etc.  I believe it's a
true response rather than a scam because I get stuff like this every
day.  I can't understand what assholes get out of doing this.   OTOH,
it's economical -- annoy two entities with one signup.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Everyone ought to stop and smell crayons once in a while."

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

s|b-2
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:09:29 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>
> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

I registered a domain with mailhosting (25 euro/year). Catch all is
enabled and I always use (part of) the domain's name to register. Every
now and then I get spam (Rayban sunglasses several times) on an
address... which I *only* use for Paypal. It seems legit, but I'm
reluctant to unsubscribe (which would probably not be a good idea,
so...).

--
s|b

On 08/01/2017 11:42 AM, s|b wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:09:29 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
>> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
>> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
>> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>>
>> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
>> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.
>
> I registered a domain with mailhosting (25 euro/year). Catch all is
> enabled and I always use (part of) the domain's name to register. Every
> now and then I get spam (Rayban sunglasses several times) on an
> address... which I *only* use for Paypal. It seems legit, but I'm
> reluctant to unsubscribe (which would probably not be a good idea,
> so...).

One thing I'm especially grateful to google for: their spam filters.
I'm amazed at how much spam my family/friends account gets that I never see.

--
Cheers, Bev
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing,

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

GérardJan
The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/01/2017 11:42 AM, s|b wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:09:29 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
>>> to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
>>> groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
>>> someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?
>>>
>>> I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
>>> first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.
>>
>> I registered a domain with mailhosting (25 euro/year). Catch all is
>> enabled and I always use (part of) the domain's name to register. Every
>> now and then I get spam (Rayban sunglasses several times) on an
>> address... which I *only* use for Paypal. It seems legit, but I'm
>> reluctant to unsubscribe (which would probably not be a good idea,
>> so...).
>
> One thing I'm especially grateful to google for: their spam filters. I'm amazed
> at how much spam my family/friends account gets that I never see.

+1

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff
http://www.ciudadpatricia.es

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49a2
Build identifier: 20161122013001

I never met a man I didn't want to fight.
                -- Lyle Alzado, professional football lineman

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 13:39:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> One thing I'm especially grateful to google for: their spam filters.
> I'm amazed at how much spam my family/friends account gets that I never see.

On my PC I use TB with its own spam filter and SpamAssassin enabled. But
on my smartphone I use the Gmail app and it's a real PITA that it can't
filter spam.

--
s|b