Foreign characters -- displaying and composing

Foreign characters -- displaying and composing

Alan-38
On one of the Usenet newsgroups I found a message discussing Chinese
vocabulary and grammar, but when viewing it with PmW-Tb I saw many
question marks -- some individual, some in groups.

Since I was able to tell from the context what the question marks
represented, I hit Ctrl-R to reply and found that in the quoted material
the groups of question marks now displayed as Chinese characters, while
the individual question marks displayed as accented Western characters
-- correctly in every case.

I could cut and paste from the quoted passages and have everything
display properly (including Chinese characters), but I could not find a
way of composing such, even when using Unicode. The font I selected did
not seem to make any difference to the display in the quoted material.

What is going on here, and how can I compose Chinese characters on my
US-English OS/2 (actually eCS 1.24) system?

-=-
Alan

Re: Foreign characters -- displaying and composing

Isaac Leung
Hmm...as far as I know, you can't unless you're using a DBCS version of
OS/2 with its built in IME.

The only "work-around" I know of is to make use of Java. Most (I think
"proper" ones) Java apps should be DBCS enabled. However, in addition to
the Java app itself, you need to install the Java IME for DBCS. I think
one was on IBM Alphaworks that you can download.

You can then enter text into the Java app and cut and paste into
Thunderbird or Mozilla or whatever.
Just a word of warning, if you follow the instructions, it works with
IBM's Java 1.3.1, and Innotek 1.4.2, but not GC 1.4.1. I reported this
to GC already but no solution yet.

If anyone has a better way, please let us know!

Isaac

Alan wrote:

> On one of the Usenet newsgroups I found a message discussing Chinese
> vocabulary and grammar, but when viewing it with PmW-Tb I saw many
> question marks -- some individual, some in groups.
>
> Since I was able to tell from the context what the question marks
> represented, I hit Ctrl-R to reply and found that in the quoted material
> the groups of question marks now displayed as Chinese characters, while
> the individual question marks displayed as accented Western characters
> -- correctly in every case.
>
> I could cut and paste from the quoted passages and have everything
> display properly (including Chinese characters), but I could not find a
> way of composing such, even when using Unicode. The font I selected did
> not seem to make any difference to the display in the quoted material.
>
> What is going on here, and how can I compose Chinese characters on my
> US-English OS/2 (actually eCS 1.24) system?
>
> -=-
> Alan

Re: Foreign characters -- displaying and composing

Henry Sobotka
Alan wrote:

> What is going on here, and how can I compose Chinese characters on my
> US-English OS/2 (actually eCS 1.24) system?

Don't know what's going on with TB, though it might be that you have a
Western character encoding set by default for reading newsgroups, and
hitting reply is picking up and displaying the one used for the post.

As for composing Han characters, there's a Chinese editor on Hobbes that
works quite well though limited to pre-Unicode encodings. Another option
is old apps that run in Win-OS2. I've copied Chinese texts into Mozilla
Composer and saved as to convert to Unicode or other encodings, so
that's another available tool. Here I have a homemads browser app that
displays the ideograms in the Unihan database organized by radical and
strokecount, and those copy neatly into a TB compose window. So there
are various options on US-English OS/2 (which is what I have here). It's
more a question of selecting the one or combination you're most
comfortable with, given that the invariable hassle of Han input.

h~

Henry Sobotka wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>>
>> What is going on here, and how can I compose Chinese characters on my
>> US-English OS/2 (actually eCS 1.24) system?
>
> Don't know what's going on with TB, though it might be that you have a
> Western character encoding set by default for reading newsgroups, and
> hitting reply is picking up and displaying the one used for the post.
>
> As for composing Han characters, there's a Chinese editor on Hobbes that
> works quite well though limited to pre-Unicode encodings. Another option
> is old apps that run in Win-OS2. I've copied Chinese texts into Mozilla
> Composer and saved as to convert to Unicode or other encodings, so
> that's another available tool. Here I have a homemads browser app that
> displays the ideograms in the Unihan database organized by radical and
> strokecount, and those copy neatly into a TB compose window. So there

I don't suppose you would consider sharing your homebrew app?

Isaac

Isaac Leung wrote:

> I don't suppose you would consider sharing your homebrew app?

I'd be glad to. Just need a bit of time to package it (working weekend
coming up so I may not get to it before an evening next week).

h~