Flock l10n

Israel Saeta Pérez
Hello list!

My name is Israel Saeta, and I'm currently leading the Flock l10n
proccess with Stefan Plewako.

Flock is currently localized into a bunch of languages like Catalan,
Finnish, French or German, but we know there's a lot of missing
important localizations like nl, zh, pt or se, among others. You can
see the team list at [1], but teams with (confirm) in all names will be
probably inactive. You can see the current list of versions at [2].

We're trying to increase the number of localizations, so _please_
contact me if you are interested in helping to localize Flock
to your local language.

Flock is based on Firefox, so you'd only have to translate
Flock-specific strings and some overrides. The proccess is very similar
to Mozilla based ones: editing .dtd and .properties files.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much for your time!

[1] http://developer.flock.com/wiki/L10n:Localization_Teams
[2] http://flock.com/versions

--
Israel Saeta Pérez
http://dukebody.com

Re: Flock l10n

Rimas Kudelis-3
Hello Israel Saeta!

Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work needed
for Flock?

RQ

Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:

> Hello list!
>
> My name is Israel Saeta, and I'm currently leading the Flock l10n
> proccess with Stefan Plewako.
>
> Flock is currently localized into a bunch of languages like Catalan,
> Finnish, French or German, but we know there's a lot of missing
> important localizations like nl, zh, pt or se, among others. You can
> see the team list at [1], but teams with (confirm) in all names will be
> probably inactive. You can see the current list of versions at [2].
>
> We're trying to increase the number of localizations, so _please_
> contact me if you are interested in helping to localize Flock
> to your local language.
>
> Flock is based on Firefox, so you'd only have to translate
> Flock-specific strings and some overrides. The proccess is very similar
> to Mozilla based ones: editing .dtd and .properties files.
>
> Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much for your time!
>

> [1] http://developer.flock.com/wiki/L10n:Localization_Teams
> [2] http://flock.com/versions

Re: Flock l10n

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Rimas Kudelis escribió:
> Hello Israel Saeta!
>
> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work needed
> for Flock?

This is an estimation based in an old Flock version (0.7), but
MozillaTranslator says there were 920 strings, with about 30 of them
being actually files other than DTD and properties (e.g.:
searchplugins PNG and src files, README.txt, userChrome.css, etc.).
Flock, however, doesn't include built-in help, so no surprises here. :-)

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: Flock l10n

Israel Saeta Pérez
On 23/03/2008
Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> Hello Israel Saeta!
>
> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work
> needed for Flock?

Hi Rimas!

IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate it
yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current stable
branch.

What language would you be localizing to? Thanks for the goodwill!

--
Israel Saeta Pérez
http://dukebody.com

Re: Flock l10n

Simos Xenitellis-4
Israel Saeta Pérez wrote:

> On 23/03/2008
> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>

>> Hello Israel Saeta!
>>
>> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work
>> needed for Flock?
>>

> Hi Rimas!
>
> IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate it
> yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current stable
> branch.
>
> What language would you be localizing to? Thanks for the goodwill!

This is the stage you should grab pocount (or a similar tool)
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pocount
and provide a word/message count.

Simos

Re: Flock l10n

Rimas Kudelis-3
Hello again,

Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:
> On 23/03/2008
> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work
>> needed for Flock?
>
> IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate it
> yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current stable
> branch.

I already took a look there, but it seems that in the same branch you
also have files that could be pulled directly from Firefox l10n, so it
doesn't seem like I could easily tell the amount of translation work
specific to Flock without looking through every single file, am I correct?

> What language would you be localizing to? Thanks for the goodwill!

Lithuanian. It's sort of a minor locale, but still... :) We have Firefox
and Thunderbird 1.5*, 2.0* and pre-3.0 fully translated already, and if
there is not too much Flock-specific stuff to localize, I could probably
go with translating Flock too, otherwise, I'm not sure.

RQ

Re: Flock l10n

Stefan Plewako
Rimas Kudelis pisze:

> Hello again,
>
> Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:
>> On 23/03/2008
>> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work
>>> needed for Flock?
>>
>> IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate it
>> yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current stable
>> branch.
>
> I already took a look there, but it seems that in the same branch you
> also have files that could be pulled directly from Firefox l10n, so it
> doesn't seem like I could easily tell the amount of translation work
> specific to Flock without looking through every single file, am I correct?

No, these are specific for flock, firefox translations are pulled directly from mozilla cvs - but some files/strings may be very similar, grep tells me that there is around 2000 strings.

Regards
Stefan Plewako

--
Aviary.pl l10n team
http://www.aviary.pl

Re: Flock l10n

Israel Saeta Pérez
On 24/03/2008
Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:
> > On 23/03/2008
> > Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps you have an estimation of the amount of localization work
> >> needed for Flock?
> >
> > IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate
> > it yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current
> > stable branch.
>
> I already took a look there, but it seems that in the same branch you
> also have files that could be pulled directly from Firefox l10n, so it
> doesn't seem like I could easily tell the amount of translation work
> specific to Flock without looking through every single file, am I
> correct?

If I'm not wrong, all entities that also exist in Firefox l10n are
overriden by Flock ones. So, you'd have to translate the whole Flock
l10n branch.

I've done what Simos Xenitellis suggested and used pocount against
moz2po converted Flock files, reporting 1980 strings contaning 9325
words to translate. Thanks Simos!

> > What language would you be localizing to? Thanks for the goodwill!
>
> Lithuanian. It's sort of a minor locale, but still... :) We have
> Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5*, 2.0* and pre-3.0 fully translated
> already, and if there is not too much Flock-specific stuff to
> localize, I could probably go with translating Flock too, otherwise,
> I'm not sure.

We'd love to have locales in any language, no matter how little it is.
Lithuanian users would be grateful for your work for sure!

--
Israel Saeta Pérez
http://dukebody.com

Re: Flock l10n

Rimas Kudelis-3
Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:

> On 24/03/2008
> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Israel Saeta Pérez rašė:

>>> IMO it's not too much, but you can browse the l10n repo to estimate
>>> it yourself :-)  http://tinyurl.com/2qzh79  Grackle is the current
>>> stable branch.
>> I already took a look there, but it seems that in the same branch you
>> also have files that could be pulled directly from Firefox l10n, so it
>> doesn't seem like I could easily tell the amount of translation work
>> specific to Flock without looking through every single file, am I
>> correct?
>
> If I'm not wrong, all entities that also exist in Firefox l10n are
> overriden by Flock ones. So, you'd have to translate the whole Flock
> l10n branch.
>
> I've done what Simos Xenitellis suggested and used pocount against
> moz2po converted Flock files, reporting 1980 strings contaning 9325
> words to translate. Thanks Simos!
>
>>> What language would you be localizing to? Thanks for the goodwill!
>> Lithuanian. It's sort of a minor locale, but still... :) We have
>> Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5*, 2.0* and pre-3.0 fully translated
>> already, and if there is not too much Flock-specific stuff to
>> localize, I could probably go with translating Flock too, otherwise,
>> I'm not sure.
>
> We'd love to have locales in any language, no matter how little it is.
> Lithuanian users would be grateful for your work for sure!

got it, thanks.