Flash won't play nice (?)

Paul B. Gallagher
Sometimes....

I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.

OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.

I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
<http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
        Adobe Flash Player is installed
        Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully

So far, so good.

I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.

I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:

Shockwave Flash
     File name: NPSWF32.dll
     Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes

which looks fine to me.

I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:

Adobe Flash Player Security
---------------------------
Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
The following local application on your computer or network:
C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
msent.vo.llnwd.net
To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
You must restart the application after changing your settings.

So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
the same source), but not this particular one.

Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
critical page I'm trying to view is this one:

<http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
(ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)

It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."

When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
(complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
at all in Mozilla.

Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Sometimes....
>
> I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
> uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
> reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
> wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.
>
> OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.
>
> I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
> <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
> which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
> Adobe Flash Player is installed
> Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully
>
> So far, so good.
>
> I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
> under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.
>
> I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:
>
> Shockwave Flash
>      File name: NPSWF32.dll
>      Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
> MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
> application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes
>
> which looks fine to me.
>
> I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
> Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:
>
> Adobe Flash Player Security
> ---------------------------
> Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
> The following local application on your computer or network:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
> is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
> msent.vo.llnwd.net
> To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
> You must restart the application after changing your settings.
>
> So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
> the same source), but not this particular one.
>
> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>
> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>
> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>
> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
> at all in Mozilla.
>
> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?

try updating your program.  Don't use Moz, but instead use
SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]

btw -- who ever sang the national anthem should be shot.
That was horrible.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

squaredancer wrote:

> [...]
>>> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
>>> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>>>
>>> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>>>
>>> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
>>> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
>>> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
>>> at all in Mozilla.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>>

>> try updating your program.  Don't use Moz, but instead use
>> SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]
>>
>> btw -- who ever sang the national anthem should be shot.
>> That was horrible.
>>

> ....which is most probably what *HE* thought....
> "hey! that *AIN'T* the National Anthem"
> btw - the two people to his left also don't look very patriotic!

hey, you're right, cause if you look at the other people,
they all faced the flag.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 1/27/2008 9:44 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Sometimes....
>
> I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
> uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
> reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
> wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.
>
> OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.
>
> I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
> <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
> which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
>     Adobe Flash Player is installed
>     Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully
>
> So far, so good.
>
> I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
> under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.
>
> I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:
>
> Shockwave Flash
>     File name: NPSWF32.dll
>     Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
> MIME Type     Description     Suffixes     Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash     Adobe Flash movie     swf     Yes
> application/futuresplash     FutureSplash movie     spl     Yes
>
> which looks fine to me.
>
> I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
> Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:
>
> Adobe Flash Player Security
> ---------------------------
> Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
> The following local application on your computer or network:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
> is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
> msent.vo.llnwd.net
> To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
> You must restart the application after changing your settings.
>
> So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
> the same source), but not this particular one.
>
> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>
> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>
> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>
> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
> at all in Mozilla.
>
> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?

WFM FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2

--
Irwin

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Robert Blair-2
On 1/27/2008 9:44 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Sometimes....
>
> I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
> uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
> reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
> wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.
>
> OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.
>
> I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
> <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
> which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
> Adobe Flash Player is installed
> Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully
>
> So far, so good.
>
> I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
> under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.
>
> I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:
>
> Shockwave Flash
>      File name: NPSWF32.dll
>      Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
> MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
> application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
> application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes
>
> which looks fine to me.
>
> I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
> Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:
>
> Adobe Flash Player Security
> ---------------------------
> Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
> The following local application on your computer or network:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
> is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
> msent.vo.llnwd.net
> To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
> You must restart the application after changing your settings.
>
> So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
> the same source), but not this particular one.
>
> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>
> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>
> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>
> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
> at all in Mozilla.
>
> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?

I went to the site.  I had no problems.

As for Obama, I don't see anything wrong about how he left his hands at
his side during our national anthem.  When I was in school (before Noah
and the Flood), we were taught to stand respectfully* during the
national anthem.  Our hands over our hearts were only required during
the Pledge of Allegiance, not during the anthem.  Those who put their
hands over their hearts during the national anthem are showing off their
super-patriotism, which often means less than the quiet patriotism of
those who are not show-offs.  See my
<http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_patriot.html>.

My configuration was as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Norton Anti-Virus 2005 11.0.17.1

Dial-up connection (56 Kbps, it took forever to download the Flash
presentation)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
Gecko/20071128 SeaMonkey/1.1.7

Cookies for all Web sites

No firewall or proxy

Java J2SE RE v.6 (build 1.6.0_03-b05, file and product versions 6.0.30.5)

Flash 9.0.115.0 (9.0 r115)

Extensions:
Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
FlashBlock 1.3.8 (disabled)
LiveHTTPHeaders 0.13.1
Mnenhy 0.7.5
PrefBar 4.0:
        Unrequested popups enabled
        All images

----------------------
*  "Repectfully" includes men and boys standing bare-headed, removing
their hats and caps.  The failure to do this -- very common today --
upsets me, and it should upset you far more than someone standing with
his hands at his side (the way I stand during the anthem).

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Paul B. Gallagher
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>

> WFM FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2

Anyone care to translate this into English? I can decipher all but
"WFM," but I have no idea whether you can play the vid or not, or
whether you think it's my problem or theirs.

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>>
>> WFM FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2
>
> Anyone care to translate this into English? I can decipher all but
> "WFM," but I have no idea whether you can play the vid or not, or
> whether you think it's my problem or theirs.

he said that it "Work For Me"

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Michael-369
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo replied On 1/27/2008 12:23 PM

> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Sometimes....
>>
>> I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
>> uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
>> reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
>> wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.
>>
>> OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.
>>
>> I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
>> <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
>> which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
>> Adobe Flash Player is installed
>> Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully
>>
>> So far, so good.
>>
>> I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
>> under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.
>>
>> I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:
>>
>> Shockwave Flash
>>      File name: NPSWF32.dll
>>      Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
>> MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
>> application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
>> application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes
>>
>> which looks fine to me.
>>
>> I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
>> Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:
>>
>> Adobe Flash Player Security
>> ---------------------------
>> Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
>> The following local application on your computer or network:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
>> is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
>> msent.vo.llnwd.net
>> To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
>> You must restart the application after changing your settings.
>>
>> So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
>> the same source), but not this particular one.
>>
>> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
>> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>>
>> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
>> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
>> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>>
>> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>>
>> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
>> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
>> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
>> at all in Mozilla.
>>
>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>

> try updating your program.  Don't use Moz, but instead use
> SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]
>
> btw -- who ever sang the national anthem should be shot.
> That was horrible.

Hey, that's Freedom Of Speach and so was Hilary's body language after
she glanced at Obama.

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Leonidas Jones-2
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>>

>> WFM FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2
>
> Anyone care to translate this into English? I can decipher all but
> "WFM," but I have no idea whether you can play the vid or not, or
> whether you think it's my problem or theirs.

Works For Me.

Lee

Michael wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo replied On 1/27/2008 12:23 PM
>
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> Sometimes....
>>>
>>> I recently had trouble with .swf files playing on my Moz 1.7.13, so I
>>> uninstalled both Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash and then
>>> reinstalled from scratch. This doesn't always solve the problem. I
>>> wonder if the problem is at my end or at the remote website.
>>>
>>> OS is Win2K SP4, fully patched and updated.
>>>
>>> I just went to the Adobe website and looked at their test page
>>> <http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/>
>>> which displayed a plain-vanilla vid saying:
>>> Adobe Flash Player is installed
>>> Version 9,0,115,0 installed successfully
>>>
>>> So far, so good.
>>>
>>> I have no listing for flash or application/x-shockwave flash or .swf
>>> under Edit | Preferences |Helper Applications.
>>>
>>> I also looked at about:plugins and found this entry:
>>>
>>> Shockwave Flash
>>>      File name: NPSWF32.dll
>>>      Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
>>> MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
>>> application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
>>> application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes
>>>
>>> which looks fine to me.
>>>
>>> I am also able to play local .swf files using File | Open from Mozilla.
>>> Well, mostly. I tried to play one and got this popup:
>>>
>>> Adobe Flash Player Security
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.
>>> The following local application on your computer or network:
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Paul B. Gallagher\...\BoxMart_JibJab.swf
>>> is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
>>> msent.vo.llnwd.net
>>> To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
>>> You must restart the application after changing your settings.
>>>
>>> So I did, but it didn't help. I can still play some swf files (even from
>>> the same source), but not this particular one.
>>>
>>> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
>>> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>>>
>>> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
>>> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
>>> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>>>
>>> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>>>
>>> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
>>> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
>>> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
>>> at all in Mozilla.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>>>
>> try updating your program.  Don't use Moz, but instead use
>> SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]
>>
>> btw -- who ever sang the national anthem should be shot.
>> That was horrible.
>>

> Hey, that's Freedom Of Speach and so was Hilary's body language after
> she glanced at Obama.

yup, she's playing the race card again.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

John Thompson
On 2008-01-27, Paul B. Gallagher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!), the
> critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>
><http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803>
> (ABC News video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled
> Banner without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>
> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now loading..."
>
> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a prompt
> to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing played fine
> (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't get it to play
> at all in Mozilla.
>
> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?

Mozilla products do not support ActiveX, which is a proprietary
Microsoft technology.

--

John ([hidden email])

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Paul B. Gallagher
John Thompson wrote:

> On 2008-01-27, Paul B. Gallagher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, to make a long story short (as if I could at this point!),
>> the critical page I'm trying to view is this one:
>>
>> <http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3759803> (ABC News
>> video of Sen. Barack Obama listening to the Star-Spangled Banner
>> without putting his hand over his heart -- supposedly a big deal)
>>
>> It seems to be permanently stuck on "The video player is now
>>
>> When I tried it in Internet Exploiter 6, the first time I got a
>> prompt to install an ActiveX control, which I did, and the thing
>> played fine (complete with Walgreens ad -- sigh). But I still can't
>> get it to play at all in Mozilla.
>>
>> Any ideas? Is it their problem or mine?
>
> Mozilla products do not support ActiveX, which is a proprietary
> Microsoft technology.

I was aware of that. So how come it plays OK for Irwin Greenwald?

He reports his configuration thus:

On 2008-01-29, Paul B. Gallagher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>
>> Mozilla products do not support ActiveX, which is a proprietary
>> Microsoft technology.
>
> I was aware of that. So how come it plays OK for Irwin Greenwald?
>
> He reports his configuration thus:
> FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2

Is he perhaps using a third-party extension, e.g. "IE View" or suchlike?

--

John ([hidden email])

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Ken Whiton
*-* On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:29:35 -0600,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* John Thompson wrote
*-* About Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

> On 2008-01-29, Paul B. Gallagher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> John Thompson wrote:

>>> Mozilla products do not support ActiveX, which is a proprietary
>>> Microsoft technology.

>> I was aware of that. So how come it plays OK for Irwin Greenwald?

>> He reports his configuration thus:
>> FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2

      FWIW, the page in question played OK for me, too.
FF 1.5.0.2, Flash 9.0 r28, on Windows ME

> Is he perhaps using a third-party extension, e.g. "IE View" or
> suchlike?

      I'm not, nor do I have the ActiveX plug-in for Mozilla installed.

                                         Ken Whiton

     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: Flash won't play nice (?)

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 1/29/2008 3:29 PM, John Thompson wrote:

> On 2008-01-29, Paul B. Gallagher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> John Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Mozilla products do not support ActiveX, which is a proprietary
>>> Microsoft technology.
>> I was aware of that. So how come it plays OK for Irwin Greenwald?
>>
>> He reports his configuration thus:
>> FF2.0.0.11 Flash 9.0 r115 on Win XP SF2
>
> Is he perhaps using a third-party extension, e.g. "IE View" or suchlike?

No.  I have flashblock enabled and it is necessary to click on the
bottom flash entry several times to get the larger window to play.

--
Irwin