First-World Hypocrisy

1234 ... 12

First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
REF:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

[excerpt quote="
However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices often
labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those plants,
worker advocates and documents published by companies themselves.
Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and serious —
sometimes deadly — safety problems.
" /]

We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how shiny
and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye to the
human costs that went into it.

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence

It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Charles Wilson-13
On 1/26/2012 2:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
>
> [excerpt quote="
> However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices often
> labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those plants,
> worker advocates and documents published by companies themselves.
> Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and serious —
> sometimes deadly — safety problems.
> " /]
>
> We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how shiny
> and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye to the
> human costs that went into it.
>
> REF:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence
>
> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society
> but instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early
> grave, it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.

Ain't life grand!

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Charles Wilson graced us with on
1/26/2012 1:39 PM:

> On 1/26/2012 2:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices often
>> labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those plants,
>> worker advocates and documents published by companies themselves.
>> Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and serious —
>> sometimes deadly — safety problems.
>> " /]
>>
>> We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how shiny
>> and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye to the
>> human costs that went into it.
>>
>> REF:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence
>>

>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society
>> but instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early
>> grave, it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>
> Ain't life grand!

It's especially so experiencing it with blind folders on.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

RAV-2
On 1/26/2012 3:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
>

> [excerpt quote="
> However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices often
> labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those plants,
> worker advocates and documents published by companies themselves.
> Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and serious —
> sometimes deadly — safety problems.
> " /]
>
> We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how shiny
> and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye to the
> human costs that went into it.
>
> REF:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence
>

> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.

One interesting take on Apple in China is Mike Daisey's great monologue
play, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs.  I highly recommend the
play, not just for it's particular content, but Mike Daisey is a very
funny (and serious) guy.  Just one review of it can be found at

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/theater/reviews/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy-of-steve-jobs-review.html

Another, where I saw it, is at

http://woollymammoth.net/performances/show_steve_jobs.php

If you're interested in more about Mike Daisey himself, see

http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 1/26/2012
1:43 PM:

> On 1/26/2012 3:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices often
>> labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those plants,
>> worker advocates and documents published by companies themselves.
>> Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and serious —
>> sometimes deadly — safety problems.
>> " /]
>>
>> We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how shiny
>> and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye to the
>> human costs that went into it.
>>
>> REF:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence
>>

>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>

> One interesting take on Apple in China is Mike Daisey's great monologue
> play, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs.  I highly recommend the
> play, not just for it's particular content, but Mike Daisey is a very
> funny (and serious) guy.  Just one review of it can be found at
>
> http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/theater/reviews/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy-of-steve-jobs-review.html
>

> Another, where I saw it, is at
>
> http://woollymammoth.net/performances/show_steve_jobs.php
>
> If you're interested in more about Mike Daisey himself, see
>
> http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com/

Good stuff.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

The Real Bev
On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.

Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
can get.  If it isn't, why do they do it?

Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
unskilled workers?  The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
about forced sterilization?

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Ron Hunter
On 1/26/2012 7:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>
> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>
> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
> about forced sterilization?

I wonder if all the people complaining about children in third world
countries working for tiny wages ever consider that those wages are all
that stands between them, and their families starving to death.  So,
tell the companies they can't employ the child labor, and let the
children, and their families, starve.  Now that's humane?

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
1/26/2012 5:45 PM:

> On 1/26/2012 7:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>
>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>
>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
>> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
>> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
>> about forced sterilization?
>>
> I wonder if all the people complaining about children in third world
> countries working for tiny wages ever consider that those wages are all
> that stands between them, and their families starving to death.  So,
> tell the companies they can't employ the child labor, and let the
> children, and their families, starve.  Now that's humane?

Non sequitur and a strawman. If you've ever studied Blake you'd know
that money wasn't the issue.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
1/26/2012 5:36 PM:

> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>
> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
> can get.  If it isn't, why do they do it?
>
> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
> unskilled workers?  The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
> about forced sterilization?

I have a problem with business exporting jobs for the cheap labor,
partly due to the abhorrent working conditions and then reaping huge
profits from first world citizen who willingly turn a blind eye to these
abuses. I understand the need for emerging economies to have work for
their citizen but the least the Apples in this world could do is demand
working conditions that are humane.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

PhillipJones
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Charles Wilson graced us with on
> 1/26/2012 1:39 PM:
>> On 1/26/2012 2:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> However, the workers assembling iPhones, iPads and other devices
>>> often labor in harsh conditions, according to employees inside those
>>> plants, worker advocates and documents published by companies
>>> themselves. Problems are as varied as onerous work environments and
>>> serious — sometimes deadly — safety problems.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> We marvel at our artificial seductive 411 voice operator and how
>>> shiny and cool our new fondle-slab is but willingly turn a blind eye
>>> to the human costs that went into it.
>>>
>>> REF:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience#Songs_of_Innocence
>>>

>>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society
>>> but instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early
>>> grave, it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>>
>> Ain't life grand!
>
> It's especially so experiencing it with blind folders on.

Isn't that Blinders  (refers to the devices put on a Horses to limit
visibility to the road ahead).

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on
1/26/2012 8:17 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Charles Wilson graced us with on

>>> Ain't life grand!
>>
>> It's especially so experiencing it with blind folders on.
>>
> Isn't that Blinders  (refers to the devices put on a Horses to limit
> visibility to the road ahead).

Yeah, fingers engage, brain disengaged :_)

The Real Bev wrote:

> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>
> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>
> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
> about forced sterilization?

Because Chairman Moua or whomever is power tells them to or the will be
summarily shot along with all their family members. Remember we are
talking about a communist country, that places no value on any type of
life including human life. Everything done is for the good of the people
running the country.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on
1/26/2012 8:24 PM:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>
>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>
>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
>> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
>> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
>> about forced sterilization?
>>
> Because Chairman Moua or whomever is power tells them to or the will be
> summarily shot along with all their family members. Remember we are
> talking about a communist country, that places no value on any type of
> life including human life. Everything done is for the good of the people
> running the country.

Another strawman.

Here's how to change the situation. If just 15% of the Apple fan boys
would petition Apple and demand that they demand working conditions on
par with what we have in the US or they'll stop buying their products
out of embarrassment, believe me, Apple would fork over some of that
humongous unit profit they are hording in foreign bank accounts on and
use it to ensure that their suppliers use that money to improve their
workers safety. Will Apple users do that? Nah, they don't give a damn as
long as they can get the latest fondleslab and brag about how cool Apple is.

The ChiComs would not interfere for fear that Apple may decide to take
their dollars and demands elsewhere like, Malaysia or Indian, and be
sure they'd get it.

On 1/26/2012 9:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 1/26/2012 5:45 PM:

>>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>>
>>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
>>> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
>>> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
>>> about forced sterilization?
>>>
>> I wonder if all the people complaining about children in third world
>> countries working for tiny wages ever consider that those wages are
>> all that stands between them, and their families starving to death.
>> So, tell the companies they can't employ the child labor, and let the
>> children, and their families, starve. Now that's humane?
>>
> Non sequitur and a strawman. If you've ever studied Blake you'd know
> that money wasn't the issue.

It may not be to Blake, but to the children involved, starvation is a
very real issue.

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Ron Hunter
On 1/26/2012 10:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 1/26/2012 5:36 PM:
>> On 01/26/2012 12:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> It's almost like we're reliving William Blake's 18th Century society but
>>> instead of children chimney sweeps being condemned to an early grave,
>>> it's the faceless Chinese multitudes paying for our treats.
>>
>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>
>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a
>> reason. What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing
>> population of unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out
>> too well, what about forced sterilization?
>>
> I have a problem with business exporting jobs for the cheap labor,
> partly due to the abhorrent working conditions and then reaping huge
> profits from first world citizen who willingly turn a blind eye to these
> abuses. I understand the need for emerging economies to have work for
> their citizen but the least the Apples in this world could do is demand
> working conditions that are humane.

A hundred years ago, working conditions in the US weren't all that good.
  Such changes as we have seen here need to come from efforts within the
workforce.  Shutting down the places doesn't solve anything, only
exacerbates the poverty, giving the people no chance at all to improve.
Sometimes there is pain, and misery, for some time in order to get
something important done.  Ask any woman who has children.

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Ron Hunter
On 1/26/2012 10:48 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on
> 1/26/2012 8:24 PM:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>>
>>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a reason.
>>> What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing population of
>>> unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out too well, what
>>> about forced sterilization?
>>>
>> Because Chairman Moua or whomever is power tells them to or the will
>> be summarily shot along with all their family members. Remember we are
>> talking about a communist country, that places no value on any type of
>> life including human life. Everything done is for the good of the
>> people running the country.
>>
> Another strawman.
>
> Here's how to change the situation. If just 15% of the Apple fan boys
> would petition Apple and demand that they demand working conditions on
> par with what we have in the US or they'll stop buying their products
> out of embarrassment, believe me, Apple would fork over some of that
> humongous unit profit they are hording in foreign bank accounts on and
> use it to ensure that their suppliers use that money to improve their
> workers safety. Will Apple users do that? Nah, they don't give a damn as
> long as they can get the latest fondleslab and brag about how cool Apple
> is.
>
> The ChiComs would not interfere for fear that Apple may decide to take
> their dollars and demands elsewhere like, Malaysia or Indian, and be
> sure they'd get it.

Businesses in many cases are quite unaware of the details, only the
bottom line.

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
1/27/2012 12:28 AM:

> On 1/26/2012 9:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I wonder if all the people complaining about children in third world
>>> countries working for tiny wages ever consider that those wages are
>>> all that stands between them, and their families starving to death.
>>> So, tell the companies they can't employ the child labor, and let the
>>> children, and their families, starve. Now that's humane?
>>>
>> Non sequitur and a strawman. If you've ever studied Blake you'd know
>> that money wasn't the issue.
>>
> It may not be to Blake, but to the children involved, starvation is a
> very real issue.

Do you even think about your response before sending it. The way I read
that is that the starving Chinese workers should be grateful for us
westerners for giving them half-pence on the dollar wages and horrid
working conditions. At least they won't starve. Sure, they'll have a
short life, maybe lose a limb or two and their end of life experience
will be painful and ugly but ... Hey, look! a squirrel!

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
1/27/2012 12:31 AM:

> On 1/26/2012 10:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on

>>> Consider that this may be the BEST job the kids -- or their parents --
>>> can get. If it isn't, why do they do it?
>>>
>>> Not that it's right, but the third world is called 'third' for a
>>> reason. What is China expected to do with an ever-increasing
>>> population of unskilled workers? The one-child thing isn't working out
>>> too well, what about forced sterilization?
>>>
>> I have a problem with business exporting jobs for the cheap labor,
>> partly due to the abhorrent working conditions and then reaping huge
>> profits from first world citizen who willingly turn a blind eye to these
>> abuses. I understand the need for emerging economies to have work for
>> their citizen but the least the Apples in this world could do is demand
>> working conditions that are humane.
>>
> A hundred years ago, working conditions in the US weren't all that good.
>  Such changes as we have seen here need to come from efforts within the
> workforce.  Shutting down the places doesn't solve anything, only
> exacerbates the poverty, giving the people no chance at all to improve.
> Sometimes there is pain, and misery, for some time in order to get
> something important done.  Ask any woman who has children.

That's a false choice. The people who buy Apple products have the power
to shame Apple into doing the right thing.

And, equating the pain natural child birth to man-made horrid working
conditions is a little freaky and a tad insensitive, methinks.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Sailfish-2
1/27/2012 12:34 AM:

> On 1/26/2012 10:48 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on

>>> Because Chairman Moua or whomever is power tells them to or the will
>>> be summarily shot along with all their family members. Remember we are
>>> talking about a communist country, that places no value on any type of
>>> life including human life. Everything done is for the good of the
>>> people running the country.
>>>
>> Another strawman.
>>
>> Here's how to change the situation. If just 15% of the Apple fan boys
>> would petition Apple and demand that they demand working conditions on
>> par with what we have in the US or they'll stop buying their products
>> out of embarrassment, believe me, Apple would fork over some of that
>> humongous unit profit they are hording in foreign bank accounts on and
>> use it to ensure that their suppliers use that money to improve their
>> workers safety. Will Apple users do that? Nah, they don't give a damn as
>> long as they can get the latest fondleslab and brag about how cool Apple
>> is.
>>
>> The ChiComs would not interfere for fear that Apple may decide to take
>> their dollars and demands elsewhere like, Malaysia or Indian, and be
>> sure they'd get it.
>>
> Businesses in many cases are quite unaware of the details, only the
> bottom line.

Oh, Apple was very much aware of this for quite some time but chose to
play the Three Mystic Monkeys game. I don't think history will be too
kind on Apple and Jobs when a full accounting of their despicable
business practices is made. You really should stop trying to be their
apologist.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: First-World Hypocrisy

Daniel-257
PhillipJones wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Charles Wilson graced us with on

>>> Ain't life grand!
>>
>> It's especially so experiencing it with blind folders on.
>>
> Isn't that Blinders (refers to the devices put on a Horses to limit
> visibility to the road ahead).

When I read Saltfish's post, I thought he meant "Blind Folds".

Then I read Phillip's reply and I thought he meant "Blinkers"!!

--
Daniel
1234 ... 12