First Draft of Quick Start Guide

Gervase Markham
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/bugzilla-quick-start
(It's reStructured Text, of course.)

I've run through the instructions using a local VirtualBox VM, and got
from 'bare metal' to running Bugzilla in 20 minutes, and that included 8
mins of OS install and some tweaks to the instructions along the way.

Please could all core Bugzilla hackers take 10 minutes to read it
through and add comments, particularly where I've marked it with XXX and
posed a question?

If we can get this as simple as possible, I think it will have a
significant effect on uptake of Bugzilla, and lead to a significant
reduction in installation-related questions :-)

Thanks!

Gerv
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: First Draft of Quick Start Guide

Colin Ogilvie

I can't easily comment on the Etherpad on my phone...

While I'm installing mmysql and apache as part of the apt-get command, I'm also meant to be configuring them in another terminal window? What happens if I get to that stage and something has not installed yet?

Colin

<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=bugzilla-read@...>

On 06/08/14 15:59, Colin Ogilvie wrote:
> While I'm installing mmysql and apache as part of the apt-get command, I'm
> also meant to be configuring them in another terminal window? What happens
> if I get to that stage and something has not installed yet?

Well spotted... the answer is that mysql and apache should both have
been installed as part of the initial OS installation, when you picked
"LAMP Server" as one of the server roles. They are in the apt-get
command just as a belt-and-braces thing, in case they get the earlier
bit wrong. If you think that's confusing, we could take them out.

Gerv

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>

Re: First Draft of Quick Start Guide

Cédric Corazza
Le 06/08/2014 12:57, Gervase Markham a écrit :

> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/bugzilla-quick-start
> (It's reStructured Text, of course.)
>
> I've run through the instructions using a local VirtualBox VM, and got
> from 'bare metal' to running Bugzilla in 20 minutes, and that included 8
> mins of OS install and some tweaks to the instructions along the way.
>
> Please could all core Bugzilla hackers take 10 minutes to read it
> through and add comments, particularly where I've marked it with XXX and
> posed a question?
>
> If we can get this as simple as possible, I think it will have a
> significant effect on uptake of Bugzilla, and lead to a significant
> reduction in installation-related questions :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gerv

Hi,
I have done a similar work for Debian distros but in French, though
command lines are the same :
http://www.bugzilla.fr/docs/quickinstall.html
and
http://www.bugzilla.fr/docs/cpanless.html

Cédric

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>