Firefox - reading current URL with Jaws - Minefield/3.0a8pre

Firefox - reading current URL with Jaws - Minefield/3.0a8pre

mozilla accessibility
This has been confusing for a long time. If I bring up the "load page"
dialog with control+l, or navigate to the address bar with alt+d, I often
don't hear the URL of the current page. Sometime I hear the URL of something
loaded in another tab. Sometimes I hear the URL of the last thing I went to
in the last session that was opened. The only way I know of to reliably hear
(and manipulate , i.e. copy for example) the current URL is control+u to
bring up the page source. The first line always contains the URL of the
current page (the page in the tab I was currently viewing when I pressed
control+u).

Is there something I'm missing here, or is this the way it is intended to
work?

Here's how Firefox describes itself:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre)
Gecko/2007091104 Minefield/3.0a8pre

Thanx much.
-- Rich

Re: Firefox - reading current URL with Jaws - Minefield/3.0a8pre

Victor Tsaran
Hi Rich,
I think this is a JAWS bug. I believe, it was fixed some time ago, but I think the shadow has returned.

> This has been confusing for a long time. If I bring up the
> "load page"
> dialog with control+l, or navigate to the address bar with
> alt+d, I often
> don't hear the URL of the current page. Sometime I hear
> the URL of something
> loaded in another tab. Sometimes I hear the URL of the last
> thing I went to
> in the last session that was opened. The only way I know of
> to reliably hear
> (and manipulate , i.e. copy for example) the current URL is
> control+u to
> bring up the page source. The first line always contains
> the URL of the
> current page (the page in the tab I was currently viewing
> when I pressed
> control+u).
>
> Is there something I'm missing here, or is this the way
> it is intended to
> work?
>
> Here's how Firefox describes itself:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.9a8pre)
> Gecko/2007091104 Minefield/3.0a8pre
>
> Thanx much.
> -- Rich

RE: Firefox - reading current URL with Jaws - Minefield/3.0a8pre

Pratik Patel-3
I'm afraid this bug was never fixed.  I've never been successfully able to
listen tothe ope location bar unless I navigated by words and characters.

Pratik

I think this is a JAWS bug. I believe, it was fixed some time ago, but I
think the shadow has returned.

> This has been confusing for a long time. If I bring up the
> "load page"
> dialog with control+l, or navigate to the address bar with
> alt+d, I often
> don't hear the URL of the current page. Sometime I hear
> the URL of something
> loaded in another tab. Sometimes I hear the URL of the last
> thing I went to
> in the last session that was opened. The only way I know of
> to reliably hear
> (and manipulate , i.e. copy for example) the current URL is
> control+u to
> bring up the page source. The first line always contains
> the URL of the
> current page (the page in the tab I was currently viewing
> when I pressed
> control+u).
>
> Is there something I'm missing here, or is this the way
> it is intended to
> work?
>
> Here's how Firefox describes itself:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.9a8pre)
> Gecko/2007091104 Minefield/3.0a8pre
>
> Thanx much.
> -- Rich

Re: Firefox - reading current URL with Jaws - Minefield/3.0a8pre

Tim Keenan
I believe this problem will be fixed in future versions of Jaws.