Firefox questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Firefox questions

rafe-2
yesterday I downloaded the latest Seamonkey and Firefox "official"
builds -- SeaMonkey 1.1.11 and Firefox 3.0.1 (the popup "About" window
for FireFox isn't large enough to show further release details).
first let me say a big thanks, since while I don't know very much
about s/w development, just having followed the progress of the
Mozilla OS/2 team, it's clear how much great work has gone into
keeping our platform as current as possible.

1) I'm going to miss printing but is it too much to hope that it's not
gone forever?  I've installed Lucide which is making viewing and
printing PDFs a little smoother than Ghostview, but it's still a bit
of a nuisance.

2) I'm impressed with the look of Firefox in particular, I guess
because it's using OS/2's own font rendering?  it's taking some
getting used to the difference.

3) FF is rather slower than previous versions (2.0.0.6 I think was the
previous I used.)  one peculiarity is an apparent unwillingness to
work in the background -- sometimes, if I get impatient because it's
not loading a page fast enough, I'll switch to another task on the
desktop to busy myself with while FF finishes fetching the weather
page.  however, unlike other releases, FF will more or less cease
loading the page until I switch back to it.  likewise, there is almost
always a lag when I am switching between tabs -- I usually have at
least 3 or 4 of these open, often as many as 8 or 9.

Seamonkey is considerably more responsive.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox questions

Steve Wendt
On 8/18/2008 7:46 AM, rafe wrote:

> yesterday I downloaded the latest Seamonkey and Firefox "official"
> builds -- SeaMonkey 1.1.11 and Firefox 3.0.1 (the popup "About" window
>
> 1) I'm going to miss printing

It's still there in Seamonkey 1.1.11.  ;-)

> is it too much to hope that it's not gone forever?

That really depends on whether someone with the necessary skills puts in
the effort to getting it working.

> 2) I'm impressed with the look of Firefox in particular, I guess
> because it's using OS/2's own font rendering?

No, it's using FreeType.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox questions

Peter Weilbacher
In reply to this post by rafe-2
rafe wrote:
> 3) FF is rather slower than previous versions (2.0.0.6 I think was the
> previous I used.)  one peculiarity is an apparent unwillingness to
> work in the background -- sometimes, if I get impatient because it's
> not loading a page fast enough, I'll switch to another task on the
> desktop to busy myself with while FF finishes fetching the weather
> page.  however, unlike other releases, FF will more or less cease
> loading the page until I switch back to it.

You could have some success if you remove the throbber on the menu bar
(the thing that rotates while loading a page). For some reason it takes
lots of CPU...

> likewise, there is almost
> always a lag when I am switching between tabs -- I usually have at
> least 3 or 4 of these open, often as many as 8 or 9.
>
> Seamonkey is considerably more responsive.

Yes, I can notice this, too, sometimes. I believe it is caused by the
rendering scheme through the cairo library and several improvements to
lower the overall memory usage. It therefore removes a lot of stuff from
memory while it is not used, and so if you switch back to a tab it needs
to recreate a few things (like re-decode JPEG images to OS/2 bitmaps).
I don't think there is anything that can be done about it but it should
really be a minor quirk and not take more than (a fraction of) a second.
--
Please     | Official Warpzilla Ports: http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/
reply in   |
newsgroup  |          Enhanced OS/2 builds: http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/
     Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2