Firefox problems

Jim S-2
I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
but they get a bit defensive over there.
Has anyone here had similar problems?
The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
I removed TMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going back
there or do these problems arise there too?
I'm on WinXP SP2
--
Jim S
         Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox problems

Terry R.
On 7/11/2007 12:37 PM On a whim, Jim S pounded out on the keyboard

> I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
> but they get a bit defensive over there.
> Has anyone here had similar problems?
> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
> I removed TMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
> I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going back
> there or do these problems arise there too?
> I'm on WinXP SP2

Hi Jim,

Is TM+ your only extension?  If not, start FF in Safe Mode (look in the
app folder in All Programs) and see if it still happens.  If not,
something else installed is causing the issue (theme, extension).

What you are experiencing is not typical by any means.

BTW, what do you mean, "they get a bit defensive over there"?

--
Terry R.

Re: Firefox problems

Jim S-2

> Hi Jim,
>
> Is TM+ your only extension?  If not, start FF in Safe Mode (look in the
> app folder in All Programs) and see if it still happens.  If not,
> something else installed is causing the issue (theme, extension).
>
> What you are experiencing is not typical by any means.
>
> BTW, what do you mean, "they get a bit defensive over there"?

I am an old git who has been using Firefox since it was called other things.
When I have a problem that I take 'over there', it is because I have tried
everything I know and it is the last resort.
I don't need to feel I have walked into a saloon full of gunslingers to ask
directions to the local temperance bar.
Paranoid? Me?
Nevertheless I shall try the Safe Mode.
If I don't come back, you will know I found what I was looking for.
Or got shot in the back.
--
Jim S
         Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox problems

"Fred W. <"
Jim S wrote:

> I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
> but they get a bit defensive over there.
> Has anyone here had similar problems?
> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
> I removed TMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
> I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going back
> there or do these problems arise there too?
> I'm on WinXP SP2

Not meaning to be beating a dead horse, but...

How are you shutting down Firefox?

The best procedure is to use the Exit command on the File menu.  Using
the "X" to close the window seems to increase the probability of leaving
a process running.

Re: Firefox problems

Jim S-2
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:09:07 -0500, Fred W. wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>> I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
>> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
>> but they get a bit defensive over there.
>> Has anyone here had similar problems?
>> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
>> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
>> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
>> I removed TMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
>> I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going back
>> there or do these problems arise there too?
>> I'm on WinXP SP2
>
> Not meaning to be beating a dead horse, but...
>
> How are you shutting down Firefox?
>
> The best procedure is to use the Exit command on the File menu.  Using
> the "X" to close the window seems to increase the probability of leaving
> a process running.

I saw that in an earlier post.
It will be hard to break the habit of the red-cross.
--
Jim S
         Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox problems

Terry R.
On 7/11/2007 2:09 PM On a whim, Fred W. > pounded out on the keyboard

> Jim S wrote:
>> I am getting more and more problems with Firefox (2.0.0.4), locking-up and
>> not closing after the window shuts. I have asked at mozilla.support.firefox,
>> but they get a bit defensive over there.
>> Has anyone here had similar problems?
>> The lock-up comes while loading several tabs simultaneously and I think
>> perhaps the program does not shut after that, but certainly I have tried to
>> open FF only to find that its running in the background already.
>> I removed TMix+ at someone's suggestion, but it has not helped.
>> I uninstalled SeaMonkey a while back and wondered if it is worth going back
>> there or do these problems arise there too?
>> I'm on WinXP SP2
>
> Not meaning to be beating a dead horse, but...
>
> How are you shutting down Firefox?
>
> The best procedure is to use the Exit command on the File menu.  Using
> the "X" to close the window seems to increase the probability of leaving
> a process running.

Hi Fred,

I would have to say that's a long shot, but I guess if it works for
some, WTH.

The X as you know means "Close".  There shouldn't be any difference
between the two.

--
Terry R.

Re: Firefox problems

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Terry R. wrote:
> The X as you know means "Close".  There shouldn't be any difference
> between the two.

but there is, especially if you're playing a video/audio
file, then if you use the X it will sometimes keep FF
running in the background.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Firefox problems

Moz Champion (Dan)
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Terry R. wrote:
>> The X as you know means "Close".  There shouldn't be any difference
>> between the two.
>
> but there is, especially if you're playing a video/audio file, then if
> you use the X it will sometimes keep FF running in the background.

The X means 'close' window, which does not necessarily exit the program.

The program will exit, IF, and only if, there are no processes running
other than the window - if there are processes running, then the program
does NOT exit or quit, just the window is closed.

This is relatively simple to 'see' on the Mac - because the 'menu' bar
is across the top of the screen on the Mac, vice across the top of the
window itself in Windows. So if you close all the windows, you can 'see'
the program is still running because its menu is still there. It is not
obvious on Windows.