Firefox logo ideas

Shane Anderson
Hi all

I tried to illustrate some ideas that I and others around here have had.
(WARNING: I am not a graphic artist.) The images can be found at the
following url:
http://webaim.org/temp/shane/

Idea #1
Firefox racer. This is a picture of a racing wheelchair with a Firefox logo
on it. My thinking on this one is that since the wheelchair symbol is still
the universal symbol for accessibility (no one has come up with a better
alternative). This idea is a cool alternative.

Idea #2
This image has six images denoting several disabilities. A graphic artist
could modify this image using the Firefox logo.

Idea #3
Firefox access. The idea here (if you can get past the elvish looking stick
figure) is that Firefox is accessible and operable with the senses. A real
graphic artist could use a less cheesy figure and maybe even add icons that
denote access methods for a particular sense ( e.g. braille icon by the eye
etc).

I also like Charles Chen's idea of the guide Firefox. I attempted a mock up
of this but I don't want to embarrass myself too much in one day.

Are there graphic artists working on this project yet? Or are we still
gathering ideas? I hope these ideas help.

Shane Anderson
WebAIM.org

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Steve Lee-3
Hey Shane I like #1 as it make something +ve out of the -ve old
symbol. However it would need to be made even simpler to work well.

I'm afraid you won't be able to use the OK sign as that's offensive in
some cultures. I only know this coz Ian Lynch ran into problems with
Nicu's original winning design for Otto (the OOo education mascot). He
now does a 'thumbs up' . There's more fun Otto images from Nicu on
http://ooo.nicubunu.ro/otto/; I like the light sabre fight with
clippy.

Steve Lee

On 10/28/06, Shane Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I tried to illustrate some ideas that I and others around here have had.
> (WARNING: I am not a graphic artist.) The images can be found at the
> following url:
> http://webaim.org/temp/shane/
>
> Idea #1
> Firefox racer. This is a picture of a racing wheelchair with a Firefox logo
> on it. My thinking on this one is that since the wheelchair symbol is still
> the universal symbol for accessibility (no one has come up with a better
> alternative). This idea is a cool alternative.
>
> Idea #2
> This image has six images denoting several disabilities. A graphic artist
> could modify this image using the Firefox logo.
>
> Idea #3
> Firefox access. The idea here (if you can get past the elvish looking stick
> figure) is that Firefox is accessible and operable with the senses. A real
> graphic artist could use a less cheesy figure and maybe even add icons that
> denote access methods for a particular sense ( e.g. braille icon by the eye
> etc).
>
> I also like Charles Chen's idea of the guide Firefox. I attempted a mock up
> of this but I don't want to embarrass myself too much in one day.
>
> Are there graphic artists working on this project yet? Or are we still
> gathering ideas? I hope these ideas help.
>
> Shane Anderson
> WebAIM.org

-- Steve Lee
www.fullmeasure.co.uk

Re: Firefox logo ideas

David Bolter
I like #3  ;-)

What about the 3Dish firefox/world logo with a 3D glass box covering
it... and something coming down and breaking the glass?  or perhaps the
glass cover being raised off and way?   (theme: providing access)

or to take it further... on more of a universal access theme...

how about the fox raising the glass from over the world?  or removing a
cover/blanket?  or opening a door with the world shown beyond?  in other
words firefox providing access to the world...

...or the fox opening a trench coat like a watch salesman but instead of
watches there are all the different accessibility logos in #2 (from
Shane's link).

disclaimer:  I'm kind of doped on cough syrup.  If any of these ideas
have already been suggested... my apologies.

cheers,
David

Shane Anderson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I tried to illustrate some ideas that I and others around here have had.
> (WARNING: I am not a graphic artist.) The images can be found at the
> following url:
> http://webaim.org/temp/shane/
>
> Idea #1
> Firefox racer. This is a picture of a racing wheelchair with a Firefox
> logo
> on it. My thinking on this one is that since the wheelchair symbol is
> still
> the universal symbol for accessibility (no one has come up with a better
> alternative). This idea is a cool alternative.
>
> Idea #2
> This image has six images denoting several disabilities. A graphic artist
> could modify this image using the Firefox logo.
>
> Idea #3
> Firefox access. The idea here (if you can get past the elvish looking
> stick
> figure) is that Firefox is accessible and operable with the senses. A
> real
> graphic artist could use a less cheesy figure and maybe even add icons
> that
> denote access methods for a particular sense ( e.g. braille icon by
> the eye
> etc).
>
> I also like Charles Chen's idea of the guide Firefox. I attempted a
> mock up
> of this but I don't want to embarrass myself too much in one day.
>
> Are there graphic artists working on this project yet? Or are we still
> gathering ideas? I hope these ideas help.
>
> Shane Anderson
> WebAIM.org

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Jon Gibbins (dotjay)
Shane Anderson wrote:
> I also like Charles Chen's idea of the guide Firefox. I attempted a mock up
> of this but I don't want to embarrass myself too much in one day.

I decided to have a play with Charles' idea myself:
http://www.dotjay.co.uk/external/mozilla/a11y/logo/

My graphic design skills aren't great either, but you get the picture.

Jon

--
www.november5th.net
www.dotjay.co.uk

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Jon Gibbins (dotjay)
David Bolter wrote:
> how about the fox raising the glass from over the world?  or removing a
> cover/blanket?  or opening a door with the world shown beyond?  in other
> words firefox providing access to the world...

I can see this with the fox as magician doing a "ta-da" pose, as if it
has just whipped a black cloth from the World Wide Web!

Jon

Re: Firefox logo ideas

David Bolter
Jon Gibbins (dotjay) wrote:
> David Bolter wrote:
>> how about the fox raising the glass from over the world?  or removing
>> a cover/blanket?  or opening a door with the world shown beyond?  in
>> other words firefox providing access to the world...
>
> I can see this with the fox as magician doing a "ta-da" pose, as if it
> has just whipped a black cloth from the World Wide Web!

...and maybe a top hat off to the side with the thunderbird peaking out
;-)  ... or maybe the thunderbird is the assistant with the cloth in its
talons.

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Aaron Leventhal-3
I do like the sports theme.

Actually Mouserunner (Ken Saunders) is working on some
ideas. We're trying to get him back subscribed to this list
so he can partake in the conversation.

I asked him to mock up Firefox in an accessible sports
theme, but skiing not wheeled racing. I believe he's working
on some of the other iconish ideas as well.

- Aaron

Re: Firefox logo ideas

David hilbert Poehlman
I love all of this.  We would get it but would the rest of the world?

On Oct 28, 2006, at 1:37 PM, David Bolter wrote:

Jon Gibbins (dotjay) wrote:
> David Bolter wrote:
>> how about the fox raising the glass from over the world?  or
>> removing a cover/blanket?  or opening a door with the world shown
>> beyond?  in other words firefox providing access to the world...
>
> I can see this with the fox as magician doing a "ta-da" pose, as if
> it has just whipped a black cloth from the World Wide Web!

...and maybe a top hat off to the side with the thunderbird peaking
out ;-)  ... or maybe the thunderbird is the assistant with the cloth
in its talons.

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Charles Chen-2
Well, I might as well jump on the bandwagon.

This is a rough cut of my idea:
http://firevox.clcworld.net/images/rough.png

The fur on the fox needs some major work (being drawn at all for
starters), and the stick figure's body and arms could benefit from some
gradient filling. Still, this pretty much represents what was going on
in my head when I made my suggestion. One thing different from my
initial idea is the usage of the Deer Park globe for the head of the
stick figure (as well as using the same style for the body and arms). I
did this because doing a generic stick figure didn't seem right; using
the world for the figure also has a nice effect of adding some more
positive meanings into the picture such as Firefox being a browser for
everyone in the world and Firefox leading the world forward in
accessibility.

-Charles

> Hi all
>
> I tried to illustrate some ideas that I and others around here have had.
> (WARNING: I am not a graphic artist.) The images can be found at the
> following url:
> http://webaim.org/temp/shane/
>
> Idea #1
> Firefox racer. This is a picture of a racing wheelchair with a Firefox logo
> on it. My thinking on this one is that since the wheelchair symbol is still
> the universal symbol for accessibility (no one has come up with a better
> alternative). This idea is a cool alternative.
>
> Idea #2
> This image has six images denoting several disabilities. A graphic artist
> could modify this image using the Firefox logo.
>
> Idea #3
> Firefox access. The idea here (if you can get past the elvish looking stick
> figure) is that Firefox is accessible and operable with the senses. A real
> graphic artist could use a less cheesy figure and maybe even add icons that
> denote access methods for a particular sense ( e.g. braille icon by the eye
> etc).
>
> I also like Charles Chen's idea of the guide Firefox. I attempted a mock up
> of this but I don't want to embarrass myself too much in one day.
>
> Are there graphic artists working on this project yet? Or are we still
> gathering ideas? I hope these ideas help.
>
> Shane Anderson
> WebAIM.org

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Calum Benson

On 28 Oct 2006, at 07:00, Steve Lee wrote:

> Hey Shane I like #1 as it make something +ve out of the -ve old
> symbol. However it would need to be made even simpler to work well.
>
> I'm afraid you won't be able to use the OK sign as that's offensive in
> some cultures. I only know this coz Ian Lynch ran into problems with
> Nicu's original winning design for Otto (the OOo education mascot). He
> now does a 'thumbs up' .

Did anyone tell him what 'thumbs up' means to many Middle Easterners...?

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:[hidden email]            Java Desktop System Team

Re: Firefox logo ideas

Håkan Waara
I like #1 as well. Some spin-off ideas on that theme:

* Maybe we could see the racer from the right instead, with his wheel
"turned" to the camera, to make the Firefox symbol more visible?
(Think http://tinyurl.com/y4m2yz)

* Another idea would be to have the Fox itself sit in a wheelchair.
In the main Firefox logo, the Fox is actually the one browsing the
world, as I interpret it.

So conceptually, it might make more sense to associate the Fox with
the user, rather than to make it the user's guide fox. ;)

dev-accessibility mailing list