Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
Something seems to have changed in the security arrangements of
mozilla.org between last night and today. When I try to access the
site for Get More Extensions or Get Mory Themes, the address field
turns yellow, and a padlock is displayed at the righthand end of that
field.

I assume this doesn't mean that my Firefox v1.07 has jaundice and is
quarantined, but has something to do with validation. I do not
understand the options for validation, and I do not see an offer of
Help for this. At the moment (and since Hector was a pup), the button
marked "Use OCSP (what?) to validate only certificates that specify an
OCSP service URL". I already know that "Don't use OCSP for certificate
validation" doesn't help. "Use OCSP to validate all certificates using
this URL and signer" presents me with a daunting list from which I am
at a loss to choose.

Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What do I have to do?

Why today and not yesterday?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Jeroen Besse
Stan Goodman wrote:

> Something seems to have changed in the security arrangements of
> mozilla.org between last night and today. When I try to access the
> site for Get More Extensions or Get Mory Themes, the address field
> turns yellow, and a padlock is displayed at the righthand end of that
> field.
>
> I assume this doesn't mean that my Firefox v1.07 has jaundice and is
> quarantined, but has something to do with validation. I do not
> understand the options for validation, and I do not see an offer of
> Help for this. At the moment (and since Hector was a pup), the button
> marked "Use OCSP (what?) to validate only certificates that specify an
> OCSP service URL". I already know that "Don't use OCSP for certificate
> validation" doesn't help. "Use OCSP to validate all certificates using
> this URL and signer" presents me with a daunting list from which I am
> at a loss to choose.
>
> Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What do I have to do?
>
> Why today and not yesterday?

Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
works for me.

--
Best regards,
Jeroen Besse

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:13:42 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
opined:

> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > Something seems to have changed in the security arrangements of
> > mozilla.org between last night and today. When I try to access the
> > site for Get More Extensions or Get Mory Themes, the address field
> > turns yellow, and a padlock is displayed at the righthand end of that
> > field.
> >
> > I assume this doesn't mean that my Firefox v1.07 has jaundice and is
> > quarantined, but has something to do with validation. I do not
> > understand the options for validation, and I do not see an offer of
> > Help for this. At the moment (and since Hector was a pup), the button
> > marked "Use OCSP (what?) to validate only certificates that specify an
> > OCSP service URL". I already know that "Don't use OCSP for certificate
> > validation" doesn't help. "Use OCSP to validate all certificates using
> > this URL and signer" presents me with a daunting list from which I am
> > at a loss to choose.
> >
> > Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What do I have to do?
> >
> > Why today and not yesterday?
> >

> Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
> Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
> However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
> works for me.

Yes, it is https.

I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
"waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
what. It didn't act like that yesterday.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Stan Goodman wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:13:42 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
> opined:
>
>>Stan Goodman wrote:
>>
>>>Something seems to have changed in the security arrangements of
>>>mozilla.org between last night and today. When I try to access the
>>>site for Get More Extensions or Get Mory Themes, the address field
>>>turns yellow, and a padlock is displayed at the righthand end of that
>>>field.
>>>
>>>I assume this doesn't mean that my Firefox v1.07 has jaundice and is
>>>quarantined, but has something to do with validation. I do not
>>>understand the options for validation, and I do not see an offer of
>>>Help for this. At the moment (and since Hector was a pup), the button
>>>marked "Use OCSP (what?) to validate only certificates that specify an
>>>OCSP service URL". I already know that "Don't use OCSP for certificate
>>>validation" doesn't help. "Use OCSP to validate all certificates using
>>>this URL and signer" presents me with a daunting list from which I am
>>>at a loss to choose.
>>>
>>>Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What do I have to do?
>>>
>>>Why today and not yesterday?
>>>

>>Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
>>Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
>>However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
>>works for me.
>

> Yes, it is https.
>
> I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
> The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
> CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
> "waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
> long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
> though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
> addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
> lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
> The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
> something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
> what. It didn't act like that yesterday.

IF you are using a personal firewall on your machine, you'll maybe have
to lower it as my Mozilla does not honor proxies for this URL.  Once I
lowered the firewall, the page loaded right up.  Mozilla 1.7.12.  No cpu
pegging, either.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Stan Goodman wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:13:42 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
> opined:
>> Stan Goodman wrote:
>>> Something seems to have changed in the security arrangements of
>>> mozilla.org between last night and today. When I try to access the
>>> site for Get More Extensions or Get Mory Themes, the address field
>>> turns yellow, and a padlock is displayed at the righthand end of that
>>> field.
>>>
>>> I assume this doesn't mean that my Firefox v1.07 has jaundice and is
>>> quarantined, but has something to do with validation. I do not
>>> understand the options for validation, and I do not see an offer of
>>> Help for this. At the moment (and since Hector was a pup), the button
>>> marked "Use OCSP (what?) to validate only certificates that specify an
>>> OCSP service URL". I already know that "Don't use OCSP for certificate
>>> validation" doesn't help. "Use OCSP to validate all certificates using
>>> this URL and signer" presents me with a daunting list from which I am
>>> at a loss to choose.
>>>
>>> Or am I on the wrong track altogether? What do I have to do?
>>>
>>> Why today and not yesterday?
>>>
>> Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
>> Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
>> However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
>> works for me.
>
> Yes, it is https.
>
> I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
> The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
> CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
> "waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
> long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
> though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
> addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
> lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
> The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
> something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
> what. It didn't act like that yesterday.

I must've been lucky with the URL I gave you. It now took me 3 tries
before the page came up. Sub-categories didn't show, even after 10-20
tries. Something indeed is broken here, but I can't tell whether it's
the site or the browser.

--
Best regards,
Jeroen Besse
http://rblcheck.besse.nl/
(to contact me: the nospam address actually exists)

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:00:36 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
opined:

> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:13:42 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
> > opined:

> >> Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
> >> Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
> >> However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
> >> works for me.
> >
> > Yes, it is https.
> >
> > I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
> > The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
> > CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
> > "waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
> > long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
> > though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
> > addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
> > lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
> > The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
> > something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
> > what. It didn't act like that yesterday.
>
> I must've been lucky with the URL I gave you. It now took me 3 tries
> before the page came up. Sub-categories didn't show, even after 10-20
> tries. Something indeed is broken here, but I can't tell whether it's
> the site or the browser.

No, it's not the browser, it's them. We're using two different
releases (v1.07 here), we're in two different places, and we both see
the exact same thing. I'm relieved.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:57:29 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Sir:
>
> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:13:42 UTC, Jeroen Besse <[hidden email]>
> > opined:

> >>Yellow, and the lock, means you visit it through https.
> >>Get more extensions doesn't work for me, either (with FF 1.5b2).
> >>However, https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
> >>works for me.
> >

> > Yes, it is https.
> >
> > I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
> > The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
> > CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
> > "waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
> > long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
> > though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
> > addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
> > lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
> > The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
> > something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
> > what. It didn't act like that yesterday.
> >
> IF you are using a personal firewall on your machine, you'll maybe have
> to lower it as my Mozilla does not honor proxies for this URL.  Once I
> lowered the firewall, the page loaded right up.  Mozilla 1.7.12.  No cpu
> pegging, either.

The router (ZyXel Prestige-300) has a sort of a firewall in it; there
is no software firewall and no proxy. Once I get on to the site (which
requires much patience), there is no pegging, but when I call for the
following page, usage hovers around 40 - 50% until it makes the
transition. I have no clue what it is doing with the CPU, as there is
no traffic until it gets done pondering and actually goes to load the

And all this is new. As I have said, yesterday the site was very
normal. They have changed something. It looks like they have it on an
XT now. On floppies.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Lewis Rosenthal
Got right in with Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
Gecko/20051021 SeaMonkey/1.1a Mnenhy/0.7.2.0 via Squid (and also
direct). No CPU issues whatsoever.

An extension, perhaps, Stan?

On 10/24/2005 06:47 pm, Stan Goodman thus wrote :

<snip>

> [...]

<snip>

>>> Yes, it is https.
>>>
>>> I get exactly the same unusable reaction with the URL you give above:
>>> The main page for extensions (or themes) comes up, while driving the
>>> CPU meter to the pin. When I choose a category, the status line says
>>> "waiting for addons.mozilla.org..." for many minutes (I didn't wait
>>> long enough when I wrote earlier), and the CPU usage is 40 - 45%,
>>> though it is doing nothing. Then "transferring data from
>>> addons.mozilla.org..." for many more minutes. To progress through the
>>> lists for the new profile I am making would occupy my time for a week.
>>> The site is unusable for any practical purpose. But if you see
>>> something different, then something is wrong here, though I don't know
>>> what. It didn't act like that yesterday.

<snip>

> And all this is new. As I have said, yesterday the site was very
> normal. They have changed something. It looks like they have it on an
> XT now. On floppies.

LOL!! ;-)

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:05:04 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
<[hidden email]> opined:
> Got right in with Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
> Gecko/20051021 SeaMonkey/1.1a Mnenhy/0.7.2.0 via Squid (and also
> direct). No CPU issues whatsoever.
>
> An extension, perhaps, Stan?

UMpossible. At the time, there were no extensions. I had made a new
profile, and wanted to install some, so there were no extensions to
blame.

In spite of the slowness, I continued with paging through the
All-Extensions list, until about 0200 local, when the speed became
erratic -- sometimes the next page came up quickly, and sometimes took
forever; then things settled down to a consistent reasonable speed.
Yesterday, I went into the same site to install a non-cutesy, grownup
theme. The Themes main page came up quickly, but the list that I
wanted took much time to display. As before, during the waiting time
there is no disk activity and no traffic to the net, but the CPU usage
is about 50%.

The browser has been giving me other problems recently, which is why I
made the new profile (which didn't help). About half the time, when I
close Firefox, its desktop object continues to be hatched, indicating
that it is still running (although it doesn't show in the Task List).
When this happens, Firefox cannot be started again until a reboot; and
often the system cannot be shut down by the usual xWorkplace method,
but the "eXtended shutdown..." object in the xWorkplace Installation
folder always works.

This problem has survived browser updates (v1.04 to 1.07), and now
even a profile change. What's left?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Lewis Rosenthal
I might try a fresh install over your old one (or save a backup of your
program directory into a different one). Meanwhile, I have some
interesting results/contrasts to add to the mix:

Opening https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox from
SeaMonkey behaves as expected (per my earlier post). I get similar
results from FF 1.0.7, however...:

Going to https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox also
seems to open in roughly the same amount of time in both browsers.

Clicking on the link for Noia 2.0 (eXtreme),
https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?id=72&application=firefox,
SeaMonkey immediately renders the page, whereas FF just stalls. The same
behavior seems to apply to other themes on that list, as well.

Interestingly, the site appears to behave normally in FF 1.0.7 under
W2K. I haven't tried it under Linux as yet.

On 10/26/2005 06:18 am, Stan Goodman thus wrote :

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:05:04 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
> <[hidden email]> opined:
>> Got right in with Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
>> Gecko/20051021 SeaMonkey/1.1a Mnenhy/0.7.2.0 via Squid (and also
>> direct). No CPU issues whatsoever.
>>
>> An extension, perhaps, Stan?
>
> UMpossible. At the time, there were no extensions. I had made a new
> profile, and wanted to install some, so there were no extensions to
> blame.
>
> In spite of the slowness, I continued with paging through the
> All-Extensions list, until about 0200 local, when the speed became
> erratic -- sometimes the next page came up quickly, and sometimes took
> forever; then things settled down to a consistent reasonable speed.
> Yesterday, I went into the same site to install a non-cutesy, grownup
> theme. The Themes main page came up quickly, but the list that I
> wanted took much time to display. As before, during the waiting time
> there is no disk activity and no traffic to the net, but the CPU usage
> is about 50%.
>
> The browser has been giving me other problems recently, which is why I
> made the new profile (which didn't help). About half the time, when I
> close Firefox, its desktop object continues to be hatched, indicating
> that it is still running (although it doesn't show in the Task List).
> When this happens, Firefox cannot be started again until a reboot; and
> often the system cannot be shut down by the usual xWorkplace method,
> but the "eXtended shutdown..." object in the xWorkplace Installation
> folder always works.
>
> This problem has survived browser updates (v1.04 to 1.07), and now
> even a profile change. What's left?

<snip>
--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Lewis Rosenthal
More interesting stuff, Stan. addons.mozilla.org is among the top listed
sites at reporter.mozilla.org:

http://reporter.mozilla.org/app/query/?host_hostname=addons.mozilla.org&submit_query=true

Scan through some of the comments there. Looks like you're in good
company...

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:50:19 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
<[hidden email]> opined:

> I might try a fresh install over your old one (or save a backup of your
> program directory into a different one). Meanwhile, I have some
> interesting results/contrasts to add to the mix:
>
> Opening https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox from
> SeaMonkey behaves as expected (per my earlier post). I get similar
> results from FF 1.0.7, however...:

This is not clear. Similar to what I reported?

> Going to https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox also
> seems to open in roughly the same amount of time in both browsers.
>
> Clicking on the link for Noia 2.0 (eXtreme),
> https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?id=72&application=firefox,
> SeaMonkey immediately renders the page, whereas FF just stalls. The same
> behavior seems to apply to other themes on that list, as well.

If you wait long enough (if my experience is a guide) it will get
unstuck, and procede to download. Depending on a person's other time
commitments, this is equivalent to stalling.

Perhaps the bug, whatever it is, will be fixed in FF v1.5GA. In the
meantime, I'll start using Mozilla.

> Interestingly, the site appears to behave normally in FF 1.0.7 under
> W2K. I haven't tried it under Linux as yet.

Actually, the more serious problem here is the matter of leaving
something in memory that causes the system to think it is still
running, and that stops the system from shutting down. If the
corruption isn't in Firefox proper and isn't in the profile, both of
which have been updated since the problem appeared, I don't know where
to look.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:58:37 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
<[hidden email]> opined:
> More interesting stuff, Stan. addons.mozilla.org is among the top listed
> sites at reporter.mozilla.org:
>
> http://reporter.mozilla.org/app/query/?host_hostname=addons.mozilla.org&submit_query=true
>
> Scan through some of the comments there. Looks like you're in good
> company...

Misery loves company. The more co-sufferers the better -- gives hope
that somebody may address the problem.

It _is_ something new. A day or so before I noticed the problem, I
visited the site and it was behaving normally.

But of course one doesn't use the Extensions and Themes sites every
day. The other problem, which I haven't seen anyone else report, so it
must be local corruption, is much more troublesome. What I haven't
done is to reinstall Firefox to a new directory (previously, I
installed over the existing version). Perhaps that will clear it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Michael Strickland
On 26 Oct 2005 21:31:24 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:

>Actually, the more serious problem here is the matter of leaving
>something in memory that causes the system to think it is still
>running, and that stops the system from shutting down. If the
>corruption isn't in Firefox proper and isn't in the profile, both of
>which have been updated since the problem appeared, I don't know where
>to look.

I, too, have run across a problem shutting down (eCS 1.2 beta, but not public
release). Dunno the cause, not sure if it correlates to upgrading FF to 1.07,
but seems like it started sometime after that upgrade. I thought that maybe
the problem was the old SETI client running under Ellie, but that's not the
problem as far as I can tell.

I have found that if I choose shutdown several times, eCS will USUALLY (but
not always) finish the shutdown - usually 3 times is the charm. The other
day, before I discovered that multiple shutdowns would work, I wound up with
a corrupted FF profile. I chose shutdown and when it didn't work, I waited
for no HD activity and did CAD. On reboot Checkdisk fixed allocation errors
in 3 profile files (don't recall the names offhand) and FF wouldn't work
anymore. Maybe you are correct in that FF isn't shutting down completely.

I've looked for apps still running after closing them using SwapMonitor's
process list before choosing shutdown, but haven't found anything. Everything
seems to be closed, but eCS still won't shut down.

When I wound up with a corrupted profile, I went to the Extensions page to
reinstall my extensions into a new profile. I also saw the slow access to
Extensions (main page and category pages) - haven't looked at Themes. Found
that if I did a search for an extension, sometimes results would come up,
other times an error, but doing the search again would work (sometimes
slowly). Same thing with choosing a search result - sometimes the extension
page would come up, other times error, but going back and re-clicking the
extension name from search results usually worked (again, sometimes slowly).
Seems strange to me - never had such behavior before.

Mike

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Stan Goodman
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:13:58 UTC, "Michael Strickland"
<[hidden email]> opined:

> On 26 Oct 2005 21:31:24 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
>
> >Actually, the more serious problem here is the matter of leaving
> >something in memory that causes the system to think it is still
> >running, and that stops the system from shutting down. If the
> >corruption isn't in Firefox proper and isn't in the profile, both of
> >which have been updated since the problem appeared, I don't know where
> >to look.
>
> I, too, have run across a problem shutting down (eCS 1.2 beta, but not public
> release). Dunno the cause, not sure if it correlates to upgrading FF to 1.07,
> but seems like it started sometime after that upgrade. I thought that maybe
> the problem was the old SETI client running under Ellie, but that's not the
> problem as far as I can tell.
>
> I have found that if I choose shutdown several times, eCS will USUALLY (but
> not always) finish the shutdown - usually 3 times is the charm. The other
> day, before I discovered that multiple shutdowns would work, I wound up with
> a corrupted FF profile. I chose shutdown and when it didn't work, I waited
> for no HD activity and did CAD. On reboot Checkdisk fixed allocation errors
> in 3 profile files (don't recall the names offhand) and FF wouldn't work
> anymore. Maybe you are correct in that FF isn't shutting down completely

That seems clear: the FF desktop object is hatched, just as it is for
a running program.

> I've looked for apps still running after closing them using SwapMonitor's
> process list before choosing shutdown, but haven't found anything. Everything
> seems to be closed, but eCS still won't shut down.
>
> When I wound up with a corrupted profile, I went to the Extensions page to
> reinstall my extensions into a new profile. I also saw the slow access to
> Extensions (main page and category pages) - haven't looked at Themes. Found
> that if I did a search for an extension, sometimes results would come up,
> other times an error, but doing the search again would work (sometimes
> slowly). Same thing with choosing a search result - sometimes the extension
> page would come up, other times error, but going back and re-clicking the
> extension name from search results usually worked (again, sometimes slowly).
> Seems strange to me - never had such behavior before.

Not quite what I have seen; the common thread with me and at least two
other people is that the site is very sluggish.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Reinstalling Mozilla apps (was: Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.)

Lewis Rosenthal
Yes, common wisdom is to use a clean directory for a reinstall/upgrade.
I ran into some trouble with this myself some time ago, as I used to
simply unzip one version over another. Now, I rename my Moz/TB/FF
directory(ies) from a command prompt, unzip to a clean tree with the
same top level name as the prior one, and use my .cmd file to start the
app. My profiles are stored elsewhere, outside the program tree, so
they're all safe and sound.

<snip>

On 10/26/2005 05:31 pm, Stan Goodman thus wrote :
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:50:19 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
> <[hidden email]> opined:

<snip>

>> Opening https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox from
>> SeaMonkey behaves as expected (per my earlier post). I get similar
>> results from FF 1.0.7, however...:
>
> This is not clear. Similar to what I reported?

Sorry for the confusion. Similar results between my SeaMonkey
performance and my Firefox performance when initially opening the page
(both are quick to render with no abnormal CPU usage).

>> Going to https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/?application=firefox also
>> seems to open in roughly the same amount of time in both browsers.
>>
>> Clicking on the link for Noia 2.0 (eXtreme),
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?id=72&application=firefox,
>> SeaMonkey immediately renders the page, whereas FF just stalls. The same
>> behavior seems to apply to other themes on that list, as well.
>
> If you wait long enough (if my experience is a guide) it will get
> unstuck, and procede to download. Depending on a person's other time
> commitments, this is equivalent to stalling.

Perhaps. I didn't wait around to see. Essentially, I started one browser
rendering the page and then started the other. When SM had it loaded, I
went back to FF and waited...and waited...and then I killed it. =:-O

> Perhaps the bug, whatever it is, will be fixed in FF v1.5GA. In the
> meantime, I'll start using Mozilla.

Moz rules!! ;-) Seriously, the latest SeaMonkey nightlies have been
killer apps, and (dare I say it?) appear to be every bit as stable as
1.7.11/12 (unless I do something stupid like test unsupported extensions
and obscure prefs - which I've been doing like crazy recently). I use
FF, too, don't get me wrong, but I'm a heavy MultiZilla user, and
without Multi, it's sort of like drinking decaf: it don't mean a thing
if it ain't got that swing...

>> Interestingly, the site appears to behave normally in FF 1.0.7 under
>> W2K. I haven't tried it under Linux as yet.
>
> Actually, the more serious problem here is the matter of leaving
> something in memory that causes the system to think it is still
> running, and that stops the system from shutting down. If the
> corruption isn't in Firefox proper and isn't in the profile, both of
> which have been updated since the problem appeared, I don't know where
> to look.

You know, I gained a huge measure of stability after (finally)
installing FixPak 4 (FP5 was not stable for me at all). I did it mainly
due to Peter's suggestion (in an earlier thread) concerning updating my
PMMERGE.DLL. Upon realizing just how old mine was, I attempted to just
update PMMERGE without applying the rest of the FP - bad move. now that
I've got FP4 in place, everything seems to be running better. One day
soon, I'm going to be rolling out new T43's for my brother and me, with
fresh eCS 1.2 installs. It will be nice to get to a newer codebase
(finally). I guess one of the "problems" with running such a typically
stable OS is that unlike others, we don't feel the need for constant
patching and service. Thus, we tend to suffer some degree of OS bitrot.

Sorry to stray OT...

<snip>

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.

Steve Wendt
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Moz rules!! ;-) Seriously, the latest SeaMonkey nightlies have been
> killer apps, and (dare I say it?) appear to be every bit as stable as
> 1.7.11/12 (unless I do something stupid like test unsupported extensions

The only thing that annoys me is all the extensions that don't bother to
support anything other than Firefox.  :(

Re: Reinstalling Mozilla apps (was: Re: Firefox locked out of Extensions and Themes.)

Stan Goodman
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:41:02 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Yes, common wisdom is to use a clean directory for a reinstall/upgrade.
> I ran into some trouble with this myself some time ago, as I used to
> simply unzip one version over another. Now, I rename my Moz/TB/FF
> directory(ies) from a command prompt, unzip to a clean tree with the
> same top level name as the prior one, and use my .cmd file to start the
> app. My profiles are stored elsewhere, outside the program tree, so
> they're all safe and sound.

That is indeed the common wisdom, and it is what I had been doing as a
matter of course since the year 1. Not long ago, there came a time
when an update to a fresh directory didn't work (in some respect --
the details escape me right now), and I was not the only one that saw
this. The suggestion was to go back to the previous version, then to
update by unZIPping over it; this solved that problem. So I did it
again, and that is where I am today. Back to the common wisdom, of
course. But one must keep in mind that wisdom, common or not, is not
immutable, and there is something to be said for whatever works.

On 27 Oct 2005 16:20:39 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:

>That seems clear: the FF desktop object is hatched, just as it is for
>a running program.

I'll take a look after I close FF - just haven't looked before, it may be
hatched as you say. I went looking for processes instead, which shows nothing
in SwapMonitor.

>Not quite what I have seen; the common thread with me and at least two
>other people is that the site is very sluggish.

It was the sluggish behavior (waited close to a minute on DSL connection to
get the main page) that got me using the search function, and, as I
mentioned, it isn't up to snuff either, in my experience.

Mike