Firefox l10n.

priti Patil
Hi list,

I am working on firefox l10n, so far I've been successful in localizing indic enabled firefox (build by sunil mohan) in marathi. Now I wants to work on ff 1.5.

But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one should choose the version of the package (firefox, openoffice.org etc....) to be localized. Should it be a stable or developer version?

Cheers

Priti Patil.

Re: Firefox l10n.

davidf (Bugzilla)
priti Patil wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am working on firefox l10n, so far I've been successful in
> localizing indic enabled firefox (build by sunil mohan) in marathi.
> Now I wants to work on ff 1.5.
>
> But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one
> should choose the version of the package (firefox, openoffice.org
> <http://openoffice.org> etc....) to be localized. Should it be a
> stable or developer version?
>
> Cheers
>
> Priti Patil.

Hi Priti

You need to estimate the amount of time its going to take you to localize.
If you have large resources, then you can translate things quicker.
So if you're going to translate everything within a month, and the
developer version will only be released in 5 months, then it makes sense
to localize the stable version.
Look at the product roadmap to work out this kind of information.
Generally for a first translation I recommend translation of the stable
version as it makes it easier to test, unless the developer version will
end up being released as stable before you have finished your translation.
Then you can keep going and update to the developer version when you are
ready
There's more info in the localization guide here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/start
See particularly:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/project_objectives
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/costing can help with resources etc

Hope that helps
David

Fwd: Firefox l10n.

priti Patil

On 12/13/05, David Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
priti Patil wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am working on firefox l10n, so far I've been successful in
> localizing indic enabled firefox (build by sunil mohan) in marathi.
> Now I wants to work on ff 1.5.
>
> But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one
> should choose the version of the package (firefox, <a href="http://openoffice.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> openoffice.org
> <<a href="http://openoffice.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://openoffice.org> etc....) to be localized. Should it be a
> stable or developer version?
>
> Cheers
>
> Priti Patil.

Hi Priti

You need to estimate the amount of time its going to take you to localize.
If you have large resources, then you can translate things quicker.
So if you're going to translate everything within a month, and the
developer version will only be released in 5 months, then it makes sense
to localize the stable version.

Short fall of resources, so trying with latest stable firefox 1.5 also hunting for pango patches for the same to make it indic enabled.

lly working on 1.0.7 also since I can migrate all the translations already done for 1.5/1.0.4. Pango patches needs to apply for the same, to make rendering proper or make it indic enabled.

Look at the product roadmap to work out this kind of information.
Generally for a first translation I recommend translation of the stable
version as it makes it easier to test, unless the developer version will
end up being released as stable before you have finished your translation.
Then you can keep going and update to the developer version when you are
ready
There's more info in the localization guide here:
See particularly:

Hope that helps
David

Thanks, it helped.

Priti Patil.

Re: Firefox l10n.

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2

priti Patil yazmış:

> But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one should
> choose the version of the package (firefox, openoffice.org
> <http://openoffice.org> etc....) to be localized. Should it be a stable
> or developer version?

The latest stable version is Firefox 1.5. You should focus on 1.5.

You can get more about Mozilla localisation project at [2].

Serkan

[2] http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Home_Page

Re: Firefox l10n.

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
BTW, I don't know why I skipped to [2] while numbering links. :-D

Serkan

Re: Firefox l10n.

davidf (Bugzilla)
Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:

> BTW, I don't know why I skipped to [2] while numbering links. :-D

It's quite logical. You skipped it because you were talking about "more"
There's implied something that comes before that, which is located at
[1]  :-)

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/

Re: Firefox l10n.

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
David Fraser yazmış:
> Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
>
>> BTW, I don't know why I skipped to [2] while numbering links. :-D
>
> It's quite logical. You skipped it because you were talking about "more"
> There's implied something that comes before that, which is located at
> [1]  :-)
>
> [1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/

Yesss. You got it. ;)

Serkan

Re: Firefox l10n.

priti Patil
Hi Ahmet,

On 12/13/05, Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

priti Patil yazmış:

> But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one should
> choose the version of the package (firefox, openoffice.org
> <http://openoffice.org> etc....) to be localized. Should it be a stable
> or developer version?

The latest stable version is Firefox 1.5. You should focus on 1.5 .

Before actually going for firefox l10n, I've created pango enabled firefox 1.5 build to solve rendering problem (related to indic script). Created an installer alongwith a tarball of application (browser) specific build. With tarball firefox works fine but while actually installing, it gives an error,

 Error [-620]: A xpistub call failed.

while extracting libplc4.so....

Can you rectify this ploblem please?

You can get more about Mozilla localisation project at [2].

Serkan

[2] http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Home_Page

Priti.

Re: Firefox l10n.

priti Patil

On 12/16/05, Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Priti,

priti Patil yazmış:

> Hi Ahmet,
>
> On 12/13/05, *Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     priti Patil yazmış:
>
>      > But still not clear with few points, based on what criterion one
>     should
>      > choose the version of the package (firefox, openoffice.org
>     <http://openoffice.org>
>      > <http://openoffice.org> etc....) to be localized. Should it be a
>     stable
>      > or developer version?
>
>     The latest stable version is Firefox 1.5. You should focus on 1.5 .
>

> Before actually going for firefox l10n, I've created pango enabled
> firefox 1.5 build to solve rendering problem (related to indic script).
> Created an installer alongwith a tarball of application (browser)
> specific build. With tarball firefox works fine but while actually
> installing, it gives an error,
>
>  Error [-620]: A xpistub call failed.
>
> while extracting libplc4.so....
>
> Can you rectify this ploblem please?

I've got a solution to this: Needs to have mozilla-browser package (whole mozilla suite) on m/c.

Some other problem:

firefox 1.5 installer crashes with an error message

root@jana:/home/jana/tmp/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
./firefox-installer-bin: symbol lookup error: /tmp/xpi.9kPqMO/bin/components/libjar50.so: undefined symbol: MOZ_Z_inflateInit2_

Any solution to this?
Firefox builds are made by another person in our localisation team and I
have almost no experince doing this. I'm sorry to say that I can't help you.

But I'm sure that that person and many others will read your question on
news group and try to help you.

Sincerely,

Serkan

--