Firefox keeps not responding

Lucifer Morningstar
Why can't Mozzila get it right?

In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

WaltS48-5
On 7/15/17 10:15 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> Why can't Mozzila get it right?
>
> In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
> running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.

Mozilla has it right for millions of users, just not you.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems>

Do all of those steps, then it will be right for you.

They do not mention that for troubleshooting, stop all your torrents,
Usenet downloads and anything else using your bandwidth.

Are you on a dialup, DSL, Fios, Wi-Fi, cable, or satellite connection.

All 3 of my Firefox versions work just fine for me on my 7.6 Mb DSL
connection, even with torrents downloading, streaming music and
sometimes a Usenet download in progress.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Disaster Master
On Sat Jul 15 2017 10:15:53 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why can't Mozzila get it right?
>
> In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
> running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.

4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.

Things will be slow, especially as you open more programs, but Windows
will at least run (and you'll need a decent sized page file).

If you want your system to run fast, ALWAYS get at LEAST 8GB of RAM (16
is better, and 32 is best, but more may be needed if you run lots of
VMs), and never use crappy Antivirus.

The best AVs in my experience are:

Free: BitDefender
Paid: ESET (NOD 32)

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Poutnik Fornntp
Dne 17/07/2017 v 13:26 Disaster Master napsal(a):
> On Sat Jul 15 2017 10:15:53 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
> Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why can't Mozzila get it right?
>>
>> In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
>> running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.
>
> 4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.

Funny, as 64 bit XP was rare and not well yet working thing,
and 32 bit XP could not use all the 4 GB of RAM,
no speaking about system and user address space.

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

On 7/17/2017, 1:52:51 PM, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dne 17/07/2017 v 13:26 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>> 4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.

> Funny, as 64 bit XP was rare and not well yet working thing,
> and 32 bit XP could not use all the 4 GB of RAM,
> no speaking about system and user address space.

Irrelevant. XP 32bit could use *most* of the 4GB (3.6GB or something
like that), and having 4GB was the only way to get there.

Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:07 Disaster Master napsal(a):

> On 7/17/2017, 1:52:51 PM, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dne 17/07/2017 v 13:26 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>>> 4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.
>
>> Funny, as 64 bit XP was rare and not well yet working thing,
>> and 32 bit XP could not use all the 4 GB of RAM,
>> no speaking about system and user address space.
>
> Irrelevant. XP 32bit could use *most* of the 4GB (3.6GB or something
> like that), and having 4GB was the only way to get there.

Relevant.

Most = not all

And the there is by default 2 GB (#) RAM limit
for the user address space + 2 GB for system space.

Usage of PAE can have compatibility issues.

(#) 3 GB by a system tweak

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Disaster Master
On Mon Jul 17 2017 14:26:56 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Poutnik
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:07 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>> Irrelevant. XP 32bit could use *most* of the 4GB (3.6GB or something
>> like that), and having 4GB was the only way to get there.

> Relevant.

Not really...

> Most = not all

Doesn't matter, you had to install 4GB to be able to access the max.

How much usable you have also depends on how much video ram you have
(the less video ram, the more usable RAM you will have for applications).

> And the there is by default 2 GB (#) RAM limit for the user address space

Not really sure what you mean by 'user space', but...

There is a 2GB limit per process (application), yes, but another
application could use the rest (the remaining 1.#GB).

> + 2 GB for system space.

Not sure where you get that from...

But again, the bottom line is you can only access the max if it is
there, and installing 4GB was the only way to get it.

Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:52 Disaster Master napsal(a):
> On Mon Jul 17 2017 14:26:56 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Poutnik
>
>> Most = not all
>
> Doesn't matter, you had to install 4GB to be able to access the max.

I have never said otherwise.

>> And the there is by default 2 GB (#) RAM limit for the user address space
>
> Not really sure what you mean by 'user space', but...
>
> There is a 2GB limit per process (application), yes, but another
> application could use the rest (the remaining 1.#GB).
>
>> + 2 GB for system space.
>
> Not sure where you get that from...

....The virtual address space for 32-bit Windows is 4 gigabytes (GB) in
size and divided into two partitions: one for use by the process and the
other reserved for use by the system. .....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366912(v=vs.85).aspx

Therefore, in standard configuration,
a process cannot allocate more the 2 GB of the virtual address space.

On 7/17/2017, 3:03:08 PM, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:52 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>> Doesn't matter, you had to install 4GB to be able to access the max.
>
> I have never said otherwise.

Not in so many words maybe, but your initial response implied that
installing 4GB was useless because it couldn't use all of it.

>> Not sure where you get that from...

> ....The virtual address space for 32-bit Windows is 4 gigabytes (GB) in
> size and divided into two partitions: one for use by the process and the
> other reserved for use by the system. .....
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366912(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Therefore, in standard configuration,
> a process cannot allocate more the 2 GB of the virtual address space.

Which I plainly stated...

>From your link above, you can end up here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp

Where, after some googling to clear up the confusion that Microsoft
engages in, the usable RAM for XP is 4GB minus 490MB Paged pool minus
256MB Nonpaged pool minus video RAM.

Not sure why I'm wasting neurons discussing this though since XP has
been relegated to the scrap heap for a long time now.

Dne 17/07/2017 v 22:02 Disaster Master napsal(a):
> On 7/17/2017, 3:03:08 PM, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:52 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>>> Doesn't matter, you had to install 4GB to be able to access the max.
>>
>> I have never said otherwise.
>
> Not in so many words maybe, but your initial response implied that
> installing 4GB was useless because it couldn't use all of it.

No, it was your incorrect implication of my words.

>> Therefore, in standard configuration,
>> a process cannot allocate more the 2 GB of the virtual address space.
>
> Which I plainly stated...

I was first.

> Not sure why I'm wasting neurons discussing this though since XP has
> been relegated to the scrap heap for a long time now.

If you asked, I would tell you.

On 7/17/2017, 4:47:27 PM, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dne 17/07/2017 v 22:02 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>> Not in so many words maybe, but your initial response implied that
>> installing 4GB was useless because it couldn't use all of it.
>
> No, it was your incorrect implication of my words.

I cannot 'imply' from your words. Perhaps you meant infer?

>>> Therefore, in standard configuration,
>>> a process cannot allocate more the 2 GB of the virtual address space.
>>
>> Which I plainly stated...
>
> I was first.

Congratulations, perhaps you would like a gold star?

>> Not sure why I'm wasting neurons discussing this though since XP has
>> been relegated to the scrap heap for a long time now.
>
> If you asked, I would tell you.

And you would almost certainly be wrong.

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Ray_Net
Disaster Master wrote on 17-07-17 13:26:

> The best AVs in my experience are:
>
> Free: BitDefender

I don't think that BitDefender is free ...

On 7/17/17 5:49 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
> Disaster Master wrote on 17-07-17 13:26:
>>
>> The best AVs in my experience are:
>>
>> Free: BitDefender
>>

> I don't think that BitDefender is free ...

30 day free trial.

<https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html>

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

S. McDuff
On 17-Jul-2017 18:04, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/17/17 5:49 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> Disaster Master wrote on 17-07-17 13:26:
>>>
>>> The best AVs in my experience are:
>>>
>>> Free: BitDefender
>>>

>> I don't think that BitDefender is free ...
>
> 30 day free trial.
>
> <https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html>

Free

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

On 7/17/17 6:11 PM, S. McDuff wrote:

> On 17-Jul-2017 18:04, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> I don't think that BitDefender is free ...
>>
>> 30 day free trial.
>>
>> <https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html>
>>

> Free
>
> https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Missed that link somehow.

Maybe I'll add it to my Win10 notebook.

S. McDuff wrote on 18-07-17 00:11:

> On 17-Jul-2017 18:04, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> I don't think that BitDefender is free ...
>>
>> 30 day free trial.
>>
>> <https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html>
>>

> Free
>
> https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
Using this link permit me to click on "Protection for windows" who bring
me to:
https://www.bitdefender.fr/solutions/internet-security.html
PRICE: 29,95 euros/year

Ray_Net wrote on 18-07-17 07:36:

> S. McDuff wrote on 18-07-17 00:11:

>>> 30 day free trial.
>>>
>>> <https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html>
>>>

>> Free
>>
>> https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
> Using this link permit me to click on "Protection for windows" who
> bring me to:
> https://www.bitdefender.fr/solutions/internet-security.html
> PRICE: 29,95 euros/year
Oups ! Foud it here:
https://www.bitdefender.fr/toolbox/

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Lucifer Morningstar
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:52:51 +0200, Poutnik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Dne 17/07/2017 v 13:26 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>> On Sat Jul 15 2017 10:15:53 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
>> Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Why can't Mozzila get it right?
>>>
>>> In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
>>> running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.
>>
>> 4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.
>
>Funny, as 64 bit XP was rare and not well yet working thing,
>and 32 bit XP could not use all the 4 GB of RAM,
>no speaking about system and user address space.

I had a Pentium 3 server with 8 GB RAM.
Pentium 3 is 32 bits.
It used PAE to address more than 4 GB RAM.

It had eight Pentium 3 900 Mhz CPUs with 8 GB RAM
and four 15,000 RPM SCSI hard drives.

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Lucifer Morningstar
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:26:56 +0200, Poutnik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Dne 17/07/2017 v 20:07 Disaster Master napsal(a):
>>
>>> Funny, as 64 bit XP was rare and not well yet working thing,
>>> and 32 bit XP could not use all the 4 GB of RAM,
>>> no speaking about system and user address space.
>>
>> Irrelevant. XP 32bit could use *most* of the 4GB (3.6GB or something
>> like that), and having 4GB was the only way to get there.
>>

>Relevant.
>
>Most = not all
>
>And the there is by default 2 GB (#) RAM limit
>for the user address space + 2 GB for system space.
>
>Usage of PAE can have compatibility issues.
>
>(#) 3 GB by a system tweak

On my i5 computer with 4 GB RAM Windows 10 system shows
4 GB RAM with 1.96 usable. Windows XP did the same.

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

Lucifer Morningstar
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:26:53 -0400, Disaster Master
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sat Jul 15 2017 10:15:53 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
>Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why can't Mozzila get it right?
>>
>> In case it is of any interest I am using Windows 10
>> running on an i5 quad core with 4 gigs RAM.
>
>4GB has been the absolute bare minimum for Windows since the XP days.

I disagree.
I had a computer running Windows XP with 96 MB RAM.
I have a dual core 1.6 Ghz Pentium with 1 GB RAM and Windows 10
and it runs ordinary programs nicely.

>Things will be slow, especially as you open more programs, but Windows
>will at least run (and you'll need a decent sized page file).
>
>If you want your system to run fast, ALWAYS get at LEAST 8GB of RAM (16
>is better, and 32 is best, but more may be needed if you run lots of
>VMs), and never use crappy Antivirus.
>
>The best AVs in my experience are:
>
>Free: BitDefender
>Paid: ESET (NOD 32)