Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

tanstaafl-2
On 2/9/2018, 12:44:57 AM, Lucifer Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:19:07 -0500, Tanstaafl
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/2018, 2:00:53 AM, Lucifer Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Pity you can't do anything useful with the latest version.

>> You mean like browse the web?

> Browse without it freezing and without it complaining that a script
> has stopped working.

I do it all the time. Either you have problematic Addons, some old
manual config changes or other profile related cruft that are causing
you problems, or maybe some bad hardware.

Bottom line, for most of us, Firefox, used intelligently, works just fine.

>> Pity you don't know how to use a web browser - but its never too
>> late to learn!

> Pity FF has become unusable.

Objection - redundant, and already addressed.

> Firefox without leechblock
So, you're incapable of keeping yourself off of Facebook on your own and
require an Addon to do it for you?

>  and down them all is no use to me.

Google is your friend - oh, sorry, you have to know how to use a browser
for that... my bad...

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/04/download-star-a-down-them-all-alternative-for-firefox/

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 2/7/2018 8:53 AM, EE wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Before I start I'd like to say I use firefox exclusively over all
>> other browser. I've been using since it was put into production. It
>> speed and the capability to use adons was a big plus in making it a
>> "safer" alternative to the opposition.
>>
>> But as time goes on it became more and more of a memory and resource
>> hog. And now since the last few updates it became even worse. It spawn
>> many individuals processes in task manager, you can't keep it on for
>> more than a couple days at a time before it slow the whole system to a
>> crawl. So much so that when it does slow to a crawl I usually kill the
>> processes manually, which you made tedious to do with so many processes.
>>
>> Come on devs, get a grip and make it back like it was, a fast reliable
>> alternative to everything else out there, not this slow, bloated piece
>> of software that can barely run for more than a couple days without a
>> restart. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it and seriously looking at
>> alternative because the joy of using something nice to use is getting
>>
> Pale Moon is like what Firefox used to be.  It can even use a lot of
> Firefox extensions.  There are also themes for it.

I use Pale Moon as my main browser, am really happy with it, and as you
say, most FF extensions work in it.

On 2/6/2018 10:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Before I start I'd like to say I use firefox exclusively over all other browser. I've been using since it was put into production. It speed and the capability to use adons was a big plus in making it a "safer" alternative to the opposition.
>
> But as time goes on it became more and more of a memory and resource hog. And now since the last few updates it became even worse. It spawn many individuals processes in task manager, you can't keep it on for more than a couple days at a time before it slow the whole system to a crawl. So much so that when it does slow to a crawl I usually kill the processes manually, which you made tedious to do with so many processes.
>
> Come on devs, get a grip and make it back like it was, a fast reliable alternative to everything else out there, not this slow, bloated piece of software that can barely run for more than a couple days without a restart. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it and seriously looking at alternative because the joy of using something nice to use is getting

I run this, it reduces memory usage for FF and other processes you
specify. I use it for FF, Opera, Thunderbird, Pale Moon, and
plugin-container.exe.

https://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/firemin/

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Lucifer Morningstar
On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:52:53 -0500, Tanstaafl
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 9/2/2018, 12:44:57 AM, Lucifer Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:19:07 -0500, Tanstaafl
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You mean like browse the web?
>
>> Browse without it freezing and without it complaining that a script
>> has stopped working.
>
>I do it all the time. Either you have problematic Addons, some old
>manual config changes or other profile related cruft that are causing
>you problems, or maybe some bad hardware.
>
>Bottom line, for most of us, Firefox, used intelligently, works just fine.

Firefox is not intelligently designed.

>>> Pity you don't know how to use a web browser - but its never too
>>> late to learn!
>
>> Pity FF has become unusable.
>
>Objection - redundant, and already addressed.

I don't recall talking about FF being redundant but it is.

>> Firefox without leechblock
>So, you're incapable of keeping yourself off of Facebook on your own and
>require an Addon to do it for you?

I don't use Facebook.

>>  and down them all is no use to me.
>
>Google is your friend - oh, sorry, you have to know how to use a browser
>for that... my bad...

You mean I should use a browser that works?
You are right to say Firefox is redundant.

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

WaltS48-9
On 2/9/18 12:44 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> Firefox without leechblock and down them all is no use to me.

Too lazy to search for replacements?

I think somebody already directed you to a replacement for Down Them All.

This might work for Leech Block.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-video-block/>

--
Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

The Real Bev
On 02/10/2018 01:33 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Browse without it freezing and without it complaining that a script
>>> has stopped working.

My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.

>>I do it all the time. Either you have problematic Addons, some old
>>manual config changes or other profile related cruft that are causing
>>you problems, or maybe some bad hardware.
>>
>>Bottom line, for most of us, Firefox, used intelligently, works just fine.
>
> Firefox is not intelligently designed.

I don't know about that, but it's certainly no longer designed by people
whose interests coincide with my own.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "I don't need instructions, I have a hammer."

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Balaco ocalaB
Em 10-02-2018 17:19, The Real Bev escreveu:

> On 02/10/2018 01:33 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.

I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
an example of a video that does not work in FF?

--
=
        quem você é?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

On 02/10/2018 11:32 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

> Em 10-02-2018 17:19, The Real Bev escreveu:

>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>
> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
> an example of a video that does not work in FF?

All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I had
no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
   It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

On 02/10/2018 12:20 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 02/10/2018 11:32 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>>
>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
>> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
>> an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>
> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I had
> no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(

Same problem with total virgin FF58 installation with NO configuration
at all.

--
Cheers, Bev
   It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Ray_Net
The Real Bev wrote on 10-02-18 21:20:

> On 02/10/2018 11:32 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>>
>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
>> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
>> an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>
> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I
> had no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(

That's not an example of a video that does not work in FF?

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Ron Hunter
On 2/10/2018 1:32 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

> Em 10-02-2018 17:19, The Real Bev escreveu:

>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>>

> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
> an example of a video that does not work in FF?

CNET!  ALL OF THEM.

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

Ed Mullen-10
On 2/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, The Real Bev created this epitome of digital
genius:

> On 02/10/2018 12:20 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
>>> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
>>> an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>>
>> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
>> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
>> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
>> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I had
>> no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(
>
> Same problem with total virgin FF58 installation with NO configuration
> at all.

And a new virgin profile?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

On 02/10/2018 01:28 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 2/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, The Real Bev created this epitome of digital
> genius:

>>> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
>>> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
>>> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
>>> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I had
>>> no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(
>>
>> Same problem with total virgin FF58 installation with NO configuration
>> at all.
>
> And a new virgin profile?

Of course.  I would have though that that was implied.

--
Cheers, Bev
     "Tough?  We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

On 02/10/2018 01:11 PM, Ray_Net wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote on 10-02-18 21:20:

>>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case because
>>> these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you give me
>>> an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>>
>> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
>> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
>> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
>> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I
>> had no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(
>>
> That's not an example of a video that does not work in FF?

There is NO facebook or CNN video that FF 58 (or 57 or 52) will play.
FF 58/57/52 will not play the videos that facebook and CNN provide.
Facebook and CNN videos will NOT play under FF 58/57/52.   Play it.  I
don't see how I can answer any more clearly.  This is a *specific* example:
https://www.facebook.com/helen.mcgoldrick.96/videos/1549820488405275/

[Slackware 14.2, in case anybody cares]

On 2/10/18 5:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 02/10/2018 01:11 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote on 10-02-18 21:20:

>>> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
>>> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
>>> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
>>> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I
>>> had no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(
>>>
>> That's not an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>
> There is NO facebook or CNN video that FF 58 (or 57 or 52) will play.
> FF 58/57/52 will not play the videos that facebook and CNN provide.
> Facebook and CNN videos will NOT play under FF 58/57/52.   Play it.  I
> don't see how I can answer any more clearly.  This is a *specific*
> example:
> https://www.facebook.com/helen.mcgoldrick.96/videos/1549820488405275/
>
> [Slackware 14.2, in case anybody cares]

Plays just fine here. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0 ID:20180131010234

Firefox Multi-Account Containers 5.0.1
NJS 0.9.5
Nightly Tester Tools 4.0pre20170912
Privacy Badger 2018.2.5 [DISABLED]
uBlock Origin 1.15.4

On 2/10/18 4:13 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 2/10/2018 1:32 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>>>

>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser,
>> except the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the
>> case because these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed).
>> Can you give me an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>>
> CNET!  ALL OF THEM.

All of them I viewed played here.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/58.0 ID:20180131010234

Firefox Multi-Account Containers 5.0.1
NJS 0.9.5
Nightly Tester Tools 4.0pre20170912
Privacy Badger 2018.2.5 [DISABLED]
uBlock Origin 1.15.4

I'll try on Windows 10 in a few minutes.

On 2/10/2018 4:13 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 2/10/2018 1:32 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>>> My bitch is the number of videos that no longer play, requiring me to
>>> use Chrome -- which I find distasteful.
>>>

>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case
>> because these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you
>> give me an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>>
> CNET!  ALL OF THEM.

On Windows10 I had the Tracking Protection in Firefox 58.0.2 set to
"Always". That prevented some CNET videos from playing.

Changing the setting to "Only in private windows" fixed that problem.

As a test, I set "media.autoplay.enabled" to "false". That prevented all
CNET videos from playing. So if you have that setting, I would suggest
resetting it to "true".

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/58.0 ID:20180206200532

On 2/10/2018 5:02 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 02/10/2018 01:11 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote on 10-02-18 21:20:

>>> All Facebook and CNN videos.  Many other news videos.  Youtube works.
>>> I've downloaded a number of FF extensions for facebook (older versions
>>> of FF, same problem) that deal with videos, but NOTHING works.  I
>>> thought that html5 was supposed to solve problems like these, but I
>>> had no problems with anything back in FF 40+ days :-(
>>>
>> That's not an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>
> There is NO facebook or CNN video that FF 58 (or 57 or 52) will play. FF
> 58/57/52 will not play the videos that facebook and CNN provide.
> Facebook and CNN videos will NOT play under FF 58/57/52.   Play it.  I
> don't see how I can answer any more clearly.  This is a *specific* example:
> https://www.facebook.com/helen.mcgoldrick.96/videos/1549820488405275/
>
> [Slackware 14.2, in case anybody cares]

Do you have "media.autoplay.enabled" set to "false"? That's probably the
problem. It needs to be set to "true".

On 02/11/2018 07:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 2/10/2018 4:13 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I do not know anything that will work only in that bad browser, except
>>> the Flash plugin based things (which are certainly not the case
>>> because these can be played in FF if the plugin is installed). Can you
>>> give me an example of a video that does not work in FF?
>>>
>> CNET!  ALL OF THEM.
>
> On Windows10 I had the Tracking Protection in Firefox 58.0.2 set to
> "Always". That prevented some CNET videos from playing.
>
> Changing the setting to "Only in private windows" fixed that problem.
>
> As a test, I set "media.autoplay.enabled" to "false". That prevented all
> CNET videos from playing. So if you have that setting, I would suggest
> resetting it to "true".

CRAP!  It was already set to true :-(

Same lack of performance in the virgin installation/profile, although I
didn't check the autoplay setting in that when I had it.

> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/58.0 ID:20180206200532

How do you generate that?

--
Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
   Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really

On 2/11/18 12:08 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 02/11/2018 07:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> CNET!  ALL OF THEM.
>>
>> On Windows10 I had the Tracking Protection in Firefox 58.0.2 set to
>> "Always". That prevented some CNET videos from playing.
>>
>> Changing the setting to "Only in private windows" fixed that problem.
>>
>> As a test, I set "media.autoplay.enabled" to "false". That prevented all
>> CNET videos from playing. So if you have that setting, I would suggest
>> resetting it to "true".
>
> CRAP!  It was already set to true :-(
>
> Same lack of performance in the virgin installation/profile, although
> I didn't check the autoplay setting in that when I had it.
>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/58.0 ID:20180206200532
>
> How do you generate that?

With this extension.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/

For older versions of Firefox, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird the user would
need version 3.10.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/versions/